Shark Reef to close at Typhoon Lagoon

WDWFantasmicFan

With regards to Shark Reef closing - I would hope that something new is coming during the refurb. Hopefully they won't just pave it over and chuck some sand on it, calling it a seating area. The park could do with a new slide or something - plenty of room for one back there...They haven't had one for a while...

TomP

i could only imagine that the upkeep for the attraction has something to do do with it.

does the tank/pool have some kind of filtration system? i can't remember if people have to shower first to remove any of the chlorine chemicals off themselves before getting into the reef?

I have no knowledge of how the shark pool works, but years ago, I kept a 30 gal saltwater aquarium. It was very expensive, difficult and time consuming to maintain the right chemical balance, cleanliness and pH etc to the proper levels.

NewfieFan

With regards to Shark Reef closing - I would hope that something new is coming during the refurb. Hopefully they won't just pave it over and chuck some sand on it, calling it a seating area. The park could do with a new slide or something - plenty of room for one back there...They haven't had one for a while...

It could do with a nice family raft ride similar to BB. The one at TL is painful, it's not worth the effort of carrying that dang raft.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I have no knowledge of how the shark pool works, but years ago, I kept a 30 gal saltwater aquarium. It was very expensive, difficult and time consuming to maintain the right chemical balance, cleanliness and pH etc to the proper levels.

Back when I had a life I also kept a saltwater tank, they become easier to keep as size increases your two best allies are a protein skimmer and a ORP monitor. Smallest reasonable size is about a 55 gallon at that point chemistry becomes a lot less critical.

djlaosc

Dont be quick to assume the shark reef closure is a bad thing.

Unless we get a bigger and better version, then it will be a bad thing.

Doesn't mean that the replacement can't be a good thing, and could ultimately improve the park to be better than the park currently it is with Shark Reef included, but if we don't get a bigger and better version of Shark Reef included, then a good, unique part of the park will have been removed, which will be a bad thing, no matter what the replacement will be.

The question is - if something else is coming, why can't we have both? If something else is coming, then isn't there an area cleared beside Crush 'n' Gusher that it could go into?

Bairstow

You mean the Parade where the sound synchronization is off most of the time, and the centerpiece dragon fire effect does not work most of the time, That bit of 'awesomeness' count me underwhelmed if MSEP and Spectro could synchronize sound and motion why can't FoF after several months to work the bugs out.

And the coaster designed as an E ticket cut back to kiddie coaster levels - that leaves you 'is that it?' After the ride not to mention don't bother to try to ride if you are over 6' tall.

yes color me underwhelmed at what TDO has added this year.

The glass isn't 7/8s full, it's 1/8 empty, eh?

pumpkin7

Well, has it closed?
I hope it gets a good replacement of something similar if it has. This was a neat, free attraction. I did it a few times.

MerlinTheGoat

You mean the Parade where the sound synchronization is off most of the time, and the centerpiece dragon fire effect does not work most of the time, That bit of 'awesomeness' count me underwhelmed if MSEP and Spectro could synchronize sound and motion why can't FoF after several months to work the bugs out.

And the coaster designed as an E ticket cut back to kiddie coaster levels - that leaves you 'is that it?' After the ride not to mention don't bother to try to ride if you are over 6' tall.

yes color me underwhelmed at what TDO has added this year.
I do agree with your sentiments, particularly the Mine Train being far too short (it's a solid good ride but leaves you wanting more and feeling cheated, wouldn't consider waiting in the long as sin standby line). Though I will mention that I am 6'4" tall (and while definitely not an immense 300+ pounder, i'm not exactly thin as a whip either). I didn't really have any trouble at all with riding at all in spite of my height, I wouldn't even say the vehicles were uncomfortably snug to me. The vehicles on the old Snow White dark ride were actually a lot more tight and uncomfortable than Mine Train.

The dragon fire worked fine last I visited early this month. Don't know how consistent it usually is.

I am however very peeved at the poor condition of Living With the Land, its animatronics are in a similar state to Splash Mountain prior to 2013, tons broken. I'm very upset Maelstrom is leaving for Frozen, but I was equally upset to see the poor condition it was in during the last few days of operation. And despite their recent installation, there are already a ton of LED lights out on Crystal Palace (which is absurd considering these are VERY new LED lights which should last years or even decades, not months).

Last edited:

4disneylovers

We went to TL for the first time this past August. I knew the line would get long so we immediately went to this attraction. I did not enjoy it much. I was looking so forward to it but my mask was so clouded that I couldn't see where I was going much less sharks. Then when I took the mask off my face was burning really bad. Not just mine but my children too.

I wanted to do the other side where you pay $20 for the surface SCUBA but I wasn't going to have my face burning. I explained my dilemma to the CM working the counter and she explained that it was totally different and the cleaner they used was different and it would not burn my face. I was so glad I did it. I am a certified SCUBA diver but really never did anything with it. It was a very nice experience doing the surface SCUBA. We enjoyed it so much that I did it twice, my son did it 4 times and my daughter did it 3 times. My son used some of his spending money to do it. We spent a lot of money that day and I would do it again in a heartbeat!

Very sad to see it go but VERY glad that we got to experience it before it went.

Captain Chaos

I've been thinking over and over why they keep lowering their standards and the ONLY thing I can come up with is they don't WANT to be held to such a high standard anymore- too much time, money and effort.

They don't want to be held to a high standard anymore. They want to appeal to the redneck honey boo boo MURCIA crowd. And why try? They have their brand advocates on their payroll (freebies to feed their addiction), to tout how awesome and magical WDW is, despite the opposite becoming true. They have fans on message boards ready to shout down the doomers and gloomers. Why try? The white knights are ready at full force to shut up the detractors.

It saddens me, because TL was my home turf in my 3 years at Disney.

However, in my experience from the company, it is concerned with short-term profits, not long term, so closing Shark Reef is not unexpected, but very sad.

Actually, "very sad" doesn't cut it, because I began my Disney areer at TL, and used to proclaim it my favorite park. Shark Reef was a part of what made TL "Typhoon Lagoon"

note2001

What if the refurbishment is to take the experience away, but not the tank? Keep it as an aquarium. I'm sure human pollutants in the water are an issue as well as folk looking for a reason to sue. "A shark bit me!"

MrPromey

Both Festival of Fantasy and the Mine Train opened this year.
What exactly are your expectations?

As parades go, I'll say they did a fairly good job with Festival of Fantasy minus the audio and Malificent problems already mentioned. That said, it's a once a day during-good-weather parade that took the place of another parade. There is a limit to the draw something like this can offer to the property.

As far as the mine train, it looks great as atmosphere for the area from outside and for almost 60 seconds of the roughly two and a half minute ride, as you go through the single show scene, it's well done but there aren't 70 minute plus waits for it because it's amazing. They are there because it's all that is new in all of Disney World besides Little Mermaid which is even more of a disappointment in many respects. (remember how quickly those wait times came back to earth?)

I think those of us that seem less optimistic about the changes on property these days have expectations that they will some day give us another true e-ticket* instead of these c-d ticket attractions that they market as major e-ticket expansions.

*Just as a refresher, compare mine train to Pirates, Splash Mountain, Thunder Mountain (when everything was operational), Haunted Masion, etc. when you consider scope.

Last edited:
I would really wager "cost cutting"

It cost a lot to maintain a salt water tank with cleaning the snorkels. I have no doubt a manager will get a promotion for "maximizing profits" because the expenses were cut.

DABIGCHEEZ

Didn't read all 5 pages... but I hear it will be a new Lagoona Gator M&G! :p Honestly in all my many visits there we have never had any desire to do that attraction and only once went below to look at the fish. I like how Aquatica actually has the tanks as you go through the caves on the lazy river.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom