So, You Want to be an Imagineer: An Imagineering Competition (Season 13: Get a Clue)

spacemt354

Chili's
I don't have any questions - but I would like to say who I am voting for and why. I took a decent amount of time and research to come up with this decision (hence the longish post), because I think the decision deserves it.

The only time I was with the two finalists on a team was post-merge, and I ran some numbers on the participation via responses to the Team Chandler Brainstorming PMs from Projects 7-9 (after which, I was voted off). Out of the total 1093 team brainstorming responses over those 3 challenges, RMichael21 and DSquared combined for 91 of them, (45 from RM, 46 from DS) which is a combined 8.33% of the total Team Chandler brainstorming responses. Ehh, not greato_O...but also, both of them are essentially identical in responses/active brainstorming. I can't make the distinction based on that.

So, we have to dig deeper....into the Strategy.

In my mind, you're both two peas in a pod. :rolleyes: RM took it to levels that I personally believe shouldn't have been allowed - such as using the host's name in a post....but DSquared is an accomplice to all of this, which is equally as bad. :p

So -- still even in my opinion...We keep digging deeper....

A key distinction for me comes during Project 9 (The Mazes). Both RMichael21 and DSquared were Co-Team Leaders.

As Team Leader, the spotlight is on you to guide the team and contribute. RM was assigned the Tower of Terror maze, and couldn't complete it - only had a small outline, which @FigmentPigments unselfishly took on as an extra work load and wrote it up for him. DSquared had the most research heavy project (one based on Studio Ghibli), completed his work on time (it was pretty good too), and submitted our team post Project 9 as Team Leader.

*Furthermore, while I wasn't on the team, I could see his writing on the wall for the Gravity Falls project - from an outsider's view it looked like it was mostly him doing the whole project and then Basketbuddy's art.

And then we have the ever important individual projects

I'll just say that, as a huge Breaking Bad fan - I thought DSquared's was by far the best Breaking Bad project. While I could nitpick till kingdom come, I thought that the solid characterization shows a commitment to research (another example of it) and creativity. BlueDragonFive even hinted at some lines that were better than my project (and you know what....I agree!)

RM's BB project was also good despite never watching the show, and possibly better organized than DS's project, however Walter White was wayyy out of character in his dialogue, among other jarring discrepancies I noticed between the show and the project, and it just felt as if more research could have been put into it.

And for the Twilight Zone, again, RM's has better organization and clarity, but to me DSquared's was more elaborately thought out in comparison. That's a really brief explanation, and not a review of which was better, but more a testament of...in my view DSquared took more initiative when it came to researching for these projects, one of the main components that makes this game unique.

In summary, I feel the purpose of SYWTBAI is to crown a winner who has demonstrated a creative record through the projects and by doing their research in-depth. After going back and doing my own research, reviewing the projects and brainstorming, and trying to make the best decision I can, my vote for the winner is...

Good Luck and congratulations to both finalists of Season 13!:)

Last edited:

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
I'll be setting up final voting booths for the jurors later tonight. By all means feel free to make statements and ask questions, but let's let Space's vote be the only one that's public just to keep a bit of suspense!

Love the passion though, Space. ;)

spacemt354

Chili's
I'll be setting up final voting booths for the jurors later tonight. By all means feel free to make statements and ask questions, but let's let Space's vote be the only one that's public just to keep a bit of suspense!

Love the passion though, Space. ;)
Well technically it's in a spoiler, so you don't have to look:rolleyes::p

Also - I could delete it, if you want it private. There were no instructions so I just wanted to give a reason for the vote, as I think the finalists deserve to know why:bookworm:

RMichael21

I don't have any questions - but I would like to say who I am voting for and why. I took a decent amount of time and research to come up with this decision (hence the longish post), because I think the decision deserves it.

The only time I was with the two finalists on a team was post-merge, and I ran some numbers on the participation via responses to the Team Chandler Brainstorming PMs from Projects 7-9 (after which, I was voted off). Out of the total 1093 team brainstorming responses over those 3 challenges, RMichael21 and DSquared combined for 91 of them, (45 from RM, 46 from DS) which is a combined 8.33% of the total Team Chandler brainstorming responses. Ehh, not greato_O...but also, both of them are essentially identical in responses/active brainstorming. I can't make the distinction based on that.

So, we have to dig deeper....into the Strategy.

In my mind, you're both two peas in a pod. :rolleyes: RM took it to levels that I personally believe shouldn't have been allowed - such as using the host's name in a post....but DSquared is an accomplice to all of this, which is equally as bad. :p

So -- still even in my opinion...We keep digging deeper....

A key distinction for me comes during Project 9 (The Mazes). Both RMichael21 and DSquared were Co-Team Leaders.

As Team Leader, the spotlight is on you to guide the team and contribute. RM was assigned the Tower of Terror maze, and couldn't complete it - only had a small outline, which @FigmentPigments unselfishly took on as an extra work load and wrote it up for him. DSquared had the most research heavy project (one based on Studio Ghibli), completed his work on time (it was pretty good too), and submitted our team post Project 9 as Team Leader.

*Furthermore, while I wasn't on the team, I could see his writing on the wall for the Gravity Falls project - from an outsider's view it looked like it was mostly him doing the whole project and then Basketbuddy's art.

And then we have the ever important individual projects

I'll just say that, as a huge Breaking Bad fan - I thought DSquared's was by far the best Breaking Bad project. While I could nitpick till kingdom come, I thought that the solid characterization shows a commitment to research (another example of it) and creativity. BlueDragonFive even hinted at some lines that were better than my project (and you know what....I agree!)

RM's BB project was also good despite never watching the show, and possibly better organized than DS's project, however Walter White was wayyy out of character in his dialogue, among other jarring discrepancies I noticed between the show and the project, and it just felt as if more research could have been put into it.

And for the Twilight Zone, again, RM's has better organization and clarity, but to me DSquared's was more elaborately thought out in comparison. That's a really brief explanation, and not a review of which was better, but more a testament of...in my view DSquared took more initiative when it came to researching for these projects, one of the main components that makes this game unique.

In summary, I feel the purpose of SYWTBAI is to crown a winner who has demonstrated a creative record through the projects and by doing their research in-depth. After going back and doing my own research, reviewing the projects and brainstorming, and trying to make the best decision I can, my vote for the winner is...

Good Luck and congratulations to both finalists of Season 13!:)
Let me just say I fully respect your decision. :) I'd love to win, but @DSquared is a worthy winner.

FigmentPigments

This is for both of the finalists:

As this was a specialized IP more research was needed on this project than those focused on Disney alone. Please describe the research you did for this current project. Did you watch any of the Twilight Zone episodes? Was Wikipedia your main research source? What inspirations did you draw from? How much time do you think went in to research?

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster

As this was a specialized IP more research was needed on this project than those focused on Disney alone. Please describe the research you did for this current project. Did you watch any of the Twilight Zone episodes? Was Wikipedia your main research source? What inspirations did you draw from? How much time do you think went in to research?

Tagging @RMichael21 and @DSquared to make sure they see this. :)

RMichael21

I'll answer this in a few hours, I won't be home until tonight. :)

DSquared

For the questions, I'm gonna give a short answer then expand in a video later on.

For Figment's question, l
Well don't forget, I also knew the challenges beforehand

RMichael21

For the questions, I'm gonna give a short answer then expand in a video later on.

For Figment's question, l

Well don't forget, I also knew the challenges beforehand
Yeah, that's a very good point that I forgot about to be honest. DSquared had the advantage of knowing the challenges weeks (even months I think in advance) and could have planned out his concepts ahead of time. I was starting from scratch when the challenge was laid out. Which leads me to @FigmentPigments 's question. :)

Now, I've been extremely busy with school lately, so I'll be the first to admit that I didn't do nearly as much research as I would have liked. With the Breaking Bad project, Tiki had been hinting about that one for a while, so I was able to research accordingly ahead of time. But, with the Twilight Zone, while we did know it the challenge topic in the middle of the BB project, I was so focused with the semi-finals I didn't have a chance to research this IP. So, I spent maybe a total of an hour or two of the first few days of the project looking at wikipedia and such looking a basic premise for the show. I hope that answers your question. :p;)

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
The votes are in and we have a winner...I'll put all the votes in spoiler tags.

Vote One

Vote Two

Vote Three

Vote Four

Vote Five

Vote Six

The winner of "So, You Want to be an Imagineer Season 13: Get a Clue" is...

Big congrats to the winner for achieving victory after this very close vote, probably the closest vote we've had in all the times we've had a jury decide the winner. Well done to both the finalists, and a big thanks to everyone who competed this season to make Season 13 truly memorable and a great turn to form after slogging through the last couple VF seasons.

And now, my announcement for Season 14...It's coming, way sooner than you think! That's right...After "A Twist In Time" we'll be diving right into the next iteration of "So, You Want to be an Imagineer" in January of 2017.

The title for the season is "Greatest Hits", and the theme/tagline is "A Different Kind of All-Star Season!" This is definitely going to be an All Star season, but not in the way most people think of the term "All Stars". Instead of pulling great players from the past, what @MANEATINGWREATH and I decided to do was go back to the well to pick out the single most iconic projects from each of the game's first original 12 seasons.

There will be one project to represent each of the VF seasons, where players will be tasked with redesigning some of the most iconic classics in So, You Want to be an Imagineer history. Just a few things you can expect are...

-Designing a Toon Town with free reign on different IPs (season eight)
-Design a World Showcase E-Ticket based on cultural mythology (season one)
-Pitch an alternate history version of DCA 2.0 which doesn't include stuff like Cars Land or Buena Vista Street (season six)
-Pitch an E Ticket based on "Lord of the Rings" (season five)

This is just a sample of the 12 exciting projects on the roster which will be a tour of all the greatest creative moments of the game's past, brought back for a new generation of players to have their own spin on the concepts. I truly can't wait. There will be MUCH less emphasis on strategy and way more of an emphasis on pure creativity. Definitely want to go back to our roots with this one and not have any major game-changing gimmicks like the killer twist from this iteration.

So join us...Shall you? As we take you through some the game's...

Greatest Hits
Coming January 2017

FigmentPigments

Poe Dameron

I hope this is okay to say.

I'm still new to this, and after I had to leave early, I tried to watch to get experience because I'd like to compete in future competitions. Are most competitions on here like this though? With due respect to the winner, it doesn't seem like the best imagineer won in the end. For the next competition I do, I am trying to gain skills in computer graphics for projects, but I don't want to be voted out for trying my hardest. And I fear based on this, the more you try, the more likely you are to be eliminated because nobody wants to face you in the end. It's almost like you're better off hanging back and voting others off to advance yourself. Maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way, I'm just worried that these competitions aren't for me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom