Seven Day Press Event Scheduled for May 21st

WDW1974

There was a change. The media event runs from May 23-25 now according to invites I've seen. Internally they were planning for May 21-27th though.

Media events always have floating dates and they are not the same for all organizations. They even print different itineraries that they think they are secretive about because they don't want one news organization/radio station/blogger/podcaster to know that their mortal enemy has a 5-day junket with a room at the Poly and special parties when you only have a 3-day with room at CBR and one QSR meal a day etc.

It has gotten much worse in the last decade with the rise in social media and bloggers/podcasters/Lifestylers etc.

I actually discovered the way DIS operated the hard way years ago when I was in a certain sector of the media biz and got invites to Disney events. I had three free nights at DAK Lodge (with the ability to extend for another five night at $99 a night, which I did) and decided to be there early -- what I thought was before the event -- and booked a Hotel Plaza property for one night. I then used my AP to go to EPCOT one night after a lovely dinner at Wendy's only to find a huge group of media having a private dinner party on one of the terraces (think it was Italy) on the lagoon. I did get the last laugh as I ran into Roy Disney outside the AA restrooms (the old ones as the new ones didn't exist) and got into a 15-minute conversation, which made his PR handler -- who knew who I was and that I was not happy to not have been invited to the 'extended media event' -- quite uncomfortable. I recall Roy having some not so nice things to say about Disney's Press Department right in front of the reps who were quite adept at reading my word balloons.

In other words, for some media this will be a two-night event, for others a 10-night one and all places in between.

WDW1974

Oh, and while I don't know specifics, my strong guess is this will be very current stuff centric -- meaning Pandora above all, new pyro show at MK, new villas at WL (that look terrible), new dining and shopping at DS and some talk about future things that have been announced. I wouldn't expect any announcements of substance here. More likely at D23 Expo ...

Rteetz

Media events always have floating dates and they are not the same for all organizations. They even print different itineraries that they think they are secretive about because they don't want one news organization/radio station/blogger/podcaster to know that their mortal enemy has a 5-day junket with a room at the Poly and special parties when you only have a 3-day with room at CBR and one QSR meal a day etc.

It has gotten much worse in the last decade with the rise in social media and bloggers/podcasters/Lifestylers etc.

I actually discovered the way DIS operated the hard way years ago when I was in a certain sector of the media biz and got invites to Disney events. I had three free nights at DAK Lodge (with the ability to extend for another five night at $99 a night, which I did) and decided to be there early -- what I thought was before the event -- and booked a Hotel Plaza property for one night. I then used my AP to go to EPCOT one night after a lovely dinner at Wendy's only to find a huge group of media having a private dinner party on one of the terraces (think it was Italy) on the lagoon. I did get the last laugh as I ran into Roy Disney outside the AA restrooms (the old ones as the new ones didn't exist) and got into a 15-minute conversation, which made his PR handler -- who knew who I was and that I was not happy to not have been invited to the 'extended media event' -- quite uncomfortable. I recall Roy having some not so nice things to say about Disney's Press Department right in front of the reps who were quite adept at reading my word balloons.

In other words, for some media this will be a two-night event, for others a 10-night one and all places in between.
Understandable. I was originally told by two sources the media event dates were May 21-27.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom