Soarin' over the Horizon

Travel Junkie

Don't understand exclusivity in this aspect...a very very very small proportion of people who go to the US parks would go to Shanghai Disney so I don't understand the point in limiting the audience for an attraction.

If SDL (of which is not wholly owned by Disney) paid for the R&D they wouldn’t appreciate it if what they paid for opened at same time or even earlier somewhere else than their resort. The exclusivity is to not tick off the party that paid for it.

lazyboy97o

Don't understand exclusivity in this aspect...a very very very small proportion of people who go to the US parks would go to Shanghai Disney so I don't understand the point in limiting the audience for an attraction.

Agreed. Actually I don't get exclusivity when the thing being excluded is still owned by the thing doing the excluding!
Disney is not the sole owner of Shanghai Disneyland. Shanghai Shendi Group paid for the film and wants it first. Something similar happened with Transformers: The Ride - 3D. It was designed for Universal Studios Hollywood but funding wasn't all there. Sentosa Resorts World agreed to fund the ride but it had to open first at the park they own, Universal Studios Singapore.

bakntime

I disagree, because it borrowed HEAVILY from the E.T. soundtrack IMO
Yeah, seriously, that's like when they can't use the original music on a TV show and they use "sound-alike" music.
I love the stuff that Bruce Broughton did for Epcot (the current Energy and HISTA/Imagination Institute music). Giacchino would also be great. He's so versatile. He has a signature "style" but he's also capable of doing almost anything. The music in UP, The Incredibles ... Ratatouille has an amazing soundtrack with great range. The Star Trek reboot theme was fantastic (very Goldsmith-esque). I have no doubt he'd find the right feel.

bakntime

Maybe the seats will be like the Pony Express coaster at Knotts Berry Farm.

https://flic.kr/p/6WeQyq

There are other versions of similar coaster vehicles (motorcycles) that hold you in there quite securely. (I think this motorcycle one is actually a Vekoma: https://flic.kr/p/2WNKab)

Not sure how long you could sit in that position before getting uncomfortable, though.

It's also possible they could go with a suspended coaster-style seat with over-the-shoulder restraints, but instead of being attached to a track overhead, it's attached to the motion base behind the seats. This way, you could "dangle" from the suspended seat with a little more of a free feeling than you have on Soarin.

Last edited:

Haymarket2008

They could absolutely use the existing melodies and just re orchestrate it to fit whatever locale is shown. At least, that is what I am hoping for. The song is a officially a classic now.

DisneyCane

The film was mostly completed long ago, but it takes a while to do all the CGI and editing - although most people don't realise it there's a lot of computer generated stuff in the original film, so I imagine the new one will be the same.

What is CGI in the existing film besides the hang glider, golf ball and Tinkerbell/fireworks ending? All of that is maybe 30 seconds?

Cosmic Commando

Looks like the Mall of America will be getting a better Soarin before Epcot does...

http://www.twincities.com/business/ci_27926674/mall-america-build-flyover-america-movie-ride
The promo picture that they used for "Fly Over America" shows Canada, but whatevs... :hilarious:

20150416__1-FlyoverAmerica_MOA_MallofAmerica.jpg

The Empress Lilly

One of the scenes can fly over a picture of the half destroyed carcass of the old Horizons building. I'm sure with today's realistic CGI they could do it. Maybe even blow in the scent of crushed concrete mixed with a hint of orange scent and broken dreams.

(Ok, the last one was a little over dramatic, I know)
No! That last sentence is the greatest ever written here! =D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom