Sigma announces 18-35mm f/1.8 APS-C zoom

WDWFigment

I can't imagine a third party, non-full frame lens breaking the $2,000 barrier.

It does look sweet, though. Hopefully they're working on something comparable for full frame.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Wonder how long it will take to actually make it to market? Sigma have a bad record in that department.

NowInc

LOL I was just coming here to post this as well. Really surprised by the price, AND a July launch date.

The price DOES have me a bit concerned however. Hopefully the quality isn't going to suffer. As of now..yes..I will be getting one, but some reviews may sway me away from it..I mostly would want this for some wide dark ride shots ;)

NowInc

Oh..july is only for Canon btw...so I will be waiting until the nikon version "later in the year". Which I see as an advantage so I can read others impressions over it

ddbowdoin

NowInc

For $800 I wasn't expecting anything but plastic to be honest...im more concerned over image quality. Hopefully by August I'll have a large array of source images to decide with

ddbowdoin

For $800 I wasn't expecting anything but plastic to be honest...im more concerned over image quality. Hopefully by August I'll have a large array of source images to decide with

my biggest thing was we didn't know a price tag, so people were hopeful of a full metal / weather sealed beast... so now it's an 800 dollar plastic prosumer lens.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
my biggest thing was we didn't know a price tag, so people were hopeful of a full metal / weather sealed beast... so now it's an 800 dollar plastic prosumer lens.
Really though this is Sigma's market. It seems that the third part lenses have become the option when cost is a factor.

NowInc

3rd party doesn't mean it has to be built to feel cheap. I have held so many 3rd party lenses that are tanks. I have never personally used a sigma, and have heard many mixed things about them...so we'll have to pretty much wait and see (as of now, no one has worked with a "production model"). Overall tho, an f1.8 (even if all plastic) for that price is very attractive...IF the images hold up.

WDWFigment

Although I'm never really "excited" to pay more for a lens, this price point is a little disappointing to me because with it comes cheaper construction and possibly quality control (a notorious problem for Sigma, although they've been turned it around recently).

Sigma has been hitting home runs recently with its "Art" line (I have their 35mm f/1.4 and I think it's better than the Nikon 35mm f/1.4...and it's incredibly well built), I guess I was sort of hoping for that. I mean, this f/1.8 zoom is a game-changing lens, it seems like that they'd want to do everything possible to get as many glowing reviews with it.

Then again, I'm sure they'll get some glowing reviews (and get it in more hands) thanks to that price tag.

Ultimately, image quality will win the day. There were some leaked photos on a Japanese blog a month or so ago, and they looked pretty good. Nothing full size, so it's hard to fully judge its performance. I'll reserve judgment until I get a chance to test it myself.

PhotoDave219

I have an EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM... It's plenty heavy. I wouldn't even want to carry an f/1.8 version should anyone build one! As for 18-35mm, consider the application; it's for APS-C. While not a large range, it does cover much of what a 24-70mm would on full frame - and at f/1.8. This could be your "one lens" for travel and not require a separate, fast prime.

Don't look at me - I travel with a manual focus rangefinder and a bag full of primes. But when I did crawl WDW with a DSLR and zooms... It got heavy after a while, trust me. A couple of hours downtown at the park is one thing... 10+ hours at a WDW park is a whollllle different story.

Side thought here. When I was photographing SWW, I went light. Went for the D7000 w/ eye-fi card with the 12-24, 18-105 & 70-300. Main walk-around was 18-105. Shot everything at 5.6. Uploaded to phone, edited, put online. Certainly a lot more fun then lugging around the D3 & D700. (Plus a Holga around my neck.)

Was much more discreet than the guy who brought the 300/2.8 (That must have been a pleasant convo w/ management) or the guy with the 70-200/2.8+2xTC & a grip to carry his bag. I like being discreet, I prefer to blend in.... as much as a wookie height guy with a holga around his neck can.

BoarderPhreak

Side thought here. When I was photographing SWW, I went light. Went for the D7000 w/ eye-fi card with the 12-24, 18-105 & 70-300. Main walk-around was 18-105. Shot everything at 5.6. Uploaded to phone, edited, put online. Certainly a lot more fun then lugging around the D3 & D700. (Plus a Holga around my neck.)

Was much more discreet than the guy who brought the 300/2.8 (That must have been a pleasant convo w/ management) or the guy with the 70-200/2.8+2xTC & a grip to carry his bag. I like being discreet, I prefer to blend in.... as much as a wookie height guy with a holga around his neck can.
LOL, yeah - me too. Small and light. I've schlepped a trio of zooms and a 1D body, and that was after I ditched a fast prime and flash at the resort. It's just not fun. Capable, sure. Discreet? No. I shoot with a Leica M and a couple of primes. Done. AF is for sissies. :D

Man, a 300/2.8?! That's awesome. No way I'd consider it, but probably pretty fly for AK. I just sold mine, actually. Nice, but not enough reach.

CP_alum08

I'm still excited to try it out. I understand that it may not be a "professional" lens...but I don't think it was ever billed as one, was it? Lower price point means (presumably) more people will buy it.

ddbowdoin

I'm still excited to try it out. I understand that it may not be a "professional" lens...but I don't think it was ever billed as one, was it? Lower price point means (presumably) more people will buy it.
It may not have been but when you're introducing a product as the first 1.8 fixed aperture zoom lens it will peak the interest of people who know what they're doing, not so much for the average soccer mom with kit lenses in their bag.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom