News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Again, PatF seemed to have a net loss in theaters. But not a big one.

That was more than made up for in VCR/DVD sales.

In the end PatF had a net profit for Disney.
Which goes to show that with enough exposure almost any Disney property can become profitable and/or popular.

See: Hocus Pocus

Mars Needs Moms coming soon to Space Mountain!

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Again, PatF seemed to have a net loss in theaters. But not a big one.

That was more than made up for in VCR/DVD sales.

In the end PatF had a net profit for Disney.
It lost at minimum $40M in its theatrical run. Billion Dollar blockbusters are lucky to make $50M post. There is NO way that this movie netted anything positive since it left theaters.

Netflix alone paid $1B to license Sony’s library. What makes anyone think this movie is worth anything more that $5-10M post?

But I guess losing $40+M these days for Disney would be considered a win.

Last edited:

MerlinTheGoat

It lost at minimum $40M in its theatrical run. Billion Dollar blockbusters are lucky to make $50M post. There is NO way that this movie netted anything positive since it left theaters.
The sales figures cited on the film's wikipedia article claim that the DVD release of PATF sold over 4.5 million copies and made $71.8 million in 2010. And as of 2019, it has allegedly made $119 million from its home releases.

That's assuming the source is accurate. But I do find it to be perfectly believable. There's ample historical precedent with a substantial number of Disney animated films flopping initially in theaters but later going on to become impressive sales juggernauts with rereleases. Especially on home video.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
While I know this was the original rumor, I find it hard to believe that Disney wouldn't have eventually rethemed Splash at WDW. Maybe (very small maybe) they would've chosen a different IP.

I think what happened was, an imagineer came up with the concept of retheming DL Splash with Tiana since her story takes place in New Orleans and their Splash is adjacent to New Orleans Square. Disney heard the idea and was like "wow this is a great idea, how do we make it fit in both parks?" And then we wound up with the story and attraction that is coming real sosoon.
It was stated waaay back when this started that originally the plan was in fact to keep Splash Mountain as is in Florida and Tokyo, given this was supposed to be a way to blend Critter Country better with New Orleans Square, not to wipe Song of the South off the map. Then everything went to pot in 2020 and it became "Eradicate every trace of Splash"

MagicHappens1971

Netflix alone paid $1B to license Sony’s library. What makes anyone think this movie is worth anything more that $5-10M post?
I don’t think anyone has implied or said that PATF is worth $5-10M….

The property by itself is probably worth north of 500M. The Disney Princess franchise is worth 45B.

Netflix was paying Disney 350M/year for new films prior to the streaming wars.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
The sales figures cited on the film's wikipedia article claim that the DVD release of PATF sold over 4.5 million copies and made $71.8 million in 2010. And as of 2019, it has allegedly made $119 million from its home releases.

That's assuming the source is accurate. But I do find it to be perfectly believable. There's ample historical precedent with a substantial number of Disney animated films flopping initially in theaters but later going on to become impressive sales juggernauts with rereleases. Especially on home video.
You do know that Disney only sees a percentage of those number? Home Video and physical media an only translate to approximately 25%. That also doesn’t account for marketing expenses which everyone always seems to forget exists.

Last edited:

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
I don’t think anyone has implied or said that PATF is worth $5-10M….

The property by itself is probably worth north of 500M. The Disney Princess franchise is worth 45B.
I’d love to see how you get to $500M please show me. Then I’ll take off my shoes and socks and you can show me how you came to $45B.
Netflix was paying Disney 350M/year for new films prior to the streaming wars.
It was not for a single film, it was for much of the MCU library and rights for Netflix to develop original programming based off of licensing agreements.

MerlinTheGoat

You do know that Disney only sees a percentage of those number? Home Video and physical media an only translate to approximately 25%.
I can't say I do know that. Where's your source for that number? I know there are costs involved such as the printing/writing of the physical discs and packaging (though optical media was/is an immensely cheaper form of media than prior tape based formats), as well as the fees needed to ship them out and stock shelves. But I don't know if I believe your claims that they only receive 25% of the profits from that. I think you're moving some goalposts here.

MagicHappens1971

I’d love to see how you get to $500M please show me.
I misspoke (or typed) in writing my post the way I did.

However there are 12 official Disney princesses. The franchise is worth 45B. So ~3.7B per princess/film.

I went on the more conservative side, and that’s how I came to 500M.
It was not for a single film, it was for much of the MCU library and rights for Netflix to develop original programming based off of licensing agreements.
I could be wrong, but the news articles that announced it implied that it was just for the films. And while yes they got a bulk of the Disney library, they were really paying 350M/ year for new content.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
I can't say I do know that. Where's your source for that number? I know there are costs involved such as the printing/writing of the physical discs and packaging (though optical media was/is an immensely cheaper form of media than prior tape based formats), as well as the fees needed to ship them out and stock shelves. But I don't know if I believe your claims that they only receive 25% of the profits from that. I think you're moving some goalposts here.
When $20 DVDs existed how much went to the retailer, distributor, manufacturer, marketing?

Retailers take 50%. Distribution/Manufacturing/Marketing take at least 25%.

What’s left?

Last edited:

MerlinTheGoat

When $20 DVDs existed how much went to the retailer, distributor, manufacturer, marketing?

Retailers take 50%. Distribution/Manufacturing/Marketing take at least 25%.

What’s left?
I wasn't asking for a repeat of the numbers, I was asking for a source of the numbers. The absolute highest numbers i've seen cited for the retailer's cut of the profit has been 40%. That's also for brick and mortar stores from what I gather. Online only retailers such as Amazon should be considerably lower.

Smiley/OCD

I wasn't asking for a repeat of the numbers, I was asking for a source of the numbers. The absolute highest numbers i've seen cited for the retailer's cut of the profit has been 40%. That's also for brick and mortar stores from what I gather. Online only retailers such as Amazon should be considerably lower.
40% if you’re selling the title at list price, but an overwhelming majority of those sales are within the first 60 days when they’re in sale…the markup will be MUCH less…many times new or featured titles are offered as a loss leader.

RSoxNo1

I'll preface this by saying, I'm cautiously optimistic about this attraction.

That being said, there's a fallacy that every IP is a franchise and that ever IP makes money. I'll call this one a special case, because the driver of the attraction change (in Disneyland) absolutely makes sense thematically. When combined with the public pressure and the change makes a ton of sense, for reasons other than synergy. Disney cat themselves on the back for righting a wrong, and do so with something that is connected to one of their biggest franchises: princesses.

Weather_Lady

PatF deserves better than retheming an old ride.

PatF doesn't deserve all it's getting. It's that simple.
Agreed! Or at least, it deserved better than _this_ retheme. Whether PaTF was a stellar IP or just a very good one, they took a movie with magic and romance and villainy and voodoo and life-and-death stakes and even a nod to the stumbling block of entrenched racism... and decided that what people really wanted more of was a childrens' sermon on ethical food production.

"Find the missing ingredient," indeed! What seems to be missing from Disney's Splash makeover is the slightest notion of what anyone enjoyed about PaTF in the first place.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

But I guess losing $40+M these days for Disney would be considered a win.
No, going by the rule of thumb, it only lost $22M.

Budget of $105M according to Wiki. Plus 50% for advertising: $158. BO was $271. Half of that is Disney's: $136. Total loss: $22.

Home Media sales: $122. Surely Disney saw at least half of that making PatF net positive.

So... where are your numbers from?

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
No, going by the rule of thumb, it only lost $22M.

Budget of $105M according to Wiki. Plus 50% for advertising: $158. BO was $271. Half of that is Disney's: $136. Total loss: $22.

Home Media sales: $122. Surely Disney saw at least half of that making PatF net positive.

So... where are your numbers from

I was referring to box office gross in that it needed $40M more at the box office to break even since that's the benchmark that everyone seems to like to use.

With regards to home media, the average retailer markup for DVDs is between 50 and 60%. The net profit to distribution (Disney) ranges anywhere from 20-30%). Marketing is not included but typically would be another 25%.

So over the course of 13 years it made Disney an additional $22-24M. A rousing success!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I was referring to box office gross in that it needed $40M more at the box office to break even since that's the benchmark that everyone seems to like to use.

With regards to home media, the average retailer markup for DVDs is between 50 and 60%. The net profit to distribution (Disney) ranges anywhere from 20-30%). Marketing is not included but typically would be another 25%.

So over the course of 13 years it made Disney an additional $22-24M. A rousing success!
That's enough to show it wasn't a loss.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom