So, You Want to be an Imagineer: An Imagineering Competition (Season 13: Get a Clue)

FigmentPigments

I hope this is okay to say.

I'm still new to this, and after I had to leave early, I tried to watch to get experience because I'd like to compete in future competitions. Are most competitions on here like this though? With due respect to the winner, it doesn't seem like the best imagineer won in the end. For the next competition I do, I am trying to gain skills in computer graphics for projects, but I don't want to be voted out for trying my hardest. And I fear based on this, the more you try, the more likely you are to be eliminated because nobody wants to face you in the end. It's almost like you're better off hanging back and voting others off to advance yourself. Maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way, I'm just worried that these competitions aren't for me.
Hi Poe. As someone that is still very new to these competitions, I thought I would give my 2 cents. Please do not compare all competitions in the same light. While I have only experienced one full comp, there are many varieties on the forum.

Strategy - So You Want to be an Imagineer is this type. The object is not just creating something, but making alliances and breaking them like on reality shows.

Team Points - the House Cup was a great example of this. Points are earned by teams, no one is eliminated, but the most points wins

Individual Points - A Twist In Time is the prime example. People work individually to earn points but so far no one gets kicked off. Most points win

Just for Fun - the One Sentence comp is like this. You put your ideas out there, and you can be ranked, but nothing is really on the line.

There are many more out there with many variances. You just need to find the one for you. I have not even begun to see them all, but maybe a more experienced forum member can elaborate. So don't worry. As I am finding out, there are many different competitions out there to enjoy.

MANEATINGWREATH

I'm still new to this, and after I had to leave early, I tried to watch to get experience because I'd like to compete in future competitions. Are most competitions on here like this though? With due respect to the winner, it doesn't seem like the best imagineer won in the end. For the next competition I do, I am trying to gain skills in computer graphics for projects, but I don't want to be voted out for trying my hardest. And I fear based on this, the more you try, the more likely you are to be eliminated because nobody wants to face you in the end. It's almost like you're better off hanging back and voting others off to advance yourself. Maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way, I'm just worried that these competitions aren't for me.

I can't speak for other competitions on WDWMagic as I've only recently began "playing" in this community. I will tell you this as the Co-Host of Season 14 which premieres in January of next year. Strategy and everything is fine and dandy, but we are more so focusing on the Imagineering aspect next season. The "fun aspect" if you will. We won't be handing out secret powers, secret weapons, none of that. No Museum of the Weird, no Outcast Island, no bloodthirsty fights. It is going to be good old-fashioned SYWTBAI as it appeared in its heyday on Visions Fantastic. We're bringing back the most creative projects of the past twelve seasons, simply because they allow so much free reign with your creative self.

I know that you have great potential, and I'd love to see you come back and tackle some truly inspiring prompts. Nonetheless, I wish you all the best in your armchair Imagineering career.

spacemt354

Chili's

I will echo @FigmentPigments

I feel kinda responsible, because I know I had a hand in convincing you to join - because I heard such great things about you in the House Cup! I thought that this wasn't going to get so strategic, as it wasn't advertised that way in June.

I told you about the S.E.A. theme and teams, but the killers and the emphasis on strategy was really something that was added in during the competition.

And no all competitions aren't like this one. Don't let this one get you down or anything on competitions as a whole. And Figment just gave a pretty great list of them. When you're ready I hope to see you in another one, and each competition usually lays out the ground-rules in advance, so you'll know ahead of time if its for you:)

Poe Dameron

Hi Poe. As someone that is still very new to these competitions, I thought I would give my 2 cents. Please do not compare all competitions in the same light. While I have only experienced one full comp, there are many varieties on the forum.

Strategy - So You Want to be an Imagineer is this type. The object is not just creating something, but making alliances and breaking them like on reality shows.

Team Points - the House Cup was a great example of this. Points are earned by teams, no one is eliminated, but the most points wins

Individual Points - A Twist In Time is the prime example. People work individually to earn points but so far no one gets kicked off. Most points win

Just for Fun - the One Sentence comp is like this. You put your ideas out there, and you can be ranked, but nothing is really on the line.

There are many more out there with many variances. You just need to find the one for you. I have not even begun to see them all, but maybe a more experienced forum member can elaborate. So don't worry. As I am finding out, there are many different competitions out there to enjoy.
I can't speak for other competitions on WDWMagic as I've only recently began "playing" in this community. I will tell you this as the Co-Host of Season 14 which premieres in January of next year. Strategy and everything is fine and dandy, but we are more so focusing on the Imagineering aspect next season. The "fun aspect" if you will. We won't be handing out secret powers, secret weapons, none of that. No Museum of the Weird, no Outcast Island, no bloodthirsty fights. It is going to be good old-fashioned SYWTBAI as it appeared in its heyday on Visions Fantastic. We're bringing back the most creative projects of the past twelve seasons, simply because they allow so much free reign with your creative self.

I know that you have great potential, and I'd love to see you come back and tackle some truly inspiring prompts. Nonetheless, I wish you all the best in your armchair Imagineering career.
I will echo @FigmentPigments

I feel kinda responsible, because I know I had a hand in convincing you to join - because I heard such great things about you in the House Cup! I thought that this wasn't going to get so strategic, as it wasn't advertised that way in June.

I told you about the S.E.A. theme and teams, but the killers and the emphasis on strategy was really something that was added in during the competition.

And no all competitions aren't like this one. Don't let this one get you down or anything on competitions as a whole. And Figment just gave a pretty great list of them. When you're ready I hope to see you in another one, and each competition usually lays out the ground-rules in advance, so you'll know ahead of time if its for you:)
Thank you everyone for the kind words. I was taken aback at some of the things that happened in this competition. I guess it's that I would feel guilty eliminating people when I know they care about the game and have contributed more than me. It doesn't seem fair to me and I would feel bad advancing.

Spacemt it's okay, it's a good learning experience for me to watch. And thank you Figment for categorizing the competitions, that helps put it in perspective. MANEATINGWREATH thanks for the support as well. Hopefully in the future I will be able to compete with you all again.

MonorailRed

Applebees
tumblr_m1dev5PnKo1rqfhi2o1_500.gif

Sidenote.... I was contacted as a backup juror and after reading everything, I voted for @DSquared ....:bookworm: Really interesting finale...:bored:

Really thought @DSquared had this one in the bag o_O

MonorailRed

Applebees

Don't worry Poe! :) All competitions are different! Some are more strategy based, others focus more on content :D It's a preference thing depending on users :cool:

Glad you're in WDW 1966 though! :D You should totally use some of your computer graphics skills in it! It's a great place to work on learning new skills and completing projects! :bookworm:

Poe Dameron

Don't worry Poe! :) All competitions are different! Some are more strategy based, others focus more on content :D It's a preference thing depending on users :cool:

Glad you're in WDW 1966 though! :D You should totally use some of your computer graphics skills in it! It's a great place to work on learning new skills and completing projects! :bookworm:
Thank you Red. I will do my best:)

RMichael21

Sidenote.... I was contacted as a backup juror and after reading everything, I voted for @DSquared ....:bookworm: Really interesting finale...:bored:

Trust me, so did I. o_O I really appreciate everyone who voted for me though :). Thanks for a great summer everyone, I had a blast and I look forward to working with you all again! :D

spacemt354

Chili's

I gotta agree:bookworm:...from an imagineering standpoint, I think DSquared did a little better in the last two individual challenges. And combined with other reasons I gave earlier, thought the winner was pretty cut and dry. :bored: But that's the beauty of subjectivity:angelic:

I'm assuming you were the backup juror for @SandyClaws ? Because it says he hasn't been on the forum since Sept. 2nd:p

MonorailRed

Applebees

spacemt354

Chili's
Oh, that's awkward:p

Trust me, so did I. o_O I really appreciate everyone who voted for me though :). Thanks for a great summer everyone, I had a blast and I look forward to working with you all again! :D

Also it may have gotten lost in the shuffle but congrats to @RMichael21 for the win!

@DSquared congrats to you as well. You'll be the winner in my mind if that makes you feel better:joyfull::p

And all thanks to all the great teammates I had as well - enjoyed brainstorming with you all throughout the season!:)

spacemt354

Chili's
Oh snap I just realized...o_O

Remember this in Project 2 when the killers were put in play? There was a swap right afterwards, with people (aka me) wondering if there was still one killer per team as originally stated.
Right, what I'm saying is there is still one killer per team, correct? Because you said after round 2 we are supposed to internally vote for the team's killer so if there is one team without a killer that doesn't make much sense to me. :p
At that point, Team Mystic was Basketbuddy, MonorailRed, Poe Dameron, KingofEpicocity, and myself.

If the 3 killers were MEW, RMichael, and mickeyfan during the game -- that means Mystic was voting for a killer on their team even though we didn't have one!...just like I was suspicious of!:eek::p
tumblr_m561fp7LhC1qdq5u6.gif

Well played.

The Excavator

I was new as well, coming over from the House Cup, so I can relate. Thought the murder mystery was okay, but it distracted from our project and while I was killed off and resigned, it might have been for the better because I jumped into something I wasn't expecting.

Admittedly I didn't follow the competition after, but I found a niche in the One Sentence competition, which was more my speed. Everyone is different so that may be an alternative. Best of luck to you and congratulations to all the competitors.

spacemt354

Chili's
I was new as well, coming over from the House Cup, so I can relate. Thought the murder mystery was okay, but it distracted from our project and while I was killed off and resigned, it might have been for the better because I jumped into something I wasn't expecting.

Admittedly I didn't follow the competition after, but I found a niche in the One Sentence competition, which was more my speed. Everyone is different so that may be an alternative. Best of luck to you and congratulations to all the competitors.
You're right! I always believe that everything happens for a reason.:)

Maybe I can sum this up, (actually @RMichael21 just did) - one competition doesn't identify everything. If you enjoy imagineering, there will be something on this forum for you. :geek:

I have a specific interests as well, as much as Tiki and MEW say that there will be less emphasis on strategy in Season 14, there still will be built in strategic dynamics post-merge...such as PoMVP, voting, and such, that's a given. And my concern is, if I'm on a team, or someone even better than me like Figment or Red, and the rest of the cast has an opportunity to vote out the good players to advance themselves, they will take that opportunity.

It is the built-in game dynamics, the killer twist this year was just an add-on to make it easier. And that's totally fine to do - some people love that, but for me personally, I'm interested in playing games that have absolute zero strategy from now on, so there can be no asterisks next to anything, and if I am fortunate enough to go far, I did it on my own merits.

And that's one of the reasons why I'm going pass on Season 14. I'm glad that Tiki and MEW took the initiative to move it up to January though. I told them about that opening, since Red and myself are just going to be too busy this winter to host another competition sadly, the whole winter was open as of now. That's another, even more important reason why I can't play - this time unlike my 5 day retirement...I am serious:hilarious:

Basically, my point is - you do you. Do what you want - and hope to see you around!:bookworm:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom