RUMOR: Pirates of the Caribbean Replacing Peter Pan in “FANTASMIC 2.0” Show at Disneyland in 2017

vancee

Original Poster
When Fantasmic returns to Disneyland in the Summer of 2017, the Pirates of the Caribbean will be joining the crew in what should be an entirely re-imagined version of the show internally being referred to as “Fantasmic 2.0”.

When Fantasmic returns to Disneyland Park in 2017, guests will find a number of upgrades to the show on the technical side. A brand new HD projection system, lighting upgrades, and a completely new sound system (which wasn’t replaced in the 2009 overhaul) are expected in the change-over.

In addition, the show will be sporting a few new segments, including one for Pirates of the Caribbean, which would replace the Peter Pan segment which has been in the show since it debuted in 1992. Using projection mapping technology, the plan will be to turn the Sailing Ship Columbia into the Black Pearl. The ship will host a large fight between Jack Sparrow’s crew and that of Captain Barbossa. Of course, The Columbia will be re-rigged for all new stunt work featuring Captain Jack Sparrow and his pirate friends. The truly amazing part (if true) is that the projection mapping technology will follow the ship around the river, also projecting onto the performers on the boat. This effect would allow performers to change in appearance, jumping between a skeleton and human form just like the characters in Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl.

Other new segments are expected to replace some of the older ones when Fantasmic! returns to Disneyland next year. Sadly, we have no solid information on these at this time. Work on the Sailing Ship Columbia to prepare it for these new show elements are already underway.

The new “Fantasmic 2.0” is expected to run nightly starting in early-Summer 2017. If our source is correct, it will continue to be a nightly, non-seasonal offering for at least a year through the end of 2018. There is no reasoning being given for the expanded schedule, but guest demand for a re-imagined show should be strong enough to warrant such an elongated performance season.

(Credit comes from a different website which doesn't allow me to link it)
---------

I am actually excited for this, if true... I love the Peter Pan scene but Pirates would make it amazing, with the new advanced technology that will supposedly be in show, I can't wait. Yes, the movie may not be animation but who cares? Let Disney do what they want without people bickering about it, Disney has a really smart team of Imagineers that will make sure it isn't a disaster (i hope).

GiveMeTheMusic

When Fantasmic returns to Disneyland in the Summer of 2017, the Pirates of the Caribbean will be joining the crew in what should be an entirely re-imagined version of the show internally being referred to as “Fantasmic 2.0”.

When Fantasmic returns to Disneyland Park in 2017, guests will find a number of upgrades to the show on the technical side. A brand new HD projection system, lighting upgrades, and a completely new sound system (which wasn’t replaced in the 2009 overhaul) are expected in the change-over.

In addition, the show will be sporting a few new segments, including one for Pirates of the Caribbean, which would replace the Peter Pan segment which has been in the show since it debuted in 1992. Using projection mapping technology, the plan will be to turn the Sailing Ship Columbia into the Black Pearl. The ship will host a large fight between Jack Sparrow’s crew and that of Captain Barbossa. Of course, The Columbia will be re-rigged for all new stunt work featuring Captain Jack Sparrow and his pirate friends. The truly amazing part (if true) is that the projection mapping technology will follow the ship around the river, also projecting onto the performers on the boat. This effect would allow performers to change in appearance, jumping between a skeleton and human form just like the characters in Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl.

Other new segments are expected to replace some of the older ones when Fantasmic! returns to Disneyland next year. Sadly, we have no solid information on these at this time. Work on the Sailing Ship Columbia to prepare it for these new show elements are already underway.

The new “Fantasmic 2.0” is expected to run nightly starting in early-Summer 2017. If our source is correct, it will continue to be a nightly, non-seasonal offering for at least a year through the end of 2018. There is no reasoning being given for the expanded schedule, but guest demand for a re-imagined show should be strong enough to warrant such an elongated performance season.

(Credit comes from a different website which doesn't allow me to link it)
---------

I am actually excited for this, if true... I love the Peter Pan scene but Pirates would make it amazing, with the new advanced technology that will supposedly be in show, I can't wait. Yes, the movie may not be animation but who cares? Let Disney do what they want without people bickering about it, Disney has a really smart team of Imagineers that will make sure it isn't a disaster (i hope).

It's true, and it should be spectacular.

Rich T

Yes, the movie may not be animation but who cares? Let Disney do what they want without people bickering about it, Disney has a really smart team of Imagineers that will make sure it isn't a disaster (i hope).
I'm sure it won't be a disaster, but I just hope that the whole show holds together stylistically. Personally, I think they're setting themselves up for premature obsolescence; Seriously, does anyone give a flying fig about Jack Sparrow anymore? It's not like the original Fantasmic was a flawless masterpiece of storytelling, but it worked on an emotional level.

Stevek

Doesn't bother me though I've always loved the Pan section. I guess they won't have to worry about storing the croc anymore.

Old Mouseketeer

The brilliance of the Pan/Hook sequence was that the choreography had stunts taking place all the way around the curve of TSI so no matter where you were watching, there was something dramatic to see. It was my favorite segment. I hope they match that, technology notwithstanding.

As for the other technology upgrades, this is an ongoing thing. My rebel spies report seeing pieces of Murphy backstage on pallets being sent for refurb. It will be interesting to see what they add.

kap91

The tech for that does exist but I don't think it's ever been used on such a massive scale. That would be really cool. I'd miss the pan segment but honestly not that much, it's probably one of the easiest to swap out too.

Rich T

The same could be said for Pan and Hook.
Disagree. Well, I don't disagree that one can *say* it, but... The Peter Pan story has been touching people's hearts since about 1904, and will probably be around as long as humans exist. The Disney version is one of the studio's most memorable and iconic films and its themes and characters have been a huge part of DL since before the park opened. If Jack Sparrow has that kind of legacy fifty years from now, I'll be... Well, I'll be dead, but IF I were alive, I'd be quite impressed.

Hey, the new Fantasmic might be wonderful and I hope the new ship scene is spectacular. But Sparrow is no Pan, Barbosa is no Hook, and an undead monkey is no Tinker Bell. Um...okay I *would* kinda like to see an undead monkey fly off the top of the Matterhorn...

Californian Elitist

Disagree. Well, I don't disagree that one can *say* it, but... The Peter Pan story has been touching people's hearts since about 1904, and will probably be around as long as humans exist. The Disney version is one of the studio's most memorable and iconic films and its themes and characters have been a huge part of DL since before the park opened. If Jack Sparrow has that kind of legacy fifty years from now, I'll be... Well, I'll be dead, but IF I were alive, I'd be quite impressed.

Hey, the new Fantasmic might be wonderful and I hope the new ship scene is spectacular. But Sparrow is no Pan, Barbosa is no Hook, and an undead monkey is no Tinker Bell. Um...okay I *would* kinda like to see an undead monkey fly off the top of the Matterhorn...

This. The story of Peter Pan, like its titular character, doesn't age and will always be popular amongst people. The story has been told and re-told multiple times. People haven't gotten tired of it.

While this new idea sounds cool, I will miss Pan. Peter Pan is my favorite.

brb1006

I wonder once Fantasmic returns they will finally give Mickey a new head that is also accelerated for the first time and being voiced by Bret Iwan?

vancee

Original Poster
I wonder once Fantasmic returns they will finally give Mickey a new head that is also accelerated for the first time and being voiced by Bret Iwan?
I heard sorcerer mickey is getting a costume upgrade to:
ab464ff358b738e416dfdbf58f182e8d.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom