Something Happening at Finding Nemo: The Musical?

Ignohippo

Original Poster
I'm hearing reports that the afternoon performance was halted halfway through and cast members are being seen outside walking away from the theater. No passes are being given for future performances, either.
Anyone know what's up?

Marc Davis Fan

I hope the next step for Animal Kingdom after Avatar is a tear down of Dinorama that includes a better use of this space. Fully expand Dinoland USA or put in a new land on that footprint.

This would be the last step to making Animal Kingdom a near-perfect park, IMHO. The stunning beauty of Pandora (from what we can discern so far), and the excellent-quality expansions of Harambe, etc., have further solidified Animal Kingdom the most immersive WDW theme park (again, IMHO). But the quality of these additions also makes Dino-Rama stand out like a sore thumb even more than it did before. For example, the contrast between Pandora and Dino-Rama is pretty mind-boggling, if you really stop to think about it.

Dinoland does not create the same motivation to explore that the other Animal Kingdom lands do. The combined Dino-Rama and Theater in the Wild space would be perfect for an attraction that features a continuation of the style of rockwork seen at Dinoland's entrance / Boneyard area. That would give the land a much greater sense of place. Perhaps a D-ticket, e.g., a family-friendly coaster such as a variation on Excavator, would work well.

Haymarket2008

I'm thinking it's time for this show to be retired. I hope the next step for Animal Kingdom after Avatar is a tear down of Dinorama that includes a better use of this space. Fully expand Dinoland USA or put in a new land on that footprint.

Agreed. It is a well done show, but a brand new one that fits more in line with the park/land it resides in is required.

jaxonp

I don't think there are any plans to touch dinorama, unfortunately, and Nemo is out of place, no doubt.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I gotta disagree with the above! Finding Nemo - The Musical is legit probably one of the most impressive and creative theme park shows to ever exist! Even at Disney! They legit put in so much effort into creating original musical numbers, impressive puppetry, and many other elements into what originally had nothing to do with a musical at all! The actors are phenomenal, the songs are catchy... It's truly a remarkable show!

They should work on replacing the more outdated ones, particularly Mermaid and Beast over at the Studios. Nemo should be the least of Disney's worries. It was a much needed replacement for Tarzan Rocks... At least, in my opinion. As a child, Tarzan was probably the most boring thing I ever watched. My parents always dragged me to it. So, I guess I'm biased. But I rank Nemo over Festival of the Lion King any day (Yes I went that far. Yes it is a very unpopular opinion. No I do not understand why FOTLK is as popular as it is. No you cannot convince me otherwise). The only live shows I'd ever rank over Nemo would probably be the now extinct Aladdin from Disneyland, Indiana Jones, and L!M!A!.

RSoxNo1

This would be the last step to making Animal Kingdom a near-perfect park, IMHO. The stunning beauty of Pandora (from what we can discern so far), and the excellent-quality expansions of Harambe, etc., have further solidified Animal Kingdom the most immersive WDW theme park (again, IMHO). But the quality of these additions also makes Dino-Rama stand out like a sore thumb even more than it did before. For example, the contrast between Pandora and Dino-Rama is pretty mind-boggling, if you really stop to think about it.

Dinoland does not create the same motivation to explore that the other Animal Kingdom lands do. The combined Dino-Rama and Theater in the Wild space would be perfect for an attraction that features a continuation of the style of rockwork seen at Dinoland's entrance / Boneyard area. That would give the land a much greater sense of place. Perhaps a D-ticket, e.g., a family-friendly coaster such as a variation on Excavator, would work well.

Agreed. It is a well done show, but a brand new one that fits more in line with the park/land it resides in is required.

I've had a few thoughts on this.

Basically changes to the other parks can be rooted in whatever gets done to Epcot. Future World and Tomorrowland are easy enough to plan / evolve simultaneously. However, what about The Seas Pavilion? There has to be a concern about the large aquarium (Blackfish) long term and I suspect Disney isn't willing to build a new one. If that area is removed from Epcot it opens up a huge area for Future World and the possibility of a better Nemo attraction.

At the Animal Kingdom, I'd love to see Australia added, but that could also go North of Kali/Maharajah Jungle Trek (probably at the cost of one or both of those). The easiest expansion/change to the park would be to level Dinorama and the theater and build something new. If that's Australia, a proper Dinoland expansion, or even a Marine land I'd be all for it.

My blue sky Epcot idea for The Seas would be a Marianas Trench attraction, perhaps again consulting with James Cameron. It would use the 20K system used in DisneySea and perhaps the flashlights could trigger things a la Ride and Go Seek. I'd do this without live animals and part of my revamped and renamed Future World that I'm calling Discovery Expo. With that said, I could also see a similar concept find a home in the Animal Kingdom.

RSoxNo1

I gotta disagree with the above! Finding Nemo - The Musical is legit probably one of the most impressive and creative theme park shows to ever exist! Even at Disney! They legit put in so much effort into creating original musical numbers, impressive puppetry, and many other elements into what originally had nothing to do with a musical at all! The actors are phenomenal, the songs are catchy... It's truly a remarkable show!

They should work on replacing the more outdated ones, particularly Mermaid and Beast over at the Studios. Nemo should be the least of Disney's worries. It was a much needed replacement for Tarzan Rocks... At least, in my opinion. As a child, Tarzan was probably the most boring thing I ever watched. My parents always dragged me to it. So, I guess I'm biased. But I rank Nemo over Festival of the Lion King any day (Yes I went that far. Yes it is a very unpopular opinion. No I do not understand why FOTLK is as popular as it is. No you cannot convince me otherwise). The only live shows I'd ever rank over Nemo would probably be the now extinct Aladdin from Disneyland, Indiana Jones, and L!M!A!.
Here's why I disagree. Nemo and the Toy Story Musicals have great production values, but the songs aren't recognizeable from the movies. I think they are better fits as actual Broadway shows than Broadway style shows in a theme park.

My complaint about Nemo has always been the familiarity of the music. As such, I might watch it every 2-3 years, whereas Lion King I see on probably 80% of my visits to the Animal Kingdom.

Otterhead

gotta disagree with the above! Finding Nemo - The Musical is legit probably one of the most impressive and creative theme park shows to ever exist! Even at Disney! They legit put in so much effort into creating original musical numbers, impressive puppetry, and many other elements into what originally had nothing to do with a musical at all! The actors are phenomenal, the songs are catchy... It's truly a remarkable show!
Very much agreed. When I first saw it, the idea of a Finding Nemo musical seemed silly, but the songs were so good and so memorable that it made me wish that the movie had been a musical in the first place. Their use of "Big Blue World" as the signature song of The Seas as well really shows how much these songs have attached themselves to Nemo.

wdwfan22

Finding Nemo the Musical doesn't need to be replaced. The show is one of the best at Walt Disney World. I don't understand the hate for the show. The sets are great and the show flows perfectly. I also can't understand why so many people think the Festival of the Lion King is so great. That show is well beyond it's prime. Having kids/adults make animal sounds for 10 minutes isn't what i call a show. I guess it works for a theme park but this is one show i would like to see updated with more elements from the Broadway production.

rd805

Finding Nemo the Musical doesn't need to be replaced. The show is one of the best at Walt Disney World. I don't understand the hate for the show. The sets are great and the show flows perfectly. I also can't understand why so many people think the Festival of the Lion King is so great. That show is well beyond it's prime. Having kids/adults make animal sounds for 10 minutes isn't what i call a show. I guess it works for a theme park but this is one show i would like to see updated with more elements from the Broadway production.

The music makes me cringe, I may be the only one -- but the voices are so squeaky, and whiny, and annoying, and.... lol.

disneygeek90

If we’re going to update any musical in the parks, let’s give DHS Little Mermaid some love. Why we are still dealing with the 90’s projection and graphics is beyond me. How hard could it be to at least give it that nice, crisp, HD screen. The show itself, however, I think still works well.

As others have said, I don’t think Nemo needs anything done with it at all. It’s an outstanding show.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom