Soarin' over the Horizon

bakntime

Fly Over Canada had a good deal of industry press behind its opening. If Disney thought they had a case they would have already made a move.
That's the thing. It's probably borderline derivative, but derivative doesn't necessary equal infringement, which means it's a gray area and who knows. It wouldn't be worth it for Disney to pursue something like that, because it's different enough.

I'm just saying that's it's not cool, because to me, they were clearly intending to conjure Disney vibes with similar artwork and icons. It's not an accident that the logo reminds some people of Soarin.

And for the record, this has nothing to do with me defending Disney, as they clearly don't need to worry about it. There's no harm to Disney being done here, which is the ultimate thing that litigators and judges will look at. It's just something I always find it cheese-ball when people purposely try to evoke another company's product.

lazyboy97o

That's the thing. It's probably borderline derivative, but derivative doesn't necessary equal infringement, which means it's a gray area and who knows. It wouldn't be worth it for Disney to pursue something like that, because it's different enough.

I'm just saying that's it's not cool, because to me, they were clearly intending to conjure Disney vibes with similar artwork and icons. It's not an accident that the logo reminds some people of Soarin.

And for the record, this has nothing to do with me defending Disney, as they clearly don't need to worry about it. There's no harm to Disney being done here, which is the ultimate thing that litigators and judges will look at. It's just something I always find it cheese-ball when people purposely try to evoke another company's product.
They even hired the same creative. Rick Rothschild was show producer for Fly Over Canada and is also working on Fly Over America.

DisneyGentleman

Not sure if the thread police will shoot me for not being sufficiently on-topic, but rode the digital projection version of Soarin' in California last week and it was truly stunning. The movie seemed fresh and new, and I honestly saw no reason to update it - it was that good. In the movie version, I felt it had worn out its welcome. But the crisp sharpness of the new version was genuinely impressive. Just wait until it hits Florida!

matt9112

Not sure if the thread police will shoot me for not being sufficiently on-topic, but rode the digital projection version of Soarin' in California last week and it was truly stunning. The movie seemed fresh and new, and I honestly saw no reason to update it - it was that good. In the movie version, I felt it had worn out its welcome. But the crisp sharpness of the new version was genuinely impressive. Just wait until it hits Florida!

so tired of Florida having the short end of the stick.

Jon81uk

Yes but why not now hu hu hu?

As they may need to close the existing theatres to connect the new one, so makes sense to do it all at once when the new theatre is ready.

Or if they don't need to close them to connect they can open the new theatre with digital and then close the old theatres for upgrades one at a time so the attraction can keep operating through the upgrade.

matt9112

As they may need to close the existing theatres to connect the new one, so makes sense to do it all at once when the new theatre is ready.

Or if they don't need to close them to connect they can open the new theatre with digital and then close the old theatres for upgrades one at a time so the attraction can keep operating through the upgrade.

I would rather they learn how to build from universal than just close it l and do it all at once in a timely manner. A cookie cutter copy like this
.....I still remember how fast transformers was built....amazingly.

Last edited:

Jon81uk

I would rather they learn how to build from universal than just close it l and do it all at once in a timely manner. A cookie cutter copy like this
.....I still remember how fast transformers was built....anazing.

I don't know of any attractions where Universal have added capacity in this manner so it can't be compared. At California Adventure Disney closed Soarin' for around six months for a full upgrade and retheme of the exterior, that seems about right amount of time.
But they don't need to close the whole attraction. They can open the new theatre with digital, close one theatre for two months for upgrade, then close the other theatre for two months, then have all three theatres open and digital.

matt9112

I don't know of any attractions where Universal have added capacity in this manner so it can't be compared. At California Adventure Disney closed Soarin' for around six months for a full upgrade and retheme of the exterior, that seems about right amount of time.
But they don't need to close the whole attraction. They can open the new theatre with digital, close one theatre for two months for upgrade, then close the other theatre for two months, then have all three theatres open and digital.

Construction is construction. At the end of the day a new theater needs to be built. And disney is very slooooow.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom