runDisney races - out with the old, in with the new?

dreamfinder

More info.

$1,100 for a 4 day vacation? Before airfare? WTH? I can price out a stay for 2 at the Hotel Cheyenne Nov 8th-11th 2013 for that price. (Which includes breakfast!) Maybe that was for a party of 2? But if that was the solo price, yikes. So figure what, $2,500 with airfare for a party of 2? : (

Mad Stitch

$1,100 for a 4 day vacation? Before airfare? WTH? I can price out a stay for 2 at the Hotel Cheyenne Nov 8th-11th 2013 for that price. (Which includes breakfast!) Maybe that was for a party of 2? But if that was the solo price, yikes. So figure what, $2,500 with airfare for a party of 2? : (

I was running my own numbers last night. For that price it looks like you'd be staying at the Disneyland Hotel (or maybe the New York Hotel, it hard to tell), their most expensive options. On the cheap end of the spectrum, the same package at the Santa Fe is $540 before the race entry fee.

I have never liked that Disney includes your arrival and departure day in their ticket packages. I have never had a trip where it made sense to use a full day ticket on those days. And since I have never been to France I would add another full day for the parks and at least three days for Paris itself.

dreamfinder

I was running my own numbers last night. For that price it looks like you'd be staying at the Disneyland Hotel (or maybe the New York Hotel, it hard to tell), their most expensive options. On the cheap end of the spectrum, the same package at the Santa Fe is $540 before the race entry fee.

I have never liked that Disney includes your arrival and departure day in their ticket packages. I have never had a trip where it made sense to use a full day ticket on those days. And since I have never been to France I would add another full day for the parks and at least three days for Paris itself.

Well, that thought makes it seem slightly more palatable. But I agree, if I'm trekking halfway across the world, I would want time to explore and that package doesn't seem to offer it. Have to wait and see.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
I can see the EE Challenge going away. Every race weekend has a 5k after all. Since the Tough Mudder races are popular maybe they would replace it with something like that? Or maybe a Color Run?

Maybe they would do a full marathon in California? Or a west coast ToT run?

I've been wanting to go to the overseas parks, a Paris race would be very tempting.

A Color type run is interesting...could tie it with a "Wonderful World of Color" Concept..... I'm not sure at what distance you would hold it, or where it would start and end. You would really need a new route to spike interest as much as possible though.

Mad Stitch

You would really need a new route to spike interest as much as possible though.

That is a good point. No matter what races they come up with in the future some variety in the course would be nice since they all are either the first half or second half of the marathon, for the most part.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
That is a good point. No matter what races they come up with in the future some variety in the course would be nice since they all are either the first half or second half of the marathon, for the most part.
And please....please...no Osceola or WWoS. That's why I won't run the ToT Race...it's just boring.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
The course description sounds awesome. :inlove: The timeline means my teacher husband would never be able to make the trip...hmm, solo trip to Paris for me?! :D

If you need a travel buddy, I'll make the sacrifice...my hubby can't travel in the fall, either. ;) And I'd love another trip to Paris!

I can't run with you, but I could cheer you on!!

Ariel484

Original Poster
If you need a travel buddy, I'll make the sacrifice...my hubby can't travel in the fall, either. ;) And I'd love another trip to Paris!

I can't run with you, but I could cheer you on!!
How selfless of you! ;) Works for me!

Maybe that can be another Dream Girls/Magical Ladies destination (Les Dames Magiques?). :D

Texas84

Sooo, runDisney is now doing meet-ups in different cities. The Atlanta meet-up naturally reached capacity before anyone even knew about it. But that got me thinking: Is runDisney considering full-blown events in non-Disney cities and competing with Rock & Roll and other series? Now that would be something.

Mad Stitch

Sooo, runDisney is now doing meet-ups in different cities. The Atlanta meet-up naturally reached capacity before anyone even knew about it. But that got me thinking: Is runDisney considering full-blown events in non-Disney cities and competing with Rock & Roll and other series? Now that would be something.

I can't see that happening. The draw to Disney races for most people are running through the parks and photo ops with characters. Look at the Disneyland race, you don't see the characters on the streets of Anaheim. Unless Hobo Joe became a face character recently. So without those perks a runDisney race outside of WDW and DL would loose it's "magic" and be like any other race.

dreamfinder

I can't see that happening. The draw to Disney races for most people are running through the parks and photo ops with characters. Look at the Disneyland race, you don't see the characters on the streets of Anaheim. Unless Hobo Joe became a face character recently. So without those perks a runDisney race outside of WDW and DL would loose it's "magic" and be like any other race.

This. Rock N Roll schtick was having all the rock bands on course. runDisney's schtick is having characters, running through parks, and seeing backstage. Even if they schlep characters to the other sites, no parks or such would make it like any other race.

Texas84

Disagree. These meet and greets are being used as a test. A runDisney race in a non-park city would be a home run even with 'just' characters. Doesn't take much to load up a few semis with Disney stuff for the courses. There is no doubt in my mind that runners would show up. It would be an alternative for people who can't make it to the parks or get shut out of registration. Events like this are booming and it would be great publicity for the parks. Disney can't keep adding races to the parks. Too much disruption. And runDisney wants to grow the brand and they can't meet demand right now.

Ariel484

Original Poster
Disagree. These meet and greets are being used as a test. A runDisney race in a non-park city would be a home run even with 'just' characters. Doesn't take much to load up a few semis with Disney stuff for the courses. There is no doubt in my mind that runners would show up. It would be an alternative for people who can't make it to the parks or get shut out of registration. Events like this are booming and it would be great publicity for the parks. Disney can't keep adding races to the parks. Too much disruption. And runDisney wants to grow the brand and they can't meet demand right now.
Yeah, I mean...I agree that it won't hold as much appeal as running through the parks would but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't go to a runDisney event held in or near my city. :D

Mad Stitch

But outside the controlled environment of Disney property those characters would be mobbed by non-runners looking for pics. That's why I was saying you don't see the characters on the streets of Anaheim. And I'm sure Disney wouldn't want the characters pictured in the less than pristine settings that you find in any average city. Just imagine a pic with Tinkerbelle with a Kotex billboard in the background. I view these meetups as nothing more than a marketing ploy to raise awareness of the runDisney brand.

Texas84

But outside the controlled environment of Disney property those characters would be mobbed by non-runners looking for pics. That's why I was saying you don't see the characters on the streets of Anaheim. And I'm sure Disney wouldn't want the characters pictured in the less than pristine settings that you find in any average city. Just imagine a pic with Tinkerbelle with a Kotex billboard in the background. I view these meetups as nothing more than a marketing ploy to raise awareness of the runDisney brand.

Definitely good points. Now I'm going to have that Tinkerbelle pic in my head all day. :hilarious:

Texas84

Yeah, I mean...I agree that it won't hold as much appeal as running through the parks would but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't go to a runDisney event held in or near my city. :D

This. I would have even tried for that meet-up in Atlanta but you know how those work. I won't go there. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom