News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Status
Not open for further replies.

MagicHappens1971

But some in here keep claiming it sells a ton of merch. If that’s going to keep being claimed, let’s see the evidence.
It’s anecdotal, I got attacked for saying the same thing about a different IP. Disney has said that IP in parks = more money, more sales, etc.

Disney has the data, again…. If it wasn’t selling merch, or they didn’t think it would, they would’ve chosen a different IP for this attraction.

Rich Brownn

Tiana's box office disappointment and its contribution to Disney shifting away from hand drawn animation is well documented- and considering how poor Disney's performance was in the 2000's, being the highest grossing 2D film they did that decade isn't exactly a high benchmark (though a quick Google search says Lilo and Stitch beat it by 2 million?).

It's a perfectly fine animated film- and better than a lot of Disney's output the last 20 years- but it was hardly a success in theaters.
It was profitable, but performed below expectations. It also made Disney afraid to use the word "princess" in a movie title (thinking it alienated the boys). Hence the retitle of both "Frozen" and "Tangled"

Brer Oswald

It’s anecdotal, I got attacked for saying the same thing about a different IP. Disney has said that IP in parks = more money, more sales, etc.

Disney has the data, again…. If it wasn’t selling merch, or they didn’t think it would, they would’ve chosen a different IP for this attraction.
Something something BlackRock.

It was definitely the most obvious (and profitable) of the limited options they had.

Tha Realest

This presumes it was done for largely, or exclusively, economic reasons. Again, if someone is going to say they’re doing it because of “strong merch sales,” show the numbers. Some of the sales data that’s been shared suggests the opposite.

Vegas Disney Fan

We’ll never see the internal data but there’s plenty of external data available via a quick Google search for “Disney Princess popularity”.

Tiana/PaTF #10

Tiana/PaTF #10

Tiana/PaTF #12

Tiana/PaTF #11

It’s not scientific or absolute but I see a trend.

Vegas Disney Fan

Because, one of those things is saying "omg Tiana doesn't deserve all this representation in the parks". The other is saying "omg Tiana deserves better." People on here are saying Tiana getting a store, restaurant and attraction is TOO much
it is too much… but it would be a whole lot more exciting if we were getting new additions to the parks rather than some reskins as a result of it.

I‘d say the same if they announced they were going to give us a Merida restaurant, ride, and shop. Give us 3 new attractions and it’s a huge win for everyone, simply replacing Big Thunder Mountain, Pecos Bills, and a shop with a Merida theme would bring disappointment rather than excitement.

mickEblu

Because, one of those things is saying "omg Tiana doesn't deserve all this representation in the parks". The other is saying "omg Tiana deserves better." People on here are saying Tiana getting a store, restaurant and attraction is TOO much

Disney is pushing Tiana but that doesn’t mean the movie wasn’t good or can’t make for a great attraction.

All of the following statements are true:

1. PatF didn’t do well in theaters and didn’t really resonate with the masses.
2. PatF is a good movie
3. It increased in popularity incrementally since it’s release
4. Disney is pushing Tiana hard post the events of 2020
5. PatF can make for a great attraction (but this ride isn’t really based on the movie and I don’t like what we’ve seen or heard.)

MagicHappens1971

it is too much… but it would be a whole lot more exciting if we were getting new additions to the parks rather than some reskins as a result of it.

I‘d say the same if they announced they were going to give us a Merida restaurant, ride, and shop. Give us 3 new attractions and it’s a huge win for everyone, simply replacing Big Thunder Mountain, Pecos Bills, and a shop with a Merida theme would bring disappointment rather than excitement.
However Tiana (her IP) is not at fault for the parks seeing less growth in recent years. Disney was going to retheme Splash, it was just a matter of time and IP they chose.

It's comparing apples to oranges... You don't have to be excited, but to say "it's too much", is a stretch...

In the Parks
No
PatF deserves better than retheming an old ride.

PatF doesn't deserve all it's getting. It's that simple.

MagicHappens1971

PatF deserves better than retheming an old ride.
If Frozen (the most commercially successful animated Disney franchise in recent years) only got a retheme, I don't see why this shocks anyone. I think that this retheme is going to be very well executed. With that being said, it is unlikely that Disney would've built a purpose built Tiana/PATF attraction otherwise. The ride system makes sense, and they were trying to boot out an old IP.
PatF doesn't deserve all it's getting. It's that simple.
So you would've proposed a B or C ticket get plopped down in MK?

In the Parks
No
If Frozen (the most commercially successful animated Disney franchise in recent years) only got a retheme, I don't see why this shocks anyone. I think that this retheme is going to be very well executed. With that being said, it is unlikely that Disney would've built a purpose built Tiana/PATF attraction otherwise. The ride system makes sense, and they were trying to boot out an old IP.

So you would've proposed a B or C ticket get plopped down in MK?
I think Frozen deserved something new, too. The ride they got makes no sense and only exists in that form because it was once Maelstrom (see Tokyo's ride).

I never said Tiana didn't deserve an E Ticket. My main point is that if it was going to get anything, it deserved something new. I loathe replacements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom