RUMOR: Pirates of the Caribbean Replacing Peter Pan in “FANTASMIC 2.0” Show at Disneyland in 2017

D

Deleted member 107043

We also finally did get digital projectors last fall, which has immensely improved the quality of the mist screens. Other than that, its the same stale show that's been there since the late 90s.

To be fair DL's Fantasmic! is pretty long in the tooth as well. Other than the upgrade to the dragon, it's essentially been the same production since 1992.

SuddenStorm

These changes concern me. Most of Disney's night time entertainment since Fantasmic debuted has been amazing, but not as "special" IMO. For example, World of Color essentially plays movie clips to choreographed fountains. It's like watching a 20 minute trailer. Disneyland Fantasmic works. It fills up nightly, and is still spectacular. I believe it can be even better with new technology, but I don't believe the show needs major reworking.

Heck, many people believe that Disney hasn't been able to recreate Fantasmic with the same "Magic" in WDW and Tokyo. I'm sure what Disney has planned for the show will be awesome on a technical level, and the new projection mapping sounds amazing, but I don't know if I trust them to be able to improve the show with these changes.

PiratesMansion

^I honestly think that the changes will be fine as long as they're made intelligently. I'm most concerned about pacing: I haven't watched Tokyo's yet, but I watched WDW's for the first time recently via YouTube. I don't think any of the changes they made out there actually improved the show, but a few of them might have worked if the show wasn't so sluggish. Segments drag on and on so that they lose their power. My biggest hope is that they keep the pacing tight.

There is room for improvement, IMO. Most of my love for the show comes from the beginning, the Jungle section, and the princesses through the end. I tolerated Pink Elephants and Pinocchio. The Columbia section is great less because it's Peter Pan and more because it's some much-needed action in the show (I'm very excited about never having to hear "Mr. Crocodile, do you like Codfish??? YOU DOOOOO?!?!?!?!?" ever again).

I think they do need to be careful about changing the video clips so that it doesn't feel too much like WOC, and hopefully they will work hard to keep it from feeling redundant. I don't think anything from Princesses onward really NEEDS to be changed, but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt for now.

VJ

Ok so can we get anything on other changes to the show? We know Elsa and Jack Sparrow are in but who else?
Apparently, as per @GiveMeTheMusic , the show's development is very tight-lipped. I'm not sure if we'll be hearing much in the near future; but of course more will be confirmed by Disney as the show's premiere date (rumored to be July 4th weekend as per MiceChat, I believe) nears.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom