See Your Name on Poster in Rock N Roller Coaster Queue

Maerj

I really like this new feature, very cool. In the future they could have AA figures turn to you and address you by name. This is a great addition.

Jon81uk

Hi Chris, firstly, thanks for the warm welcome. Really nice of you. It's always good to be noticed, thanks.

Did MM+ really cost $2 billion? If so I will never look at my magic band in the same way again. For $2 billion you would have thought they could have at least added some sparkles or the very least a picture of Mickey to the bands. Okay I know you can buy things to decorate the band, but don't get me started on up charging for stuff else I will become the grumpy one!!

$2billion was the development costs and installation costs. A large chunk was just network cable infrastructure as many places still have 40 year old phone lines etc. Adding WiFi to all parks and resorts was a big task!
After the initial development cost the bands are an ongoing cost built into the hotel room price. You can get a decorated one if you want to spend $25+.

RSoxNo1

$2billion was the development costs and installation costs. A large chunk was just network cable infrastructure as many places still have 40 year old phone lines etc. Adding WiFi to all parks and resorts was a big task!
After the initial development cost the bands are an ongoing cost built into the hotel room price. You can get a decorated one if you want to spend $25+.
Imagine how much it would have cost if the Wifi worked.

Luxe

Well first off, do you think Disney's top management gives a hoot what criticisms are spelled out here? Quite obviously, not everything that Disney does is a masterpiece, but they are certainly getting better now than in the recent past. What the heck is wrong with adding these touches to certain rides and queues? Kids would love to see their names up there. It certainly is healthy to discuss issues, but it seems that most here lately feel that if you like anything that Disney does, you are a pixie dust snorting idiot with rose colored glasses while you drink the Disney kool-aid. Northing could be further than the truth. Oh, and we like the additions to DS as we spend a good amount of time there every trip. It's looking pretty awesome. Oh, and attacking a new poster like people here have already done is completely unacceptable.

I'm not saying I don't like what's being added, my opinion is quite the contrary rather. I like the little things like the custom posters because it adds a little bit of magic to an otherwise boring activity(waiting in a queue). I was just pointing out that it's better to debate about whether something is good or not than to have a board where we all say how much we love what's being added. I'm probably in the minority that likes most of the small additions that a large chunk of people on the forums seem to dislike. Although, naturally, I don't always agree with everything they do. I'm not sure if you were referring to my post but I in no way meant to attack the new poster, was just trying to point out that it's better to have discussion from both parties than not, even if most of the time it devolves into rants about how TDC is going downhill etc etc :banghead:

Bairstow

So we're turning the parks into Minority Report... excellent:

Dang, you beat me to it.

The thing that gets me about touches like this and the Haunted Mansion is that the limited amount of information available to their systems, for now (thank God) is limited basically to your name, billing address, restaurant reservations, and maybe your spending and walking habits in their parks. Any "personalized" content based on this limited information is going to be consequently so impersonal and robotic that to any intelligent person it's going to have the opposite of its intended effect- that is, make Disney look lazy and impersonal. The human touch they're trying to replicate here can (for now) only be added through the use of talented live cast members, something that due to cost, Disney is going to be less and less likely to do in the future.

Buried20KLeague

Well first off, do you think Disney's top management gives a hoot what criticisms are spelled out here? Quite obviously, not everything that Disney does is a masterpiece, but they are certainly getting better now than in the recent past. What the heck is wrong with adding these touches to certain rides and queues? Kids would love to see their names up there. It certainly is healthy to discuss issues, but it seems that most here lately feel that if you like anything that Disney does, you are a pixie dust snorting idiot with rose colored glasses while you drink the Disney kool-aid. Northing could be further than the truth. Oh, and we like the additions to DS as we spend a good amount of time there every trip. It's looking pretty awesome. Oh, and attacking a new poster like people here have already done is completely unacceptable.

These screens are a result of MM+, which is the bane of my park-going existance, so yes I'm going to complain about them. I'm not at all negative about everything about the parks, but I am when it comes to MM+, or to be more specific the dollars attached to its development and implementation. Not to mention the upkeep and hardware replacement (which reportedly wasn't budgeted for in any way).

I don't see how any sane Disney Parks fan can see MM+ as anything short of a bloated, over-reaching, over extended, over budget Albatross. And that's not opinion... That's fact. We're seeing cutbacks in all areas of the parks right now because of it, in combination with the Shanghai problem. MM+ was (and remains) unnecessary. It was designed not solely with you (the park-goer) in mind. It was designed to wring more blood out of the turnip. It was designed with the ability for Disney to manipulate (and reward) whatever segment of guests they wish, AND NO ONE WILL EVER KNOW. It has the ability to turn a day in the parks into an elaborate, unmonitored caste system. They're not doing it now... But the capability has been built. And don't think it hasn't been discussed. It's a matter of time. They've got to keep increasing the bottom line for Wall Street. They've got to increase revenue. They've now built a potential revenue generator that can't be watched, detected, or quantified by anyone watching. It's all behind the curtain. It's coming.

But hey... Now we don't have to get to DHS at rope drop for Toy Story FP's, amirite?

I'm just glad I'm not a "proud DVC member" that has to worry about justifying 50 years of vacations in the swamps. I had the paperwork delivered. I was a signature away. I thank my lucky stars quite often I didn't sign on that line. Ever worry or wonder how much further they'll change the "benefits" for members that might negatively impact your resale value further? I do. And I'm clearly not alone. This latest round of cutbacks on purchases via resale have a large segment of members freaking out. And I practice what I preach. I vote with my wallet. WDW has lost out on revenue from my family in the tens of thousands, easily. We still get our Disney fix, but elsewhere. Tokyo. Anaheim. And last month we even went back to WDW and had a great time. And I'll even admit that one day I decided to switch a bunch of stuff around because of rain and the app made it handy. But it was also unnecessary. I made adjustments on the fly using the system, but only because I had to use the system in the first place. Before MM+, I could have made those same changes to our schedule without taking a phone out of my backpack. But my point is that I'm not one that comes here and complains... And then still books three trips a year to WDW. I practice what I preach.

There was major downtime and issues with MM+ when we were there, and I would hear constant complaints from those around me. I would get stopped by people over and over (I'd say at least 12 times over the two days with major issues) once people heard I knew what I was talking about for help or information, or just to vent for any number of reasons (planning required, reliance on technology, difficulty if you're not educated on how to use it, etc). Think about that. That these things are issues in a Disney park. On vacation. We saw lines out the door at every single GR at each park literally every day of our trip. They've created a monster.

When I think about the nifty screens that show a kid's name, THAT'S what I think about. Not the screen. But what it means and what it's cost. Both in hard dollars and in principle.

And for the record, I didn't see one post attacking the new poster from this thread. In fact, I saw the opposite.

Last edited:

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I'm not saying I don't like what's being added, my opinion is quite the contrary rather. I like the little things like the custom posters because it adds a little bit of magic to an otherwise boring activity(waiting in a queue). I was just pointing out that it's better to debate about whether something is good or not than to have a board where we all say how much we love what's being added. I'm probably in the minority that likes most of the small additions that a large chunk of people on the forums seem to dislike. Although, naturally, I don't always agree with everything they do. I'm not sure if you were referring to my post but I in no way meant to attack the new poster, was just trying to point out that it's better to have discussion from both parties than not, even if most of the time it devolves into rants about how TDC is going downhill etc etc :banghead:
Sorry, it was the "If people said everything Disney does is an absolute masterpiece of perfection" comment as nobody believes that. That seemed just a bit on the snarky side if you will to the poster. That was my impression of the comment on a message board. My apologies, as that does not seem to have been your intent.

I completely agree with debate is healthy, but that doesn't happen very much around here anymore. I don't agree with everything they are doing either, but the addition of these little bits of magic (which it will be to the kids) are a good thing, IMHO.

I also completely disagree that WDW is going downhill. Actually, I think it hit bottom some time ago, and they now seem to be on an upward tick. I have been going since 1978 as an adult already (my family could never afford to go when I was growing up, despite being in the middle class), and some of the naysayers here went as kids in the 80's or 90's, and only remember the great time they had, so Disney was awesome and could do no wrong. So now they think it's terrible as an adult, when it really isn't anywhere near as bad as they say. But you can't tell them anything. Their mind is made up - Disney sux, and we should all stop going just to show what for.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
These screens are a result of MM+, which is the bane of my park-going existance, so yes I'm going to complain about them. I'm not at all negative about everything about the parks, but I am when it comes to MM+, or to be more specific the dollars attached to its development and implementation. Not to mention the upkeep and hardware replacement (which reportedly wasn't budgeted for in any way).

I don't see how any sane Disney Parks fan can see MM+ as anything short of a bloated, over-reaching, over extended, over budget Albatross. And that's not opinion... That's fact. We're seeing cutbacks in all areas of the parks right now because of it, in combination with the Shanghai problem. MM+ was (and remains) unnecessary. It was designed not solely with you (the park-goer) in mind. It was designed to wring more blood out of the turnip. It was designed with the ability for Disney to manipulate (and reward) whatever segment of guests they wish, AND NO ONE WILL EVER KNOW. It has the ability to turn a day in the parks into an elaborate, unmonitored caste system. They're not doing it now... But the capability has been built. And don't think it hasn't been discussed. It's a matter of time. They've got to keep increasing the bottom line for Wall Street. They've got to increase revenue. They've now built a potential revenue generator that can't be watched, detected, or quantified by anyone watching. It's all behind the curtain. It's coming.

But hey... Now we don't have to get to DHS at rope drop for Toy Story FP's, amirite?

I'm just glad I'm not a "proud DVC member" that has to worry about justifying 50 years of vacations in the swamps. I had the paperwork delivered. I was a signature away. I thank my lucky stars quite often I didn't sign on that line. Ever worry or wonder how much further they'll change the "benefits" for members that might negatively impact your resale value further? I do. And I'm clearly not alone. This latest round of cutbacks on purchases via resale have a large segment of members freaking out. And I practice what I preach. I vote with my wallet. WDW has lost out on revenue from my family in the tens of thousands, easily. We still get our Disney fix, but elsewhere. Tokyo. Anaheim. And last month we even went back to WDW and had a great time. And I'll even admit that one day I decided to switch a bunch of stuff around because of rain and the app made it handy. But it was also unnecessary. I made adjustments on the fly using the system, but only because I had to use the system in the first place. Before MM+, I could have made those same changes to our schedule without taking a phone out of my backpack. But my point is that I'm not one that comes here and complains... And then still books three trips a year to WDW. I practice what I preach.

There was major downtime and issues with MM+ when we were there, and I would hear constant complaints from those around me. I would get stopped by people over and over (I'd say at least 12 times over the two days with major issues) once people heard I knew what I was talking about for help or information, or just to vent for any number of reasons (planning required, reliance on technology, difficulty if you're not educated on how to use it, etc). Think about that. That these things are issues in a Disney park. On vacation. We saw lines out the door at every single GR at each park literally every day of our trip. They've created a monster.

When I think about the nifty screens that show a kid's name, THAT'S what I think about. Not the screen. But what it means and what it's cost. Both in hard dollars and in principle.

And for the record, I didn't see one post attacking the new poster from this thread. In fact, I saw the opposite.
Well, you're wrong.

jessfriends

Original Poster
Did this happen automatically with the Magic Bands, or is it something I need to log in and activate somehow?
Thanks!

It was automatic. I noticed my name on a poster and was like oh cool that's my name. At a second glance it had my city. That's when I realized it was picking up my magic band. I then went to get my phone out of the bag and then they called the line forward. I saw it again the next day but it was different but I didn't have my phone with me. I didn't see any other rides doing this but I liked it.

jessfriends

Original Poster
I love these little additions. We know that the Mansion, Small World, Expedition Everest, and Rockin' Roller Coaster all have them. Anything else?

I was only aware of small world which wasn't working with the name part but it did say good bye since I speak English but I am not sure if our whole boat spoke English or if it was just set to say that. I was in single rider or fastpass lines so I guess I missed the others.

Incomudro

It was automatic. I noticed my name on a poster and was like oh cool that's my name. At a second glance it had my city. That's when I realized it was picking up my magic band. I then went to get my phone out of the bag and then they called the line forward. I saw it again the next day but it was different but I didn't have my phone with me. I didn't see any other rides doing this but I liked it.

Thanks!
I'm not going to tell my kids ahead of time.
This'll be a cool surprise for them.

Mr. Peabody

Leaving aside my negative feelings toward this whole new "Storymaker" initiative or whatever it's officially titled, this new gimmick is just poor show for the Rock 'n Roller Coaster itself. The premise of the attraction is that you are going to see Aerosmith at the recording studio and end up recompensated with a limo ride to the concert for which the band is running late. The guests are not supposed to be playing a role in the story other than themselves. These new screens (and they look exactly like screens in those photos, not posters as would be thematically appropriate - another example of bad show) imply that guests are rock stars themselves, which totally contradicts everything that happens later in the preshow and the ride. Whoever approved this idea is clueless about storytelling and is simply grasping at straws to justify the use of new technology.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom