Rude CMs

beertiki

Original Poster
But, MY VACATION WAS RUINED!!!

I really hate to say I was entitled, but I was. Money was exchanged for a chance to win a prize, I only got 2/5 of my chances. It was really not as much about my chances, as it was the CMs DILLIGAF response. Now, my wife will keep me in check when needed, but both she and my daughter thought the CM was rude.

The tape woman did not need to yell in my face. I was separated from my wife and stepped out of the store to see if she was outside. The CM incorrectly assumed I was watching the parade from the wrong side of the tape. It was just a quick, less than 5 second look up both sides of the side walk. Now, she could have politely asked me to please move, but instead she was barking orders at me like I was a kid. I am sure every married man on here knows at some point in his Disney vacation he will be standing somewhere scanning the crowd looking for his spouse. We all also know that when we find her, she will always ask "Where did you go?" Not the best time to yell at me.

I think we made 5 trips to Disney last year, and booked again on the way home. Bounce back code was good. Never before have I ever thought about CM was rude, or disrespectful. It has always been better than perfect, 110%, more helpfully than expected, and my behavior towards them has been just as respectful. Those two interactions were the only two in 20 years that I can remember feeling as if they were rude. I guess I am just used to being treated with more respect.

danyoung56

Seems to me this is a case where both CMs probably were correct, but their attitude was wrong. Crowd Control CMs have a tendency to be a bit loud. It's hard to blame them - after telling the 58th person in the past 5 minutes to "get on the other side of the tape", it starts to get a little tense. But the CM needs to understand that I'm not the other 58 people, and standing on the wrong side of the tape is not a good reason to get yelled at.

Last edited:

KBLovedDisney

The first time I experienced a rude CM encounter was last April when my hubby and I went to try out CRT for the first time. Walked up to the hostess counter, and was telling her our reservations. She paused, looked up at the both of us and said the following: "Oh, two adults. That's surprising." while making the roll-the-eyes gesture more than apparent and loudly sighing. That didn't sit too well with me.

(Don't think she was having a good day to begin with. It happens, even in Disney)

donsullivan

Premium Member
But, MY VACATION WAS RUINED!!!

I really hate to say I was entitled, but I was. Money was exchanged for a chance to win a prize, I only got 2/5 of my chances. It was really not as much about my chances, as it was the CMs DILLIGAF response. Now, my wife will keep me in check when needed, but both she and my daughter thought the CM was rude.

The tape woman did not need to yell in my face. I was separated from my wife and stepped out of the store to see if she was outside. The CM incorrectly assumed I was watching the parade from the wrong side of the tape. It was just a quick, less than 5 second look up both sides of the side walk. Now, she could have politely asked me to please move, but instead she was barking orders at me like I was a kid. I am sure every married man on here knows at some point in his Disney vacation he will be standing somewhere scanning the crowd looking for his spouse. We all also know that when we find her, she will always ask "Where did you go?" Not the best time to yell at me.

I think we made 5 trips to Disney last year, and booked again on the way home. Bounce back code was good. Never before have I ever thought about CM was rude, or disrespectful. It has always been better than perfect, 110%, more helpfully than expected, and my behavior towards them has been just as respectful. Those two interactions were the only two in 20 years that I can remember feeling as if they were rude. I guess I am just used to being treated with more respect.

The tape boundary for the parades is there for safety reasons and every Parade CM is instructed that guests may not violate those boundaries due to safety. It doesn't matter that you think it's 'no big deal' for your brief infraction. The safety of the guests and the performers in the parade is the number one concern in this, and when you did not follow instructions, the CM was forced to raise her voice in order to get you to follow those instructions. I'm sorry, but that is the height of entitlement.

Guests darting into the parade route (the reason is 100% irrelevant) put themselves and the performers in the parade at risk of injury. I have seen others with the same entitled attitude dart across the parade route in the middle of the parade because they MUST get to the other side of MSUSA immediately. It caused a complete e-stop of the parade in the middle including locking down motion on all the floats, and performers. Did you ever wonder what those buttons are on the corners of the floats? Those are emergency stop/start buttons that had to be added to deal with conditions like this (also triggered by an unfortunate tragedy backstage a few years ago). Clearing all the safety checks and restarting everything takes forever when that happens but is done out of an abundance of caution for the safety for guests and performers. The float driver cannot see every area of the roadway and the CM's keeping EVERYONE off the designated, marked parade route is key to everyone's safety. The number of times people take this entitle approach during each and every parade is why the CM's are forced to get aggressive in their notifications. Safety is the number one goal, and you were compromising safety.

rob0519

If one the balls that won a grand prize was yours then not sure why you would be mad. If it was not then I can see the argument.

Actually, the argument is valid, unless there is a sign indicating only 1 "Large Prize" per transaction or something to that effect.
If I pay for 5 chances (balls in this case) to win the "Large Prize", I should, in theory, be able to attempt to win 5 "Large Prizes". It's a highly unlikely outcome based on the designs of carnival games, but I paid for the right to try.

If I have two kids and win the "Large Prize" on the first try, you can bet the other kid will be hoping they get one too.

While I'm sure the cast members are instructed NOT to remove any winning balls before the next are tossed, I think it is still the right thing to do.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
The tape boundary for the parades is there for safety reasons and every Parade CM is instructed that guests may not violate those boundaries due to safety. It doesn't matter that you think it's 'no big deal' for your brief infraction. The safety of the guests and the performers in the parade is the number one concern in this, and when you did not follow instructions, the CM was forced to raise her voice in order to get you to follow those instructions. I'm sorry, but that is the height of entitlement.

Guests darting into the parade route (the reason is 100% irrelevant) put themselves and the performers in the parade at risk of injury. I have seen others with the same entitled attitude dart across the parade route in the middle of the parade because they MUST get to the other side of MSUSA immediately. It caused a complete e-stop of the parade in the middle including locking down motion on all the floats, and performers. Did you ever wonder what those buttons are on the corners of the floats? Those are emergency stop/start buttons that had to be added to deal with conditions like this (also triggered by an unfortunate tragedy backstage a few years ago). Clearing all the safety checks and restarting everything takes forever when that happens but is done out of an abundance of caution for the safety for guests and performers. The float driver cannot see every area of the roadway and the CM's keeping EVERYONE off the designated, marked parade route is key to everyone's safety. The number of times people take this entitle approach during each and every parade is why the CM's are forced to get aggressive in their notifications. Safety is the number one goal, and you were compromising safety.

Nothing to mention fire code regulations for unrestricted pathways. Those tapes aren't laid down right at a store's entrance on the sidewalk in order to provide a pathway for folks not watching the parade to walk around...or in my case, get the heck out of the MK before the parade ends...

I witnessed parade CMs repeatedly tell people sitting on the curb to pull back their feet. Be grateful I'm not a parade CM...because if I had to constantly tell someone sitting on the curb to pull their feet back, the last time would be a swat with a stick, like the nuns used to do to your knuckles.....

beertiki

Original Poster
My vacation was not ruined. I figured if I typed that in all caps, some might see it as sarcasm.

As far as balls. My daughter had her own set of balls for $5. Now I would never be so petty as to expect to win twice from the same set, but as someone who paid separately, I expect my chance.

The tape is not for safety, it's crowd control, to keep side walk traffic moving. I just stepped out of the store to look for my wife. The CM yelled at me from 3 feet away like I was 30 feet.

I don't need to grow another set of balls, my are fine, they live in my wife's purse. I did mention that she keeps me in check. Balls are not necessary at disney, at least that has been my experience of the last 20 years. I have needed them on the way home though.

jaklgreen

The first time I experienced a rude CM encounter was last April when my hubby and I went to try out CRT for the first time. Walked up to the hostess counter, and was telling her our reservations. She paused, looked up at the both of us and said the following: "Oh, two adults. That's surprising." while making the roll-the-eyes gesture more than apparent and loudly sighing. That didn't sit too well with me.

(Don't think she was having a good day to begin with. It happens, even in Disney)

Well that was very rude. Many years ago before we had kids, hubby and I ate there no problem. Back then there were plenty of couples without children. It was and expensive meal with "fancier" food and most did not take their kids to eat there.

jaklgreen

As far as balls. My daughter had her own set of balls for $5. Now I would never be so petty as to expect to win twice from the same set, but as someone who paid separately, I expect my chance.

I am with you on this. If someone with a different transaction hit the "grand prize" then they should remove it to let the others have the same chance. If the person who won it still had ball to throw and they don't want them to win twice, then they should finish their balls out while everyone waits, all of the spots cleared out and then everyone resume their game. No reason for the cast member not to handle it this way. Congratulations to your daughter on winning the big prize and then having the joy all over again of giving it to another child. Good job!

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Well that was very rude. Many years ago before we had kids, hubby and I ate there no problem. Back then there were plenty of couples without children. It was and expensive meal with "fancier" food and most did not take their kids to eat there.

My daughter and I have eaten there three times - no one could ever accuse either one of us of being a kid. Never got that response from any CMs - maybe because all three visits were birthday celebrations. The photopass photographer was another story - the one our last visit was extremely rude. She almost got to the point of hostility with the family in line before us getting their pictures. Yeah, I get it, it's stressful hearding clueless people around to get a quick photo, but geez, take a deep breath before you snap and yell to the family, "this ain't the DMV!" The look on the mom's face I won't forget - and I hope it wasn't in their photo. When it was our turn, I gave the photographer one of my mom's best disapproving looks - she had no clue...:rolleyes:

parkhopper1213

I've encountered rude CM's and rude guests. Can't do much about rude guests because they are "entitled" to act any way they want. If I encountered a rude CM, I would talk to guest services. I try to remember where we were and the CM's name.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom