Spirited Spring Break News, Observations & Thoughts ...

Rodan75

Well, I may agree that 17-year-olds (and I'd even go a few years younger) are generally quite capable of consenting, but that is not what our laws say or reflect. You have sex with someone who is 17 years, 11 months old and you are going to jail (unless you are quite wealthy and/or powerful) and you'll be labeled a sex offender for life here in 'Merika.

But I agree that the issues of rape and drug abuse (and, if true, he tried to kill the kid by holding his head under water when he wouldn't perform an act) are much more serious. ... I am not sure I get what you are saying about choosing the defendants.

With Disney, it is much larger an issue due to their squeaky clean image plus having quite a few creatives in their employment who don't see much difference between someone who is 15 or 16 and someone who is 24. It isn't exactly something not known, even if it is Disney's Truly Best Kept Secret.

After seeing more details on this scandal last night, it seems pretty obvious that this is a cash grab. Singer wasn't named in the lawsuit that was filed in 2000 on some of the same incidents. Plus the FBI and local police were engaged, and this all happened around the same time that Singer was under suspicion for the Apt Pupil allegations.

Don't get me wrong, I think Singer behaved(s) like a creep and that his behaviors may have been criminal, however this suit, timed to coincide with the press tour for X-Men: DOFP is looking more like extortion than justice. Justice would have been pressing this case in 2000 when the first lawsuit happened and naming Singer then. I don't see this issue taking hold unless more accusers come forward within the next few days/weeks.

In this 'easy to offend' culture we have right now it is easy to fall into the trap of 'sexual abuse is a complicated issue and you don't blame the accuser' (which is true), however not ever allegation is true and not every lawsuit seeks justice.

Last edited:

DisneyDad1977

I hope you have your emergency exit plan mapped out… Just be careful.
Thanks again Dave. I have a route mapped out back to Kiev and a really good travel agent who works well with the embassy here. Hopefully I can get everything finished before I have to flee. By the way, I have never mentioned it, but your avatar features my favorite album from my second favorite band. I was really thinking about this because I swear I saw a Lars Fredriksen clone walking in Kiev the other day!

Rodan75

I think the point being raised isn't what does this mean for Disney, but rather, what could something like this mean for Disney.

Imagine if it happened to Joss Whedon.

Good point, but unfortunately it seems as TWDC has become pretty adept at handling these situations. I think it is also safe to assume someone at Marvel will be asked about the allegations at some point and I'm sure they have their talking points in hand already.

Lee

Adventurer
I think the point being raised isn't what does this mean for Disney, but rather, what could something like this mean for Disney.

Yes. That is exactly the point.

Disney is unlikely to be caught up in this case, but I guarantee they and every other studio are watching this closely. Especially if more suits emerge as a result if these "parties" that are coming to light.
Disney is not immune from this sort of thing. They have their own issues in-house they need to deal with.

Genie of the Lamp

Some tweets concerning SDMT possibly (for now at least):
<<I'm hearing a lot of stress from WDW CMs about Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. WDW management doesn't seem to have been able to instill widespread confidence and enthusiasm on SDMT yet. Rumors that it's not working right. "Yeti all over again" someone said. MK CMs are freaking out like SWO employees did before Antarctica.>>

All tweets were from @ ThemePark

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Yes. That is exactly the point.

Disney is unlikely to be caught up in this case, but I guarantee they and every other studio are watching this closely. Especially if more suits emerge as a result if these "parties" that are coming to light.
Disney is not immune from this sort of thing. They have their own issues in-house they need to deal with.

Two very good points. When child abuse/molestation allegations are brought up about any family friendly entity or property, it wouldnt be far fetched to think a report on it could very well mention TWDC who has had problems in the past in this area. A news report would associate it with Disneys past issues just to make the headline jucier.

Lee

Adventurer
Some tweets concerning SDMT possibly (for now at least):
<<I'm hearing a lot of stress from WDW CMs about Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. WDW management doesn't seem to have been able to instill widespread confidence and enthusiasm on SDMT yet. Rumors that it's not working right. "Yeti all over again" someone said. MK CMs are freaking out like SWO employees did before Antarctica.>>

All tweets were from @ ThemePark
Ooohhhhhh.....that's not good.

MerlinTheGoat

I wonder if the problems are caused by the vehicles, or something else. Perhaps even the projection effects on the dwarf faces if "yeti all over again" is any indication.

Captain Neo

And I think its a nonissue. What if it happens to Whedon? The Heat will all be on him the headlines will read "Avengers/Buffy The Vampire Slayer creator charged with allegations" and Disney will automatically send out a press release saying "These are very serious allegations and our Company does not condone this kind of behavior. We will watch this matter closely".

You really think people are going to stop going to Disneyland if Whedon or an imagineer like Tom Fitzgerald turns out to be a pervert? WDW1974 himself brought up an article the other day where a Disney Cruise Ship cast member was molesting an underage girl and the situation was taken care of. Similar things have occurred in the parks even a group of cast members were arrested for sharing child ography. Even if a chunks of the company are doing disgusting things it's not going to impact the parks and the brand in the same way that Blackfish tarnished Sea World.

yeti

And I think its a nonissue. What if it happens to Whedon? The Heat will all be on him the headlines will read "Avengers/Buffy The Vampire Slayer creator charged with allegations" and Disney will automatically send out a press release saying "These are very serious allegations and our Company does not condone this kind of behavior. We will watch this matter closely".

You really think people are going to stop going to Disneyland if Whedon or an imagineer like Tom Fitzgerald turns out to be a pervert? WDW1974 himself brought up an article the other day where a Disney Cruise Ship cast member was molesting an underage girl and the situation was taken care of. Similar things have occurred in the parks even a group of cast members were arrested for sharing child ography. Even if a chunks of the company are doing disgusting things it's not going to impact the parks and the brand in the same way that Blackfish tarnished Sea World.

They might stop going to Disneyland. They'll certainly stop going to see Marvel movies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom