So is the Hyperion Wharf project dead?

71jason

It's being redesigned to be less of a mall, more of a Disney shopping experience. Less "Seed and Mulch."

I was never enamored of the plans for HW, but I don't see how anyone could look at the concept art and dismiss it, solely on appearance, as a typical mall. (Content-wise may have been a different story.)

Does "Disney shopping experience" mean more Disney-owned stores? Because they seem to be getting out of that business in the Marketplace.

wizards8507

I just wish Disney (in general) would keep things closer to the vest rather than releasing concept art and making bold predictions about things that won't be coming for years. We saw the same thing with FLE. If Hyperion Wharf (or Pixie Hollow, or anything else) is a possibility or in the mix, then why not wait to make the announcement and proclaim that it's coming until decisions are actually finalized.

jt04

JT, you do know what redesigned means right? It means that artwork we saw is not what we are getting.

See this is already an example of spinning. Steve said HW was still in the mix but it is being rethought and/or plussed and probably improved just as always happens with these type projects. Raven says that there are more plans beyond what will be done on the former PI areas. See how the d&g works though? People quickly moved from HW being improved to the idea it was being scrapped when nobody said anything of the sort.

OK, I'm done with this subject until more is announced because some people have to believe what they want to believe. And for them facts are irrelevent. I don't deal in "subjective truth" because it is pointless. And I have better things to do with my time. :wave:

lazyboy97o

To be honest with everyone the "seed and mulch" rumors were totally born out of some drawings required by the state. The artwork clearly shows those areas being built on.
I would love for you to cite the Florida law that allows for submitted documents to be totally different from what is actually going to be built.

I was never enamored of the plans for HW, but I don't see how anyone could look at the concept art and dismiss it, solely on appearance, as a typical mall. (Content-wise may have been a different story.)
Maybe not the average mall, but most life style centers have very similar offerings.

I just wish Disney (in general) would keep things closer to the vest rather than releasing concept art and making bold predictions about things that won't be coming for years. We saw the same thing with FLE. If Hyperion Wharf (or Pixie Hollow, or anything else) is a possibility or in the mix, then why not wait to make the announcement and proclaim that it's coming until decisions are actually finalized.
Hyperion Wharf was sort of forced as the place has been empty for far too long.

SeaCastle

To be honest with everyone the "seed and mulch" rumors were totally born out of some drawings required by the state. The artwork clearly shows those areas being built on.

I am just relieved someone had the sense to squash all the doom and gloomery going on which was so obviously being manufactured by the usual suspects.

Now I can take a break and go back into Armchair Imagineer mode for awhile.

I plan to design a nextgen queue so that all the people lining up to apologize to me will at least have something to do.

This news has me in such a good mood! :king:

You honestly trust outdated, conceptual artwork over state-approved technical drawings? Did you even see the blueprints? The ones that had "seed and mulch" clearly labelled on them? The ones that are publicly available for view? :confused:

I'm still unsure of what you want us to apologize for you for, unless you just want your ego stroked. :shrug:

tirian

Does "Disney shopping experience" mean more Disney-owned stores? Because they seem to be getting out of that business in the Marketplace.

Architecture, sightlines, atmosphere. More than just blinking lights.

flavious27

I wish they would have left PI alone. It was perfect before. It had adult entertainment. It gave us big kids a second reason to visit besides just the parks. But if the clubs are gone for good, and I am guessing they are, then what else can really go there besides shopping and dinning? If Disney really is sticking to their desire to keep guests on property, the one thing it's lacking is a shopping experience. I know that I have had the desire to get an additional outfit once I was on property...the ideal world would give us Flamingo Crossing and a restored Pleaser Island. But sadly, the world isn't perfect. If the clubs are gone (besides Comedy Club) that will totally leave out Adult Entertainment. There will be a void that will need to be filled. Otherwise guests will leave property and giver other establishments their money. Bottom line...TDO has made a mess of this situation and it's too late to turn back now. And if we are going to get something that is needed anyway, it might as well be pretty. :shrug:

I hope that they can the FC idea, it was one of those bad ideas that came about because everyone thought the economy was going to keep growing and growing with every store and restaurant filled to the rafters. They have lots of room out over there that they can add an adults only resort and entertainment area.

westoffcmed.png

I think that this idea can solve many different problems. We get back the nighttime entertainment area, though I doubt it would be an exact copy which could also be a good thing. Guests won't have a bunch of kids and teenagers being rowdy and loud in the pool area. The restaurants won't have children disrupting the mood the establishment and disney can focus better on themes. I have a 2 yo dd, so I am not an anti-child person, but sometimes it is nice to have a children free vacation that really is child free.

Right, which I like. It's the rule I have a problem with, not the absence of children.

Well I doubt that the customers that spend their time at a&V and the GF will follow the rules if they have a 8 or 9.75 yo with them. Disney doesn't check birth certificates, so they say 10 but younger ones do get lead in as long as the dress code is followed.

Disney has the rule in place so that if someone complains, they can always fall back on that so they don't have to comp meals.

I'll give you a little hope. Let's just say for now that the current DTD, PI and WestSide put together is only about 1/3 of the size it will be when it is complete. :animwink:

Well I will be happy if that vision of Downtown Disney really looks like a downtown disney, kinda of like what Reston's Town Center looks like.

Hopefuly the other 2/3s are parking structors...:p

this isn't Anaheim

mobycorporate.jpg

I imagine that it looks more like the gang at Mooby's corporate.

Seen on a billboard during Boston's Big Dig: "Rome wasn't built in a day... if it was, we would have hired their contractor."

They would have charged less also.

NowInc

Still only hearing "not happening" whispers from my sources. I am still prying for more details and an actual reason before I post more of what I've heard.

Kirk88

If it happens, Hyperion Wharf looks great (on paper). Hope it does, I hate to see empty buildings anywhere (especially WDW).

On another topic, was anybody else at the Weird Al concert at PI back in '96? IT WAS AWESOME!:sohappy: I remember catching Pat Benetar a night or 2 later.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom