Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Chaos

That's silly facebook style thinking. Most forums don't have "like" buttons. And, the opinion or statement that is most popular is not always the best statement.

I don't think you should judge a user based on their "stats"...stats are fun, but contribute nothing really.

The post count merely lets you know how active the user is overall (note yours) and the like count is partially a function of which threads they frequent and which users follow them, not a reflection on their total contribution to the forum.
Added another like to your like count.. cause IT MATTERS TO ME DAMMIT!!!!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Yes that would be Jesus... Jesus Montoya...
I remember when the craze to hire broderline illegals hit CEC...I fought it.

Hiring people who are qualified is one thing.

Hiring people because they barely speak English is just a bad idea...unless you speak their language as well.

I remember having a kitchen crew that I cleaned out in Fredericksburg where the DM was convinced that the management was the issue (it was, because the GM there had no spine)...

He had a lazy kitchen full of probably illegal (this was before SSN checks were mandated for our company) who were robbing him blind...he didn't see it but they were stealing from him and hampering operations intentionally.

Took me a few weeks to figure out what exactly was going on, then came payroll, I told them that I had an issue with their check.

Funny, when a Guest had an issue with the quality of food, they'd tell a manager "No comprende" and pretend that the burnt pizza that took 50 minutes to cook wasn't their issue...but when I told them there was a problem with their paycheck, they learned English really fast. And they all quit. Good riddance.

They were probably hired by some other restaurant company that listened to the sage advice of some harvard educated consultant who told them how "much money could be saved" by hiring those with questionable documents...and then underpaying them.

Makes me sick.

nytimez

Did someone mention Him?

the_jesus.jpg

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
You're supposed to be able to use the E-pass in Florida! I have. Worked okay. I don't know which states you had charges in, though, and haven't driven 95 through all the states you did. $32 in tolls is a LOT!

Hope your trip was worth it!

If I drive to Pennsylvania from my house on Long Island it costs around $30. The bridges in NY are ridiculously tolled and horrendously trafficked.

Last edited:

the.dreamfinder

Did anyone see (via Blue Sky Disney) that Bob Peterson has been removed as director of "The Good Dinosaur". I did find it odd that they didn't show a trailer alongside MU this summer. I hope they pull through. Thoughts?

Last edited:

AEfx

So, I guess MyMagic band CAN, WILL and DOES interact with you in your home!

I guess the fanbois will use this info to justify the ever increasing NextGen boondoggle budget!

If you have Disney's Infinity....lay your band across your console. If it can do that...it can do a lot more....with YOUR INFO!

@WDW1974 have you heard of any other non-park uses like this?

Oh gosh we covered this 30 pages ago.

Disney Infinity is already tied to your Disney.com account. In order to get a Magic Band and use the features, you have to have...a Disney.com membership. If they wanted to connect the data between the two they don't need to you to scan your bracelet, ROFL. They already have the data. And since people are openly trading bracelets (it just needs to read one to unlock the special feature), it would be incorrect data, even if they captured it.

The only data on that bracelet is a personal identifier code. None of your data is on that bracelet. Letting Disney Infinity know what # is on that bracelet is irrelevant, since both are already tied to your Disney.com account.

Seriously - the people who are worried about this - do you write checks? If you do, you are making an electronic payment anyway - the only difference is you write all your personal data (financial, address, phone often, etc. - and a copy of your signature!) mail it, go through dozens of hands at the post office, to be opened by a minimum wage worker in a clearing house who scans your check and (hopefully!) destroys it. Yet people insist "I don't pay my bills online!" when - yes, you do - you just pay for, and risk your identity and financial info by mailing it to people who make the electronic payment for you.

It's the same thing here...don't be scared of Disney, be scared of the government, law enforcement, etc. going through your every digital tidbit. A Magic Band (which you can choose not to have) is not going to end your world. I think the whole program is stupid - but it's not dangerous, besides the obvious reason that they are risking a lot of resort money on something that in the end no one is going to really care about.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
... not specifically the tech -- the government has better tech (although it's likely that Top People are working on it in that warehouse somewhere).

What's unique about this particular installation is that there's really no where else in the US that combines a mid-size municipal wi-fi network and a small city-size population all on private property and nearly universal buy-in buy the subjects of the test. A lot of people are interested in learning what goes wrong when you scale it all up.

Bingo!

alphac2005

Yeah, I could have told you that. Florida does suck. We (I don't know about you, but at least I) live in the worst state in the union. That's why I can't wait for them to make Puerto Rico a state, because then we will live in the second worst state in the union.

Every day, I find something else for why Florida sucks. Just the other day, I learned that GA, NC, SC, and VA (but not FL because FL sucks) are working with the Federal government to make long term incremental improvements to the existing SE rail corridor with the eventual goal of high speed rail.

Having been raised in New England and now lived in both GA and FL twice, it's still a toss-up in the "who sucks more?" department between GA and FL.

Tim_4

I have a "spirited observation..."

Last night, there was a completely off-topic and utterly ridiculous conversation over in Captain Neo's Phineas and Ferb thread. I had gone to bed before most of the hilarity ensued but I woke up in time to read honest-to-goodness laugh out loud jokes courtesy of @Sue_Vongello (with whom I often disagree) and a number of others. Right around the time I finished reading the thread, nine pages had become two after the moderators hacked and butchered away. Many of my ON topic posts were also lost in the purge.

Recently, on this very thread I believe, @The Empress Lilly pointed out that user @Pixiedustmaker has been gone for some time after being significantly bullied by other, "more popular" posters. @wdwmagic justified the treatment of Pixie because he or she was a "willing participant" in the conversations in which he or she took place. I happen to like the "willing participant" argument. We're all adults here, or at least teenagers with some sense, and I think we should be able to engage in conversations that make us angry or make us laugh or lead to disagreement. No one is forced to participate.

Why then, is the "willing participant" argument valid for bullying certain posters, but not for harmless comedic banter that happens to be off-topic (in a non-starter of a thread, I might add)? I'm even more concerned about the selective editing of individual posts. If I make a logical argument that follows A->B->C and the mods delete "B," I look like an idiot for leaping from A to C with apparently no logical connection.

I don't presume to tell @wdwmagic or anyone else how to run or manage this site. I am, after all, a "willing participant" and should abide by the community rules. That being said, it's just not fun anymore. I guess that's my main point. It's just not fun. Argument is impossible because someone eventually gets personal and then the LEGITIMATE points are thrown out along with the garbage ones. Humor is impossible because it's generally off topic. Didn't I read something about Miley Cyrus being a weapon of mass destruction very recently? I might stick around and chime in here and there but I don't have the patience anymore to engage in conversations just to have theme deleted a few hours later.

Sue_Vongello

Last night, there was a completely off-topic and utterly ridiculous conversation over in Captain Neo's Phineas and Ferb thread. I had gone to bed before most of the hilarity ensued but I woke up in time to read honest-to-goodness laugh out loud jokes courtesy of @Sue_Vongello (with whom I often disagree) and a number of others. Right around the time I finished reading the thread, nine pages had become two after the moderators hacked and butchered away. Many of my ON topic posts were also lost in the purge.

Recently, on this very thread I believe, @The Empress Lilly pointed out that user @Pixiedustmaker has been gone for some time after being significantly bullied by other, "more popular" posters. @wdwmagic justified the treatment of Pixie because he or she was a "willing participant" in the conversations in which he or she took place. I happen to like the "willing participant" argument. We're all adults here, or at least teenagers with some sense, and I think we should be able to engage in conversations that make us angry or make us laugh or lead to disagreement. No one is forced to participate.

Why then, is the "willing participant" argument valid for bullying certain posters, but not for harmless comedic banter that happens to be off-topic (in a non-starter of a thread, I might add)? I'm even more concerned about the selective editing of individual posts. If I make a logical argument that follows A->B->C and the mods delete "B," I look like an idiot for leaping from A to C with apparently no logical connection.

I don't presume to tell @wdwmagic or anyone else how to run or manage this site. I am, after all, a "willing participant" and should abide by the community rules. That being said, it's just not fun anymore. I guess that's my main point. It's just not fun. Argument is impossible because someone eventually gets personal and then the LEGITIMATE points are thrown out along with the garbage ones. Humor is impossible because it's generally off topic. Didn't I read something about Miley Cyrus being a weapon of mass destruction very recently? I might stick around and chime in here and there but I don't have the patience anymore to engage in conversations just to have theme deleted a few hours later.

I'm assuming this was a compliment. And operating under that assumption I offer a sincere thank you!

MattM

I find this very distressing. Surely in real life you do not walk up to a stranger in a McDonald's and tell him in his face that he is a troll, an idiot?

Why do you feel entitled to say such beastly things about your fellow man? Somebody you don't even know?

Please, think about what you are doing. You are talking about an actual human being here, an actual person. Somebody who never did you any harm.

Because this is the internet. I've usually found the people less likely to say something in real life are more likely to say something online. Easy to hide behind a screen.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

While you may have a valid point in general, in this case it was fairly moderated. That thread was a complete train wreck. Actually, they probably could have just deleted the whole thread. There wasn't even much of a valid counter-argument to the original post it just went straight to personal insults.

As far as disagreeing with the "popular kids" it does take some thick skin and you can't take the bait and get into it when someone starts to turn it personal. There are a few posters left who still offer an opposing point of view with some supporting facts or educated opinions and I hope that doesn't change. If we all just post the same thing and then pat each other on the back for being so smart it isn't particularly interesting to read. It becomes the polar opposite of the Disney Parks blog where only happy, positive thoughts and comments are allowed. I don't want to see that. In other words, stick around.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

If you want to engage in just fun chit chat, there is a board just for that. http://forums.wdwmagic.com/forums/chit-chat.22/

But in the main News board, should we be having hundreds of pages of off-topic discussion? My thought on that is no. So I do my best to keep it on topic.

In terms of your point about what is deleted and what isn't. As an example, it took me over an hour to clear things up this morning - what a waste of my time. I can't read EVERY single post, and make decisions about how that relates to what has gone before, and if the poster will be offended that it has been deleted, and did I get part A, and C. I just do my best, and accept I cannot please everyone.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Wall Street. Touting would be a better word than advertising.
Ok, completely different beast there.. and even there I do not think they have been boasting at all either. More, answering of questions and setting the stage of new product rollouts. How much time on conference calls is dedicated to that subject? When do they LEAD with that subject?

I think you misplace the hype around the topic in the community as 'hype' from the company.. far from it.

MOXOMUMD

Yeah, but @dxer07002 has been a member here since 2004. The like feature has not been around that long. Logic my friend, logic.
True, true. Almost half of the members on the "most likes" list have only been here a couple of years and post in threads where posting "Beignets" will get a dozen hits or every day they post in the trip countdown will bring in 8+ "likes". (Nothing wrong with that.) I agree "likes" are not a status symbol but a cool feature @wdwmagic has given us. I detest when people make the comparison, "Well, he has 5,000 posts but only 500 likes." Duh, said poster has been a member for say 8 years. If "likes" were tallied from the beginning some members would no doubt be in the 6-digit range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom