runDisney races - out with the old, in with the new?

Mad Stitch

Now that Wine and Dine is over maybe we will get some official news on Everest soon. Last year registration opened on December 11. With a month to go we don't even have a date for the next one.

Ariel484

Original Poster
I had just convinced my non-running husband to do Everest with me in 2014, too. Go figure! Maybe he'll do a Star Wars 5k.
They had an Everest medal on display at the Wine & Dine half expo this weekend, so it might still be happening. :)

Mad Stitch

Expedition Everest Challenge is now scheduled for May 3, 2014. Registration opens December 17, 2013. It's still listed as a 5k and scavenger hunt, so I guess rumors about it turning into something else won't happen this year.

I'm still hoping for a Paris announcement. Am I the only one typing in disneyland-paris-half-marathon to the runDisney url thinking I might find a hidden page? :devilish:

Mad Stitch

All the better I guess. I really wanted to do W&D next, and a trip to Paris would have been expensive. If they ever do announce a Paris marathon I hope they give us a lot of time to save up and prepare for the trip.

LindsayLoves

Well they posted a teaser video featuring Tinkerbell saying that they will release news tomorrow on "What's Next" for runDisney... lots of interesting guesses including but not limited to Tinkerbell Full, Flower and Garden Half, Winter/Periwinkle themed race, Paris, a new Tinkerbell Challenge, Peter Pan Run, more Paris...

Maryssa*

Hopefully this means they will add a new race in the old slot? I can't imagine them having the only races here in hot weather...

Mad Stitch

Hopefully this means they will add a new race in the old slot? I can't imagine them having the only races here in hot weather...

I doubt it. It was probably done because it was too difficult to have marathon weekend and Tink within days of each other. But now this places Tink on the same weekend as EE Challenge. With the recent rumors I'd advise anyone interested in the EE Challenge to sign up for the 2014 race, it may be the last one.

dreamfinder

I doubt it. It was probably done because it was too difficult to have marathon weekend and Tink within days of each other.

Agreed. Logistical nightmare for runDisney, not to mention having to carry extra staff instead of just shipping them to the other coast.

Texas84

The runDisney rumors have gone silent. Last I could find was new races for DLR and WDW in 2014 and DLP has been pushed back to 2015. Just rumors.

Ariel484

Original Poster
I sure do hope they keep Everest... Shouldn't we find something out soon?
Yep, actually looked like registration opens on December 17 (see notice on this page):
http://www.rundisney.com/expedition-everest-challenge/

ETA: Registration link: http://www.active.com/framed/event_detail.cfm?CHECKSSO=0&EVENT_ID=2118522

So freaking expensive!!
Expedition Everest Challenge
Individual Registration

• $120 between December 17 – January 14, 2014
  • $135 between January 15 – February 18, 2014
  • $150 between February 19 – May 3, 2014

Team Registration

• $230 between December 17 – January 14, 2014
  • $255 between January 15 – February 18, 2014
  • $280 between February 19 – May 3, 2014

runDisney Kids Races (Ages 4-10)

• $20 December 17 – April 2, 2014
  • $25 between April 3 – May 3, 2014

Expedition Everest Challenge Family Edition

• $35 per person
  • Up to 6 people per team roster

Post-Race Party Tickets

Adults (Ages 10 and up):

• $49 between December 17 – April 2, 2014
  • $59 between April 3 – May 3, 2014

Children (Ages 3 - 9):

• $25 between December 17 – April 2, 2014
  • $30 between April 3 – May 3, 2014

Ariel484

Original Poster
$120 for a 5k? That's nuts!
I think it's one of, if not THE, most over-priced race(s) Disney offers. I realize that the after-party ticket is part of the cost...

...but the Wine & Dine half also has an after-party, and the difference between the cost for that race and, for example, the WDW Half in January is $15. So in my mind it's like paying an extra $15 for the after-party, and that includes a $10 gift card. There's probably more CMs/volunteers on the course during the EE Challenge compared to other Disney 5K races that don't have obstacles, but still...

It doesn't matter, we all know it'll sell out anyway!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom