Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
They're for Xmas week crowds until NYE. They also put them behind America where you need to go backstage to get them.

Apparently the copious amount of alcohol are to blame...

That's just great. ... They don't use them in Food and Wine yet feel the need now?!

No wonder TDO is pushing for two Food and Wine Fests a year. All they have to do is sell booze and never add any attraction or even decorate the place for Christmas.

Wonder if they'll open the massive World Showplace restrooms this week too or add porta potties, but leave the facilities they have behind a gate.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I'm a fan. Of both of you guys. And Martin. And a few others. :)

And I'm a fan of yours as well ... and Martin's too (but he knows that!)

What a Christmas lovefest ... all we need is some eggnog (Spirited secret alert: I have never in my life had eggnog ... just like how many fanbois have never kissed a girl!) and mistletoe and we could have an afterparty.

articos

What a Christmas lovefest ... all we need is some eggnog (Spirited secret alert: I have never in my life had eggnog ... just like how many fanbois have never kissed a girl!) and mistletoe and we could have an afterparty.
Aw, well, shucks! :) Also, eggnog = booze = recommended. Even if you don't care for it, it doesn't matter after glass number 3. Holiday spirit and all. *disclaimer: drink responsibly. unless you work in a theme park, on a theme park or near a theme park. In that case, drink irresponsibly. *disclaimer #2: kids, don't try this at home, and ignore disclaimer #1. You must be this tall to consume said nog. Merry and all that.

ULPO46

What is the status of Epcot adding another country never. I know that Spain and Greece are out of the question because of the recession but have you heard anything?

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
To a large degree, people have stopped consuming WDW’s product. TDO has been dealing with underperforming financials for several years. Attendance is down 2 out of the last 3 years, room occupancy is down to 78%. These are ominous trends. It’s probably the major reason Burbank is unhappy with TDO; WDW is not meeting expectations.

Rather than trying to improve their product further, something I’m not sure TDO knows how to do, they’ve instead focused on finance-based solutions. That’s why WDW’s most recent “innovations” have been “free dining”, room discounts, DDP, more DVC, more restaurants, more retail, and higher ticket prices. These are finance-based solutions used to improve WDW’s numbers. Don’t buy into the hype you are going to hear emanating from Disney. NextGen is another finance-based solution to WDW’s continued underperformance.

Before my reply... Full disclosure, I have bias in the fact that my background is in finance but not with TWDC.

That being said I think there needs to be changes to efficiency in P&R. Their margins are roughly in the 17% range (don't have them up and don't want to look up the exact %) and that is with adding depreciation back (which given the state of the park you really shouldn't do that because there is an issue in WDW). That is pretty poor in my honest opinion and they SHOULD be doing better. Now I wouldn't expect normal industry margins but definitely better than that. If next gen can produce efficiencies than it is a good idea and ON PAPER it seems this way. It is fair to say on paper and real world aren't the same.

They honestly shouldn't need advanced RFID wristbands to find their faults though... They are sort of obvious and perhaps hiring competent new blood would be better. Though I suspect that wouldn't fit with the yes man prototype employee of tomorrow.

Other than that I agree with what you said and as someone who just recently got a degree... The stuff they teach you only exists in the school's fantasyland (like that pun?). If everyone only crunched numbers and took zero risk innovation would stall. Disney needs a visionary and a risk taker. They also need a numbers guy but in the position of CFO... I think give and take would be perfect... some fiscal restraint but also some fulfilled vision/innovation. The world has enough poindexters and not enough visionaries.

TalkingHead

Afterparty only if the Splash Mtn CM shows up.

articos

Before my reply... Full disclosure, I have bias in the fact that my background is in finance but not with TWDC.

That being said I think there needs to be changes to efficiency in P&R. Their margins are roughly in the 17% range (don't have them up and don't want to look up the exact %) and that is with adding depreciation back (which given the state of the park you really shouldn't do that because there is an issue in WDW). That is pretty poor in my honest opinion and they SHOULD be doing better. Now I wouldn't expect normal industry margins but definitely better than that. If next gen can produce efficiencies than it is a good idea and ON PAPER it seems this way. It is fair to say on paper and real world aren't the same.

They honestly shouldn't need advanced RFID wristbands to find their faults though... They are sort of obvious and perhaps hiring competent new blood would be better. Though I suspect that wouldn't fit with the yes man prototype employee of tomorrow.

Other than that I agree with what you said and as someone who just recently got a degree... The stuff they teach you only exists in the school's fantasyland (like that pun?). If everyone only crunched numbers and took zero risk innovation would stall. Disney needs a visionary and a risk taker. They also need a numbers guy but in the position of CFO... I think give and take would be perfect... some fiscal restraint but also some fulfilled vision/innovation. The world has enough poindexters and not enough visionaries.
You just coined a new acronym: YMPEOT. It's like EPCOT but more willing to please. Unfortunately, this model is permanently and irrevocably flawed.

ParentsOf4

I appreciate where you are coming from but it’s been TDO’s laser-like focus on efficiency that has gotten them into this mess. Focusing on efficiency typically leads to short-sighted decisions that have consequences later. The “improve efficiency” decisions made 5-10 years ago are coming back to rear their ugly heads today. (Just ask WDW1974 what he thinks of today's more efficient burgers & fries.)

As you allude to, TDO needs to focus on innovation and growth. TDO would not be blazing a new business strategy here. It’s what they used to do all the time and what parks such as DLR, UOR, and SW are successfully doing today. Most businesses consist of cycles of growth then efficiency, growth then efficiency. TDO has given up on the growth part of this cycle.

Financially, NextGen could work. (See my analysis here http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/nextgen-deep-impact.857159/page-2#post-5244711) However, it’s another short-term solution. It doesn’t address the underlining structural issues, prevent the theme parks from needing maintenance, or stop the attractions from growing old and tired. It will lose most of its luster once WWOHP2 and Antarctica open up. Despite what TDO wants to believe, most theme park visitors chase after the next thrill. There is nothing thrilling about NextGen.

As far as the real world goes, armchair executives (and TDO has a lot of them) would rather sit in meetings letting Marketing & Finance walk through PowerPoint presentations while texting on their iPhones than get off their backsides, get into the parks, walk around, and talk with their customers to get a good sense of what’s really happening. On the few occasions that they do, they take the guided tour given to them by their direct reports who are deathly afraid that they'll get canned if anything goes wrong. Better yet, they should walk into the local mall and ask total strangers when's the last time they visited WDW and what would it take to get them to come back.

In short, TDO needs to update their product, not repackage it.

sweetpee_1993

I sat here and read 18 frickin' pages and ended up with a lovey sap-fest. This is why I read 18 pages. At no point in pages 1-17 did I ever think this is where 18 would go. It's like a ride....minus plastics and mansion-thick dust.

Surely you must be kidding about the eggnog?! Even I discovered the wonders of the bottled versions before it was legal for me to do so. You really must try this. It could change your perspective on life. Really.

Aw, well, shucks! :) Also, eggnog = booze = recommended. Even if you don't care for it, it doesn't matter after glass number 3. Holiday spirit and all. *disclaimer: drink responsibly. unless you work in a theme park, on a theme park or near a theme park. In that case, drink irresponsibly. *disclaimer #2: kids, don't try this at home, and ignore disclaimer #1. You must be this tall to consume said nog. Merry and all that.

I'll go with the disclaimers. But yeeeeeess...I'm throwing my recommend on the table here, too.

@ParentsOf4, at the risk of delving into the page 18 lovey sap-fest, I read your posts...you know, the good ones...and I always end up in 1 of 2 places:

1. Hands raised to the sky jumping out of my chair shouting "Amen!" or "Hallelujah!" Preach it. Put it all out there. It's delightful. No better word for it. Deeeeeelight-full!

~~or~~

2. I think I love this person. Can I say that? Would it be too weird? Crap. Where's the "Like" button. Where's the "Love" button I keep hearing about???

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Thanks for the 'splanation, but it's still not a good excuse.

It's 2012. This should be a simple thing to fix. As soon as the parks lose that music, there is a palpable feeling that something is off. ... I wonder if Erin Youngs is even aware of this and views it as an issue.
I rather hope she's having lessons in public speaking. Still makes me wince.

And if she dare actually attempt a second food and wine.... One is bad enough. They've trashed my park too much already.

Californian Elitist

I've been the WDW three times this year, no trip was less than a week. I enjoyed every trip. But, the place never sparkled the way Disneyland did.

Here's an example: At Disneyland some of the hippos failed to work on Jungle Cruise. Right after the ride, I overheard CMs talking about those hippos - and whether or not they'd shut down the ride because it was not "show ready."

Later in the day, the ride was down. I don't know if it was over the hippos, but I assume it was.

Not a chance in the world they'd take that ride down at WDW over some broken hippos. I don't even think it's up for discussion there. Heck, during my last trip there, there were so many figures broken or missing on it's a small world that it almost looked vandalized at times.

I remember, when I worked in Fantasyland at Disneyland, working Pinocchio one day and a guest came off the ride told me the bright star towards the end of the ride wasn't working. We evacuated the ride, closed the queue and shut down the ride immediately. I remember during training, my lead telling me we couldn't open a ride, or have it running if even so much as one show effect wasn't working properly. I don't know why the same thing isn't applied at WDW. Makes no sense, especially since show is one of the four keys!

Disneyhead'71

I remember, when I worked in Fantasyland at Disneyland, working Pinocchio one day and a guest came off the ride told me the bright star towards the end if the ride wasn't working. We evacuated the ride, closed the queue and shut down the ride immediately. I remember during training, my lead telling me we couldn't open a ride, or have it running if even so much as one show effect wasn't working properly. I don't know why the same thing isn't applied at WDW. Makes no sense, especially since show is one of the four keys!
If they did that today, nothing in WDW would be open. They have really dug themselves into a pit with lack of maintenence. If they had stayed on top of it, the place would be easy to spit shine into sparkling shape for things like a grand opening of "The Largest Expansion in the Magic Kingdom's History". Now TDO is hopeing that those that know better don't come back. That is why the MO now is to go after the "once-in-a-lifetimers".
I just have to question the wisdom of turning away an ardent fanbase.

Longhairbear

I rather hope she's having lessons in public speaking. Still makes me wince.

And if she dare actually attempt a second food and wine.... One is bad enough. They've trashed my park too much already.
Agree to disagree on the one F&W. We love it, and book for that time specifically but it will be 3 years since we've been back to WDW. I really don't want another F&W at EPCOT, that cheapens it. DLR has yet to reinstall it's F&W , and I think it's a hard sell because of local laws, and DCA food & beverage backlash.

kittybubbles

I remember, when I worked in Fantasyland at Disneyland, working Pinocchio one day and a guest came off the ride told me the bright star towards the end if the ride wasn't working. We evacuated the ride, closed the queue and shut down the ride immediately. I remember during training, my lead telling me we couldn't open a ride, or have it running if even so much as one show effect wasn't working properly. I don't know why the same thing isn't applied at WDW. Makes no sense, especially since show is one of the four keys!

I have to guess that WDW's management is judged largely on guess satisfaction scores which seems to have caused them to be fearfull to have any attraction closed ever for any reason. It must be why they like the 'once in a lifetime' visitor as they might not notice anything being wrong.

To me, i feel really bad when I ride pirates and only the dialog sound track is playing (imagine watching a movie without a musical score to set the mode)....heck, I recall as a kid how funny it was in the village fire scene that they had a women chasing a pirate with a broom, but that is totally lost now that all the scenes show this as I guess it offended folks that pirates would chase women....anyway, the last time I was there (only one day for a pass holder preview of FLE) I heard plenty of guest gripping about Splash and Priates being down so often...but when I got to ride pirates, the sound system seemed to be working much better than the last bunch of rides.

I wonder if Tigger ever started moving again in the 'come bounce w/ me' scene in the pooh ride.

flynnibus

Premium Member
They have sites that are open to the public and they tweet their every move and they somehow think you can't read or comment on what they leave open to the world.

I'm mostly public.. but you won't find out when I poop'd, went to bed, or me asking cyberspace which thing I should get from the dinner menu :)

I would guess that crowds at DLR will go down significantly after the 1st, but still be moderate ...I take it you'll be posting a trip report?

TR? We'll see.. depends on if anything notable happens. Since this is a trip just for me and the Ms for the anniversary.. I'll be focused on us and not trying to capture for everyone else. But I'll probably share what the Ms thought of DLR as a n00b while she's grown up in WDW with snowbird grandparents in Kissimmie

And crowds.. looks like they'll be higher than I hoped. I bought into Lou's world for this trip to see what they thought, and they are claiming basically 9/10 crowds.

As for being so active on Twitter.. Touringplans ignored me when I tried to ask them a customer service question. Losers.

asianway

THEY WILL!!

.............on NYE for the special buffet that costs $70
When the DL Hotel rolls out the ballroom for Mothers Day & Thanksgiving they fill the room with live music and character meet n greets. King crab too - what do you get for the 70 bones from TDO? Other than the special bathrooms

whylightbulb

I appreciate where you are coming from but it’s been TDO’s laser-like focus on efficiency that has gotten them into this mess. Focusing on efficiency typically leads to short-sighted decisions that have consequences later. The “improve efficiency” decisions made 5-10 years ago are coming back to rear their ugly heads today. (Ask WDW1974 what he thinks of the more efficient burgers & fries.)

As you allude to, TDO needs to focus on innovation and growth. TDO would not be blazing a new business strategy here. It’s what they used to do all the time and what parks such as DLR, UOR, and SW are successfully doing today. Most businesses consist of cycles of growth then efficiency, growth then efficiency. TDO has given up on the growth part of this cycle.

Financially, NextGen could work. (See my analysis here http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/nextgen-deep-impact.857159/page-2#post-5244711) However, it’s another short-term solution. It doesn’t address the underlining structural issues, prevent the theme parks from needing maintenance, or stop the attractions from growing old and tired. It will lose most of its luster once WWOHP2 and Antarctica open up. Despite what TDO wants to believe, most theme park visitors chase after the next thrill. There is nothing thrilling about NextGen.

As far as the real world goes, armchair executives (and TDO has a lot of them) would rather sit in meetings letting Marketing & Finance walk through PowerPoint presentations while texting on their iPhones than get off their backsides, get into the parks, walk around, and talk with their customers to get a good sense of what’s really happening. On the few occasions that they do, they take the guided tour given to them by their direct reports who are deathly afraid that they'll get canned if anything goes wrong. Better yet, they should walk into the local mall and ask total strangers when's the last time they visited WDW and what would it take to get them to come back.

In short, WDW needs to update their product, not repackage it.
Okay it's obvious that you are one of the rare good TDO executives that "gets it" and has seen the majority of all this first-hand, or you know someone that is. Looking at your posts I believe you have effectively communicated the the foul stench of the typical TDO manager's arrogance and ignorance. I have worked with these people so I can tell you that your observations are spot-on and I can point to specifc people within the organization that think and behave the way you have described. They would no sooner talk to one of the "marks" that pay their salary than they would take a swim in the sewer. They have no respect for the product and only think of it as a means of advancement for themselves to get a "real job" somewhere. Many of them have literraly never step foot inside one of the parks accept when they were forced to for orientation. I'm talking some high level managers here; many of whom that make decisions directly impacting the guest experience.

Alektronic

That would never happen at WDW, what takes priority is Hourly Ride Counts. I have seen entire show scenes down and they continue to run the ride, but if a people counter doesn't work or the opsheet doesn't update that is a big problem. They will put in extra people to just manually count the riders with a hand clicker because that is the most important thing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom