Some Toy Story Midway Mania details and notes

DisneyAnole

Potato Head has been the focus of some of the fan sites, because he's a first of a kind. Disney are also rightly proud of him.

However, by the very nature of his performance, it would not suit the FASTPASS line. He is there to entertain the standby guests, not for the FASTPASS line to STOP and to interact with him, it wouldnt be a very fast FASTPASS line!

Then why not have standby and FP merge BEFORE they get to Potato Head?

Just like Soarin's FP and standby merge well before the loading point. The same thing could have been done here so that EVERY guest got to at least SEE Potato Head in action even if each guest didn't interact with him.

So one of the chief details of this attractions won't be seen by the thousands of guests who use FP. I'm sorry, but that's evidence of a crummy design.

DallasDis

Just like Soarin's FP and standby merge well before the loading point. The same thing could have been done here so that EVERY guest got to at least SEE Potato Head in action even if each guest didn't interact with him.

So one of the chief details of this attractions won't be seen by the thousands of guests who use FP. I'm sorry, but that's evidence of a crummy design.

Honestly, it's not that big of a deal. It is this way with a lot of attratctions. (Buzz, EE, TT).

The point of a FP line is to get you loaded into the attraction in a quicky, orderly fashion. If I am in a FP line the point is that I get on the ride as fast as possible. True they could have merged the lines, but the concept behing Potato Head is that he s a time killer. If I am in a FP line then I dont want to have to be killing time. I want to get on the ride.

If you want to see Potato, go through FP.

EpcotServo

You can SEE him from one or two points in the Fastpass queue. You just don't get a close up view of him. You just see him from afar.

Again, you don't like it...guess what? YOU'RE IN THE STANDBY LINE LIKE WDI WANTS YOU TO BE.
:lol:

DisneyAnole

Honestly, it's not that big of a deal. It is this way with a lot of attratctions. (Buzz, EE, TT).

The point of a FP line is to get you loaded into the attraction in a quicky, orderly fashion. If I am in a FP line the point is that I get on the ride as fast as possible. True they could have merged the lines, but the concept behing Potato Head is that he s a time killer. If I am in a FP line then I dont want to have to be killing time. I want to get on the ride.

If you want to see Potato, go through FP.

I guess FP bypasses the Buzz AA (I've never used FP there, so I don't know). But I don't see how the issue I'm discussing relates to the queues of EE and TT.

But I s'pose you're right. The Potato Head serves no real purpose to the attraction, he's just eye candy. So it shouldn't matter that guests bypass him. I can't imagine that he adds anything to the experience anyway.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
But I s'pose you're right. The Potato Head serves no real purpose to the attraction, he's just eye candy. So it shouldn't matter that guests bypass him. I can't imagine that he adds anything to the experience anyway.

Not just eye candy. He provides some background to the story and entertains the queue.
In a time when AAs are often being passed over, I'm very glad we have another top notch AA in an attraction.

GrimGrinninAnna

Sorry- could someone clarify?

One a few TouTube videos it looks as though Mr Potato Head is outside of the attraction but from the description here, it sounds as though he is mid-que ie: Buzz in Space Ranger Spin.

Captain Hank

One a few TouTube videos it looks as though Mr Potato Head is outside of the attraction but from the description here, it sounds as though he is mid-que ie: Buzz in Space Ranger Spin.
Nice avatar. :)

There are two versions of Toy Story Midway Mania being constructed simultaneously. One at Disney's Hollywood Studios in Walt Disney World and one at Disney's California Adventure in Disneyland. At Disneyland, Mr. Potato Head is outside, under an overhang. At WDW, he's inside, partway through the queue.

DCA = Outside with coverage overhead.

DHS = Halfway through the normal queue.

Here is my single spoiler pic. Sorry about it being so dark. This is the Fastpass/Single Rider side.

img0037ll6.jpg

GrimGrinninAnna

Nice avatar. :)

There are two versions of Toy Story Midway Mania being constructed simultaneously. One at Disney's Hollywood Studios in Walt Disney World and one at Disney's California Adventure in Disneyland. At Disneyland, Mr. Potato Head is outside, under an overhang. At WDW, he's inside, partway through the queue.

Ah- that's what I was thinking. I'll be at DL in late June and WDW in Sept so fingers crossed I'll be able to cross reference!

Thanks, InsideOtherPark
And thanks, Capt Hank, for being my constant ;)

DisneyAnole

Not just eye candy. He provides some background to the story and entertains the queue.
In a time when AAs are often being passed over, I'm very glad we have another top notch AA in an attraction.

If he's central to the experience then why is he not integrated into the FP experience as well? That's what I'm failing to understand.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
If he's central to the experience then why is he not integrated into the FP experience as well? That's what I'm failing to understand.
Perhaps because DWI doesn't want people slowing down in the FP line to admire an AA? WDI designs stand by queues to be part of the over-all experience, FP queues are designed with the expectation that you're already familiar with the ride and are willing to sacrifice some of that experience for expediency. Every FP ride they recommend you experience the stand by queue at least once.

As an example, Everest has awesome detailing in the stand by queue and minimalist detailing in the FP line. The object is to keep guests entertained in what is expected to be the slow-moving queue and moving in the fast-moving queue.

Skyway

Two quick points about FP.

I think DL appears to be minimizing FastPass because, originally, they had WAY too many FP attractions at each park. And unlike WDW, the West Coast parks are physically much much smaller, so the streets were much more crowded with FP holders who weren't waiting in lines.

Conversely, DHS does not have enough APPROPRIATE FP attractions (many of the shows do, but few people waste a FP on them) At DHS, the only worthy FP attractions are RnRC, TToZ, and Star Tours. With really only 3 choices, those FP's could "sell-out" quickly. By adding FP to TSM, they actually improve the FP system because its harder for those "in the know" to hog up all the FP slots (and theoretically, it should delay "sell-outs" to later in the day)

I don't want to turn this into a FP discussion, but I'm fine with the fact that FP misses the interesting parts of the TSM queue.

I look at it this way--- if you're gonna be stuck in a slow-moving Standby line--- the evil byproduct of FP--- then at least you have something interesting to look at. It's rides like RnRc where Standby riders are double-punished with a slow line AND a dull switchback queue (at least they recently rennovated that attraction so more of the Standby line is housed in the detailed (and air-conditioned!) queue building.)

Jerriko

i always go through the full queue at least once to get the full effect of the ride from start to finish...then I use fastpass as much as possible...This is what they assume most people would do....

Chris

dreamfinder

My understanding is that the same statement applies to the Everest queue also. Despite not having an amazing AA figure in the standby line, all the bits and pieces about the Yeti existing, the search for him, etc, is supposed to lend background to why you are hopping on a tea train and going into the mountain. Whether this is true or something some Imagineer made up to get on a Travel Channel special is beyond me.

djkidkaz

Perhaps because DWI doesn't want people slowing down in the FP line to admire an AA? WDI designs stand by queues to be part of the over-all experience, FP queues are designed with the expectation that you're already familiar with the ride and are willing to sacrifice some of that experience for expediency. Every FP ride they recommend you experience the stand by queue at least once.

As an example, Everest has awesome detailing in the stand by queue and minimalist detailing in the FP line. The object is to keep guests entertained in what is expected to be the slow-moving queue and moving in the fast-moving queue.

Thank you for using common sense. Its plain as day and if he still "doesn't get it" then he's just spreading flame bait. DisneyAnole just complains about everything anyways.

DisneyAnole

My understanding is that the same statement applies to the Everest queue also. Despite not having an amazing AA figure in the standby line, all the bits and pieces about the Yeti existing, the search for him, etc, is supposed to lend background to why you are hopping on a tea train and going into the mountain. Whether this is true or something some Imagineer made up to get on a Travel Channel special is beyond me.

The Everest FP line is just as detailed, only shorter.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom