runDisney races - out with the old, in with the new?

dreamfinder

I think it's one of, if not THE, most over-priced race(s) Disney offers. I realize that the after-party ticket is part of the cost...

...but the Wine & Dine half also has an after-party, and the difference between the cost for that race and, for example, the WDW Half in January is $15. So in my mind it's like paying an extra $15 for the after-party, and that includes a $10 gift card. There's probably more CMs/volunteers on the course during the EE Challenge compared to other Disney 5K races that don't have obstacles, but still...

It doesn't matter, we all know it'll sell out anyway!

Didn't Everest use to include a park ticket in that cost, not just post race party? And a party ticket is only $59, so you end up paying $61 for the 5k, which is definitely a bit above the other 5ks. But is AK worth $59 for a few hours of a private party, especially if all the animals are asleep?

W&D makes beaucoup dollars from Food & Booze sales during that party. AK doesn't have the same money making infrastructure.

Ariel484

Original Poster
Star Wars Challenge. 10K and Half. Imagine the bling possibilities. Imagine the non-runners that sign up.
My brother is what I'd call a "casual" runner and when I told him I'd heard rumors of a Star Wars half he was just like "YOU CALL ME THE MINUTE THEY ANNOUNCE IT!!!!!" You're totally right that non-runners would be all over it.
Didn't Everest use to include a park ticket in that cost, not just post race party? And a party ticket is only $59, so you end up paying $61 for the 5k, which is definitely a bit above the other 5ks. But is AK worth $59 for a few hours of a private party, especially if all the animals are asleep?
I have no idea if it's ever included a park ticket. I guess I could accept the 5K portion alone costing $61 vs. the $50 for a "regular" WDW 5K just because 1. You have the obstacles, so there's a little more to it, and 2. You get a medal and a tech shirt vs. a medallion and a t-shirt. I still think the price is a little hard to swallow.

I guess it's worth it if you really like DINOSAUR, Everest or Kali River Rapids..
W&D makes beaucoup dollars from Food & Booze sales during that party. AK doesn't have the same money making infrastructure.
Ah yes, great point about the W&D party money...

dreamfinder

I have no idea if it's ever included a park ticket.

Answering my own question, snippet from the info from the 2008 race
REGISTRATION OPENS 2.15.08
ENTRY FEES & DEADLINES

$195 Team Registration

$100 Individual Registration

Each person that registers receives:

• 1-day/1-park Theme Park Ticket
  • Champion® Tech-Shirt
  • Admission to an Exclusive After-Hours Party at Disney's Animal Kingdom® Theme Park
  • Commemorative Inaugural Medal for all Finishers

Don't recall when they got rid of the ticket, but that used to be a good deal....

Mad Stitch

I did EE Challenge in 2011 and didn't get a 1-day/1-park ticket.

Are there real rumors of a Star Wars themed race? I thought it was a fanboy want and a lot of people just piled on.

Ariel484

Original Poster

Are there real rumors of a Star Wars themed race? I thought it was a fanboy want and a lot of people just piled on.
I'm not sure about REAL rumors. It sounds like a Paris race (in 2015 I guess), something new for WDW and something new for DL are the most concrete things at this point. Star Wars in WDW and something new for DL seem like obvious choices since you know both will sell out in 2.5 seconds.

I also have heard a rumor that the new races for WDW and DL will be FULL marathons...I definitely don't believe those ones.

Texas84

Yep, wishful thinking. The only rumors that have 'smoke' are the two new races and Paris.

Mad Stitch

Gosh how I would love a Death Star medal :jawdrop:
4150947-artproof.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom