Save the Adventurers Club

TOCPE82

That post is a little something we cooked up at the SavePI radio show / podcast. Trying to get everyone on the same page.

Sure, it may be all for naught, but I don't think many of us would feel right about just simply not trying. Plus, Disney is a company that says they listen to their guests every time they decide to make a change..... Well I hope they're listening now.

Goofnut1980

I understand people enjoying the place.. I have never been so I am not able to judge it.. BUT.. we all know there has to be a reason Disney is closing it... and once they make up their mind I doubt we could change them... Think of it this way.. with the club gone.. now you have great memories from when you visited.. Like the first time you went to Disney when you were a kid... it will always bring a smile to your face and you will always remember how much you loved it... but now you are making new memories... maybe something even better will be built in its place... who knows!!

PKD

As a side note, the new restaurant going into Rock N Roll Beach club is already under development and construction should be starting soon. <Economy slowed and plans were pulled>

whylightbulb

Save the Adventurer's Club Strategies

1. Letter Writing

Write a letter to voice your concerns. Emails are great, and should be written, but because of their electronic nature, they can also be easily ignored. A form letter is fine, but writing from the heart is the best way to go. It shows that you are willing to take the time to physically write a letter and apply postage to make sure your concerns are heard. The addresses of the right people can be found here:

http://kungalooshforever.com/addresses.html

Be respectful, but firm. Let them know that you won't be spending your money, or as much money at WDW, especially at DTD as a whole. Be sure to specifically mention the good times and unique experiences you've had. Also, include photos of you enjoying the club(s). Some have even suggested sending in old maps or (paper) tribal masks.

2. Sales Slowdown

There is really no reason to purchase things at DTD necessarily. The vast majority of items at downtown Disney can be purchased at numerous other locations on Disney Property. Avoid spending money down there (Except PI and the AC). If you must purchase something, this is the suggested protocol:

Me: "Mr./Ms. CM, I'd love to purchase this. Could I speak to someone in charge? I'd like a few moments of their time."

CM: "Sure."

Me: "Mr./Ms. Manager, I would love to purchase this. However, given the current situation with PI/CW/AC, I refuse to spend another dollar at DTD until the situation is resolved. Could you assist me in locating this item elsewhere on the resort? I will go and purchase this item from the other location directly. Could you also convey to your management and Kevin Landsberry that you have customers that are directly refusing to spend their money at DTD because of the current PI/CW/AC situation? In return, I would be happy to phone call or e-mail whoever you'd like to let them know of the outstanding service I've received from you today."

Be respectful, but firm. They will be happy to assist you, because guest satisfaction is a huge concern of all DTD managers. This will also have the added benefit of tying up their time as well as hitting DTD where it hurts: The Bottom Line ($)

3. Phone Calls

There are two different types of phone calls that need to be made. The first type can be made by anyone.

3-1. Call Kevin Lansberry at (407) 828 - 4591 and leave him a message. This is his private and secure voicemail number. If you leave a phone number, they will most surely call you back and try to "sell" you off of your concerns using copious amounts of pixie dust and doublespeak. Tell them that this is unacceptable, again being respectful but firm. Mentioning a declining level of satisfaction with your Disney World trips couldn't hurt either.

3-2. When you are at the resort, call guest services from your room telephone and voice your concerns. Ask to recieve a call back from Kevin Lansberry or Meg Crofton personally. They may not actually return your call, but rest assured someone will. This not only shows them our resolve, but it also ties up their time and office staff doing rudamenary tasks that are usually shoved onto Guest Services cast members.

4. Resarchers / Guest Services

While on Disney property actively seek out Disney Research cast members and ask to take their survey. This is especially important when at Downtown Disney. Be sure to always rate your experience as poor, and for the reason, state the closing of the AC/CW/PI. These are the surveys Disney uses when they use the "Our Guests Say they want...." excuses.

In addition, stop at every Guest Services location you pass to lodge a formal complaint there. The cast members who work there are there to rectify problems and keep guests happy. A flood of upset guests regarding an issue will get it noiced. It is important to do this every time you go, many many times per trip. The more of their time we waste, and the more they hear us complain, the more high profile our cause becomes.

5. Anouncements / Busses and Guerilla Marketing

While on our trips to WDW, it is imperative that we spread the word to other guests we encounter on our stay. It is important to note that this does not mean we need to harass other guests and ruin their experience, but during a day in the parks most people strike up casual conversations with other guests during which the subject of the AC closing and what they can do about it can be brought up. You don't need to lecture them, but a quick mention of something they can do about it will help. Grow our numbers.

Disney's bus system is a great resource. Thousands of people traveling, very little going on and for the most part, quiet. One could simply make an anouncement that the AC/PI/CW is closing on Sept. 27th and that a great piece of what makes Disney, Disney will be lost. Make it clear we are not asking for money, simply a moment of their time to tell them what they can do to help our (and now hopefully their) cause.

Wear a pin, shirt, sticker, etc. supporting the AC/CW/PI. Not only will it strike up conversations about our efforts, but you'll clearly be one of the most dapper individuals around.

6. DVC Members and serious prospective Members

The first step is to have all current DVC Members call the DVC Member Services line at 1-800-800-9800 and let them know that you are not happy about this decision as a member, and that it will affect your decision to buy more points and/or reccomend the DVC to friends. They may mention that your real complaint it with Disney, and not the DVC. Do not accept this. Tell them that WDW and the DVC are the same company and that company is not treating is doing its best customers a HUGE disservice by closing down PI/AC/CW. They will list your name and tell you that your concerns have been heard. Also, be sure to contact your Sales Guide and DVC president Jim Lewis.

The CMs manning the DVC kiosks across the resort can't do anything to help our cause. Their job is to get potential customer's information into the DVC computer system & to get potential customers over to Saratoga Springs for a sales presentation. What prospective members can do is to go on a sales presentation, listen to what the guide has to say and then tell them something like this:

"I could be interested in what you have to offer. I want to think about it for a while. However, there is one thing I do want to make clear to DVC: For such an expensive purchase (current entry price is around $16K), I have an expectation that Disney will provide some sort of (evening) adult entertainment area as part of the resort that is not an additional shopping venue. I am watching the problems over at the Downtown Disney area carefully & if I see adult entertainment venues such as the CW & AC being eliminated, it will directly impact my decision to purchase a DVC ownership interest. Could you convey this message back to DVC management by e-mail & copy Kevin Landsberry on the e-mail?"

With the summer vacation season, Disney is now into one of their peak DVC selling periods. There are a limited number of DVC sales presentations each day. If you start cutting into these presentations with people who won't buy due to Mr. Landsberry's new strip mall project, it will get their attention. Remember, DVC is the goose that lays the golden eggs.

Remember, if we do all this our impact will be felt.

Has anyone considered approaching an investment group or a restaurant group? Disney responds to (any company for that matter) money, ROI, Lease revenue etc.

Perhaps there are companies or an investment consortium that would be interested in taking ownership and refurbishing this space. There probably isn't enough time for this but maybe it's worth a shot. If someone came in with money and a solid business model to show Disney many years of rent for the space they may be willing to sell AC.

RiversideBunny

This idea was mentioned in another thread (tks to 'fngoofy'):

Add a restaurant to it and have it function as the waiting area/lounge.

If you are trying to get Disney to save or resurrect the Adventurers Club, you'll have to address the profit situation.
The Disney managers are sitting there looking at the profit history going back many years.
Just saying that you like the AC won't be enough.
You'll have to think like a business manager and lay out some practical ways to increase the profits.

:)

whylightbulb

This idea was mentioned in another thread (tks to 'fngoofy'):

Add a restaurant to it and have it function as the waiting area/lounge.

If you are trying to get Disney to save or resurrect the Adventurers Club, you'll have to address the profit situation.
The Disney managers are sitting there looking at the profit history going back many years.
Just saying that you like the AC won't be enough.
You'll have to think like a business manager and lay out some practical ways to increase the profits.

:)
Actually, that's what I'm suggesting. Not that anyone on this board would do it but maybe they know someone that has a friend or family member with connections to an investment group or a company interested in "eatertainment" that would be willing to look into the possibility.

Master Gracey

Original Poster
... with the club gone.. now you have great memories from when you visited.. Like the first time you went to Disney when you were a kid... it will always bring a smile to your face and you will always remember how much you loved it... but now you are making new memories... maybe something even better will be built in its place... who knows!!

Couldn't disagree more! While fond memories certainly have their charm, there is one thing better than memories, being able to actually visit the place. I do not look forward to the possible future of pointing to a second rate, run of the mill restaurant, or T-Shirt store and telling my child, "a great experience once existed there, it was possibly the greatest attraction in all of Disney history. But, then some bean counters came along, and once again greed, instead of storytelling, took the reigns. And now son, another piece of Disney history rests in Yesterland". I know variations of that story will have to be told in other areas of the property: i.e. Fantasyland's Pooh section, some areas of Tomorrowland, all of Future World, ect., but let us keep fighting so that story will not need to be told along the shores of Lake Buena Vista!

Some days you eat the mouse.
Some days the mouse eats you.
But never give into the mouse without a fight!

KUNGALOOSH!

wickedsoccer22

For those of you that know that Disney's online game Virtual Magic Kingdom closed on May 25th. We we made aware about 6 weeks before then. We sent probably tens of thousands of emails and hundreds of letters. We had people intervied on local newstations in SoCal. We had protestors outside Walt Disney Internet Group. We tried and did just about everything we could to stop it from closing and it didn't work. But I have every faith in all of you trying to save the Adventures Club! Good luck to you and I hope you have better luck than we did with VMK.

Buried20KLeague

For those of you that know that Disney's online game Virtual Magic Kingdom closed on May 25th. We we made aware about 6 weeks before then. We sent probably tens of thousands of emails and hundreds of letters. We had people intervied on local newstations in SoCal. We had protestors outside Walt Disney Internet Group. We tried and did just about everything we could to stop it from closing and it didn't work. But I have every faith in all of you trying to save the Adventures Club! Good luck to you and I hope you have better luck than we did with VMK.

You're comparing apples to oranges. I really dislike when people compare trying to save VMK to saving the AC.

They're complete opposites. :brick::brick::brick:

VMK was a cost to Disney. A cost. And ONLY a cost. They got no income stream what so ever from VMK, unless you count the advertisement they got for their parks, or if you count those expensive pins you could buy for a while in the parks that would give you special add-ons to your rooms or different hats or whatever. But that was MINIMAL at best.

The AC is not a "cost". It's supposed to be a revenue producer. It's supposed to make Disney money. Now, whether it makes them ENOUGH money is apparently up for debate, and could be why we're in the situation we're in with the AC. But it produces revenue, and there's no denying that. There's at least SOME benefit for Disney to keep it open. It's a revenue stream.

While I feel for the "save the VMK" guys, I always saw that as a group basically saying "save this thing because we really like it... We know you don't get anything out of it, and it costs money to maintain... But we really like it!!" The AC isn't like that.

wickedsoccer22

You're comparing apples to oranges. I really dislike when people compare trying to save VMK to saving the AC.

They're complete opposites. :brick::brick::brick:

VMK was a cost to Disney. A cost. And ONLY a cost. They got no income stream what so ever from VMK, unless you count the advertisement they got for their parks, or if you count those expensive pins you could buy for a while in the parks that would give you special add-ons to your rooms or different hats or whatever. But that was MINIMAL at best.

The AC is not a "cost". It's supposed to be a revenue producer. It's supposed to make Disney money. Now, whether it makes them ENOUGH money is apparently up for debate, and could be why we're in the situation we're in with the AC. But it produces revenue, and there's no denying that. There's at least SOME benefit for Disney to keep it open. It's a revenue stream.

While I feel for the "save the VMK" guys, I always saw that as a group basically saying "save this thing because we really like it... We know you don't get anything out of it, and it costs money to maintain... But we really like it!!" The AC isn't like that.

I wasn't trying to compare/relate the two. I was just saying I hope you have more luck than we did. You have a better argument against them, I just hope that they reconsider. Ours was a lousy computer game It's a shame that a piece of Disney history gets turned into another shop or restaurant. Why do they continue to change the extraordinary to the mediocre replacement?

wvdisneyfamily

I wasn't trying to compare/relate the two. I was just saying I hope you have more luck than we did. You have a better argument against them, I just hope that they reconsider. Ours was a lousy computer game It's a shame that a piece of Disney history gets turned into another shop or restaurant. Why do they continue to change the extraordinary to the mediocre replacement?

The AC is popular but I'm not sure it's a piece of history.

CRO-Magnum

Consider the Options...

You are delusional if you think an online petition or write-in campaign will save the AC. Believe me, I love the AC as much as the next person, and it was the only reason I have been buying Premium Annual Passes for the past several years, but it is flatout GONE as of 9/28

While I will not argue the AC can survive an already made decision in its existing form what I am hoping and pushing for is a revival of sorts. By expressing our interest and fondness for the AC we give the Disney company every reason to bring it back in another form in another location. There are three realities which underscore the value of AC which I cannot believe Disney has truly considered:
1. AC has intrinsic value proven by its established following who are writing the letters. As Fox realized with Family Guy it is difficult enough to establish a new identity that when such a thing occurs you shouldn't take it lightly.
2. Disney's fundamental vacation philosophy is built on the concept of escape. The berm surrounding Disneyland. The utilidoors under the Magic Kingdom. The AC provides a new experience in escapism for most by making them part of a whimsical show already in progress. Even the most timid soon find themselves interacting with the performers and other guests becaues no matter how odd or strange they may be, the performers take it to a new level.
3. AC is a truly unique environment which can be adapted to a limitless set of locations and storylines. For example why not open it as part of a premium restaurant inside World Showcase where the trials and tribulations of world (as in showcase) travellers (as in cast member performers) are showcased in a humorous, dynamic story woven throughout the day. Family Guy lived, died, and was resurrected on its own. I firmly believe AC is a victim of the lack of success of the other clubs. I have never gone to PI without visiting the AC; I cannot say that of any other club. The AC is the beautiful Victorian home caught in the neighborhood of ramshackle huts and decrepit buildings.

My desire is to see the AC spirit live on in other attractions. I love the AC but am admittedly bored with the same storylines since 1989. Move the concept forward.

firemandisney

P.I. is GONE (soon to be) and A.C. is out of here also.
Time to get over it.
The whole WORLD will be better without P.I.
Lets not try to pick and choose which parts of it to keep.
Just say goodbye and realize that things can only go up in standards from what P.I. was. (which was about as low as you can get for WDW standards.)
Im personally hoping (and its a distinct possibility) that a high end shopping area will replace P.I.
I.E. Barneys, Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom type shopping.
Of course nice restaurants and other "Disney shopping" too.
Im not sure whats going to be where P.I. is but thank goodness that whole area is getting replaced.
It just seemed to attract too many locals that had no respect nor care about a Disney experience. Honestly, If you really know all the facts..you'll know that alot of locals was horribly embarrassed by the sterotype that P.I. caused. I think the locals are as happy as us vacationers that P.I. will be replaced.

firemandisney

The plans have already been set for the reconstruction of all of PI. This is a dead issue and you are all wasting your time. Move on!
110% correct!
Unfortunately, I think the SAME folks that call and write letters complaining about refurbs and their so called "bad moments" at Disney are the same folks who are behind this letter writing campaign to save the A.C. Yep, it WAS and IS a nice place...but its GONE or soon will be.
Its kinda like the wagon wheel. It served a purpose for a while but its time to move on.

maggiegrace1

P.I. is GONE (soon to be) and A.C. is out of here also.
Thanks for the newsflash..
Time to get over it.
umm okay!:rolleyes:
The whole WORLD will be better without P.I.
Lets not try to pick and choose which parts of it to keep.
Just say goodbye and realize that things can only go up in standards from what P.I. was. (which was about as low as you can get for WDW standards.)
That is YOUR opinion....
Im personally hoping (and its a distinct possibility)Why do you think that?that a high end shopping area will replace P.I.
I.E. Barneys, Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom type shopping.
Totally makes no sense to have at WDW at all..:veryconfu
because I can shop at those in my hometown if I feel like it..:hammer:
Of course nice restaurants and other "Disney shopping" too.
Im not sure whats going to be where P.I. is but thank goodness that whole area is getting replaced.
It just seemed to attract too many locals that had no respect nor care about a Disney experience. Honestly, If you really know all the facts..you'll know that alot of locals was horribly embarrassed by the sterotype that P.I. caused. I think the locals are as happy as us vacationers that P.I. will be replaced.
How do you know these facts?

The thing is some love PI and some hate it..just like everything else in the world...

To say that " The whole WORLD would be better without PI" is a little drastic I believe..How do you know what the whole world wants?

and obviously if you read this thread and others you will see that the whole WORLD is not happy it is going away...:brick:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom