Staggs resigns

WDW1974

What a great day. It's always nice when you say things are going to happen, months or years ahead of time, and explain why that is ... and are ridiculed by people who don't even know how to spell MEDIA and they happen. ... And this is just the start of CHANGE.

The only way this could have been better?

The Weatherman leaving ...

Last edited by a moderator:

WDW1974

I would be remiss if I didn't also remind you all of that cat on the HuffPo who called Staggs an ''oddly waifish man of anemic personality" and first talked about the succession problem at Disney and then the CEO fumbling entry to China ... all to get such 'insignificant' content pulled at the behest of Willow Bay Iger.

Not like he was telegraphing the situation for a different audience than we have here in MAGIC Land.

hopemax

Hey Spirit, since you know so much...what should we be looking for next, amongst the tea leaves? Iger isn't going to be sticking around longer now, is he?

WDW1974

Now why is Staggs leaving so suddenly? Why was it even handed to Brooks Barnes and the NYT by Zenia herself? Why is TWDC making itself and Staggs (and Iger for his 'faith' in him) look so bad at such a key moment in Disney history?

Well, the part about the BoD not wanting him as the next head of the company is absolutely true. Something I told y'all years ago now. Something knowing a few well-placed analysts might just know. ... But Tom knew this as well ... and he still wasn't leaving that cushy office in Burbank, one that likely was completely cleaned out over the weekend or will be soon (he is staying on just like Rasulo did ... or any exec has ...)

A scapegoat for Disney's debacle, which is what it has been, in China? That certainly could have factored into it. Because you don't leave the company when you have a contract for the next 26 months and are making a beachhead in the Chinese Mainland in under 100 days.

But more shoes are going to drop. Again, believe it or don't. Doesn't change the facts ... it never does.

As to Tom ... buh-bye, don't let the door to your office hit you on the a$$ on the way out.

asianway

Now why is Staggs leaving so suddenly? Why was it even handed to Brooks Barnes and the NYT by Zenia herself? Why is TWDC making itself and Staggs (and Iger for his 'faith' in him) look so bad at such a key moment in Disney history?

Well, the part about the BoD not wanting him as the next head of the company is absolutely true. Something I told y'all years ago now. Something knowing a few well-placed analysts might just know. ... But Tom knew this as well ... and he still wasn't leaving that cushy office in Burbank, one that likely was completely cleaned out over the weekend or will be soon (he is staying on just like Rasulo did ... or any exec has ...)

A scapegoat for Disney's debacle, which is what it has been, in China? That certainly could have factored into it. Because you don't leave the company when you have a contract for the next 26 months and are making a beachhead in the Chinese Mainland in under 100 days.

But more shoes are going to drop. Again, believe it or don't. Doesn't change the facts ... it never does.

As to Tom ... buh-bye, don't let the door to your office hit you on the a$$ on the way out.
Apparently being right makes you insufferable per #DisneyTwitter

MKCP 1985

What a great day. It's always nice when you say things are going to happen, months or years ahead of time, and explain why that is ... and are ridiculed by people who don't even know how to spell MEDIA and they happen. ... And this is just the start of CHANGE.

The Weatherman leaving ... or having a massive stroke at his lunch and leaving period.
Congrats on the correctness of your spirited musing. Is this the magic band chicken come home to roost, or does today's announcement have more to do with international shenanigans, or even something else?

Five minutes in the corner for that very last portion of that very last statement - that's not nice!

WDW1974

I think this means that Iger is getting another extension. So I'm surprised we didn't get any signaling of this from the spirit. Is this Shanghai fallout, or did folks not believe he was up to the challenge of modernizing the ESPN ship?

I may be good, but I didn't see this happening today. No way. ... As to Shanghai, I find it amusing that the NYT -- whom Disney leaked the news to (yes, I know this for a FACT!) -- did mention Shanghai ... and no other media outlet that I have read (only 5-6, but all prominently) has mentioned it at all.

Read into that what you will.

No Name

The Weatherman leaving ...

And yet you expressed the same joy when the Parks and Resorts top spot opened up. But then we got Chappie.

So that's what I am concerned about, who will replace him. I love your positiveness in these moments, and rarely do I see situations in a worse light than most here, but I fear for the future. Half of me is excited and half of me sees this as just a new age of the same kind of stuff. Or worse.

One of the worst things that I could imagine happening is Iger extending his contract. He's all but sworn that he won't do it again. But I could imagine him pulling some bs and saying something like the "oh, I have to lead this company more, it's my duty until we find a new leader, etc." I too am hoping for the best, but there are an equal number of worse things that could occur.

An evil is leaving, but is it just opening room for another evil? I really hope there is enough good left in the world that we can get a qualified individual to run the company.

WhatJaneSays

Me? My vote is Kathleen Kennedy. Unlikely but given today's shift by the board? Its more of a possibility

The only internal candidate I would support at present is Kennedy.

Disney is so incredibly toxic that an external candidate would be best. Maybe they could lure Burke away from Comcast with some outlandish compensation package. ;)

I do rather like Kennedy. Or at least she's the senior leader that I have the lowest inclination to want to shake 99% of the time.

WDW1974

Interesting to see what happens now. There doesn't seem to be an obvious successor, so does this mean Iger isn't going anywhere? Is this rats leaving a sinking ship, and Iger giving his friend a lifeboat. Is this chickens coming home and someone has to pay for poor Parks & Resorts decisions (Shanghai, MM+) etc.

Iger will almost assuredly leave. ... His replacement is almost assuredly going to be from outside the company. Fresh blood, which is so needed. Of course, we still have 27 months of Iger's destruction to go first. ... Unless ... well, I suppose if the BoD wanted someone very, VERY badly from outside they could likely buy Bob out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom