News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

BrianLo

Original Poster
I do know 2021 was the 'old plan' when Star Wars was phase three after monstropolis. I always had the strong suspicion it was moved up in the timeline when they moved it to 'phase 2'.

We'll know pretty definitively in about six months time I'd say if the site still looks like it does and if there isn't serious excavation with cement in the battle escape attraction.... then yes it's on a year(s) behind DL timeline. A lot of Disneyland's current progress is still RoA related, six months ago there wasn't a whole lot yet done for actual Star Wars.

I'm still cautiously optimistic it will open in 2019 at WDW... but that's mostly because I want to see what's after Star Wars and don't want to wait until 2025 to have a reason to go back.

D

Deleted member 107043

WDW will have its massive Avatar World or whatever it's called to brag about for at least 2 years starting next summer, so I'm not all that concerned about Disney's Florida operations. SW Land's slow start out of the gate isn't likely to have any drag on overall resort attendance, especially with Avatar about to launch. Plus it looks like TS Land might open before SW Land, so there's that too.

Pam Hates Penguins

WDW will have its massive Avatar World or whatever it's called to brag about for at least 2 years starting next summer, so I'm not all that concerned about Disney's Florida operations. SW Land's slow start out of the gate isn't likely to have any drag on overall resort attendance, especially with Avatar about to launch. Plus it looks like TS Land might open before SW Land, so there's that too.

Avatar Land will just be a shiny reflection in the pan.

Phroobar

SWL at DHS won't have the theming around the land as you enter. There is no rock work or pretty entrance ways. All you get is an arch and your suddenly in SWL. No build up or sense of discovery. It will be as if you entered another part of the backlot dressed for a space movie. Disneyland's will be a hidden real place to explore and it won't have unthemed cabanas everywhere. Still the east coast will go nuts over it because they don't know there is better stuff out here.

mickEblu

SWL at DHS won't have the theming around the land as you enter. There is no rock work or pretty entrance ways. All you get is an arch and your suddenly in SWL. No build up or sense of discovery. It will be as if you entered another part of the backlot dressed for a space movie. Disneyland's will be a hidden real place to explore and it won't have unthemed cabanas everywhere. Still the east coast will go nuts over it because they don't know there is better stuff out here.

It's kind of ironic that in some ways the "blessing of size" on the east coast is actually a curse and the lack of land at DLR is actually a blessing in a lot of ways. Minus the crowding of course.

Last edited:

Little Green Men

I don't six months covers it. As far as I know, SWL at WDW is shooting for 2021 while it will go online at DLR by late 2018. WDW just sucks at life.
Star Wars Land. Opening summer 2019-ish.
Martin disagrees
It's simply not necessary when it's thematically appropriate to the rest of the park.

Old Mouseketeer

Not disputing that clean hands are important, but the situation you describe is pretty much the standard across the resort and at most Disney theme parks. I mean it's not like there are restrooms adjacent to all DLR eateries, right?

It varies according to certain criteria. Table service locations are supposed to have their own restrooms, although Cafe Orleans does not. Carnation is adjacent. Among DL Buffeterias, Plaza Inn used to have very small, non-accessible restrooms that are now part of the foyer. Zocalo is adjacent, but far too small. French Market is as distant as Cafe Orleans. Riverbelle didn't. Among counter service, Jolly Holiday and Tomorrowland Terrace are the worst.

At DCA, Carthay and Trattoria have restrooms, not sure about Grotto. Boardwalk is about as close as Orleans and French Market. For counter service, Flo's is great, Wharf and Garden are good, Jumpers is so-so and Weiners and Pig Cafe are terrible.

NOS was terrible overall before they combined the original mens and womens and built the new mens next to the DLRR.

And why on earth didn't they expand the restrooms at the Space exit into the old arcade space, especially the womens? The best kept secret at DL is the restrooms under the old Tomorrowland Skyway station.

Old Mouseketeer

It's gross. I don't think they have very good pizza ovens, and the ingredients are industrial-strength, canned not fresh, and not high quality. The crust tastes like baked Play-Doh.

< snip >

My rebel spies tell me they have seen the pallets of canned ingredients behind Pizza Port in the hot sun. So very not promising.

Phroobar

Martin disagrees

It's simply not necessary when it's thematically appropriate to the rest of the park.
Sure when the theme is cheap, ugly behind the scenes sets than it isn't necessary. Even USO tries to make Potter feel like a real place and not a bunch of cheap sets. How hard could it have been in the past to fill in the other side of the AT-AT over at Star Tours?

DDLand

Sure when the theme is cheap, ugly behind the scenes sets than it isn't necessary. Even USO tries to make Potter feel like a real place and not a bunch of cheap sets. How hard could it have been in the past to fill in the other side of the AT-AT over at Star Tours?
DHS is being dramatically refocused to drop the backlot feel. The unfortunately named Animation Courtyard will be the last most glaring vestige of the sound stages. We know a Star Tours retheme will eventually come to pass to bring that area in line with the new vision. When finished, the third park will be dominated by classic Hollywood, Star Wars, the Muppets, and Toy Story (maybe Marvel too).

The transition is supposed to be a sudden jaw dropping thing. It lacks some of the nuance of the Disneyland west entrance into Star Wars Land, but should still be satisfying and impressive to just about anyone. It will be very very great. It's also a little harsh to judge show pieces that were designed to expose their true nature. That was the point of the much of the park. The new direction will allow Star Wars Land to be just as immersive.

You also know those cabanas are destined to come to Anaheim right?

It's kind of ironic that in some ways the "blessing of size" on the east coast is actually a curse and the lack of land at DLR is actually a blessing in a lot of ways. Minus the crowding of course.
There's give and take. I love Disneyland's compact size, walkability, attraction density, and intimate charm.

I also love the Gorilla Falls Exploration Trail, which would never open in the middle of the City of Anaheim. Walt Disney World allows sprawling environments and attractions that Disneyland or any Disneyland could never match.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 107043

Walt Disney World allows sprawling environments and attractions that Disneyland or any Disneyland could never match.

This.

WDW will always be the de facto flagship Disney resort. None of the other Disney properties come close to being on the same level as WDW.

Old Mouseketeer

<snip >
The transition is supposed to be a sudden jaw dropping thing. It lacks some of the nuance of the Disneyland west entrance into Star Wars Land, but should still be a most satisfying and impressive to just about anyone. It will be very very great. It's also a little harsh to judge show pieces that were designed to expose their true nature. That was the point of the much of the park. The new direction will allow Star Wars Land to be just as immersive.
< snip >
If it's the kind of "sudden jaw-dropping thing" you get when going from DCA's Pacific Wharf under the rock arch into Carsland, then OK. It's nice to show people Carsland for the first time from Blue Sky, but going through that arch is memorable.

JediMasterMatt

Walt Disney World allows sprawling environments and attractions that hardly ever get funded.

FTFY.

WDW's blessing of size is its curse. The budget is the jam that gets spread too thin over a resort that has unfortunately proven to be viable with little funding from Burbank. Why spend money on something that is commercially viable using the Disney Parks brand and doesn't need to uphold the quality associated with it?

There is a reason why Disney will always spotlight WDW in lieu of the others - they have to keep those resorts full.

Phroobar

There is a reason why Disney will always spotlight WDW in lieu of the others - they have to keep those resorts full.

Disneyland doesn't need the spotlight to stay full. It does perfectly well without it. WDW would be a ghost town without it. That is why their attendance numbers keep going down year after year. It's the slow drop in quality.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom