RnRC New Theme Discussion

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
Not happening. This would be money that would not bring any more merch without substantial money spent.

and for all the jokes DHS gets, this would be an actual major advertised attraction down with the other attractions that are already closed.

Not to mention budgetary.
How does that differ from Guardians of the Tower other than the fact that the latter would give everyone on these boards colitis?

You think they wouldn't close RnRC for 6 months when they closed the Studio Backlot Tour 18 months earlier than necessary?

celluloid

Not after Back-lot Tour, Restaurants, an entire street, a playground, over three thousand entertainment venue have the guests wandering around and wondering what to do and Fastpass waits are higher than ever.

If someone thinks that RnR at this point, with all the other attractions closed, is of equivalent importance to what the Backlot Tour was at the time of its closure, and that there is budget left over after Star Wars and Toy Story currently on the plate for that same park, Than you have already made up your mind on this wish.

Luxe

This gets me way more excited then the horrible ToT rumors, even though I agree with Martin that a new dedicated attraction would be a better option in the long haul. Seems a little short sighted to me.

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
Not after Back-lot Tour, Restaurants, an entire street, a playground, over three thousand entertainment venue have the guests wandering around and wondering what to do and Fastpass waits are higher than ever.

If someone thinks that RnR at this point, with all the other attractions closed, is of equivalent importance to what the Backlot Tour was at the time of its closure, and that there is budget left over after Star Wars and Toy Story currently on the plate for that same park, Than you have already made up your mind on this wish.
Where my mind rests on this doesn't matter. It is where the collective minds of management rests. Many of the same folks who decided to close Soarin' while Froztrom was still closed. They care little for guest experience right now and more for perceived savings. If they can save on staffing for 6 months and have a marketable "new" ride by Summer 2017, a year out from Toy Story Land, they will.

The guest response to Guardians of the Tower at WDW was quite clear. Disney has never received such a widespread angry response to a proposed project. This would be a cheaper and more convincing refurbishment that wouldn't get the fans' blood boiling. A bit of new paint, some new props in the ride building, and Star-Lord's Walkman instead of the guitar out front and they are ready to roll.

twebber55

So I received a rumor and have the go-ahead to share. I know most of us were quite disturbed by a plan to convert ToT over to a Guardians of the Galaxy theme.

I received word that for DHS anyway, one possible plan would be a much more logical retrofit of RnRC. With rumors of an Aerosmith farewell tour in 2017, the time is ideal for a remodel where guests hear some of Star-Lord's mixtape as they whiz through (static) scenes from the film.

To me, this is a much more reasonable idea that could easily be overlayed in 6 months or less.

Thoughts?
like it a lot

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
Thankfully right now there is a real worry about DHS capacity now and in the near future.
Hopefully that is enough to prevent any layovers.

I was just sharing the rumor.

Perhaps in this case, worries over capacity in the park mixed with unease among management toward spending any money will save us from a layover. I was merely stating that if I had to choose my poison, I would take this any day over destroying my beloved Tower.

CaptainAmerica

Thankfully right now there is a real worry about DHS capacity now and in the near future.
Why? Are people actually going there?

Regarding RnRc, what year is Guardians set in again? The 1930s?
Serious question? It's set in the present day. The soundtrack is from the 1970s and 1980s, which is when the main character left earth. He's been in space ever since his childhood, so his cultural references are all from that time period even though it's present day.

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
Serious question? It's set in the present day. The soundtrack is from the 1970s and 1980s, which is when the main character left earth. He's been in space ever since his childhood, so his cultural references are all from that time period even though it's present day.
You mean when "Sweet Emotion" was released?

If we are being fair, RnRC was always designed to allow for a relatively quick changeover to more relevant source material over time. It is not like Tower of Terror, which was designed with The Twilight Zone in mind (in its constructed form). We are talking about an OTS coaster in a box with on-ride audio that just happens to play Aerosmith music right now. It could just as easily play Maroon 5 (with similar issues involving extremely sexual lyrics).

yellowrocket

You mean when "Sweet Emotion" was released?

If we are being fair, RnRC was always designed to allow for a relatively quick changeover to more relevant source material over time. It is not like Tower of Terror, which was designed with The Twilight Zone in mind (in its constructed form).

When you think about it, only Sunset Boulevard exists in the 1930's. The events that guests experience at the Hollywood Tower Hotel take place outside that timeframe, sometime after 1939 when the hotel has been left abandoned. "The time is now on an evening very much like the one we have just witnessed." - maybe in the 1960's when the Twilight Zone was on television?

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
When you think about it, only Sunset Boulevard exists in the 1930's. The events that guests experience at the Hollywood Tower Hotel take place outside that timeframe, sometime after 1939 when the hotel has been left abandoned. "The time is now on an evening very much like the one we have just witnessed." - maybe in the 1960's when the Twilight Zone was on television?
Yes. "The time is now, on an evening very much like the one we have just witnessed..."

The only way Sunset Blvd. works is if we imagine that it is a Hollywood movie set that LOOKS like it was in the 1930s. Otherwise, it makes no sense. And it was built for Tower of Terror, a dilapidated ruin of a hotel that was struck by lightning over 75 years ago.

celluloid

Where my mind rests on this doesn't matter. It is where the collective minds of management rests. Many of the same folks who decided to close Soarin' while Froztrom was still closed. They care little for guest experience right now and more for perceived savings. If they can save on staffing for 6 months and have a marketable "new" ride by Summer 2017, a year out from Toy Story Land, they will.

The guest response to Guardians of the Tower at WDW was quite clear. Disney has never received such a widespread angry response to a proposed project. This would be a cheaper and more convincing refurbishment that wouldn't get the fans' blood boiling. A bit of new paint, some new props in the ride building, and Star-Lord's Walkman instead of the guitar out front and they are ready to roll.

This is true, and exactly my point. You stated that this would be a six month closure. They can't even change a 3D film and concept art on the walls in under a month.

But again, the bigger picture. Budget. So much money being rushed around and so much closed.

Mike S

image.jpeg

Yes. "The time is now, on an evening very much like the one we have just witnessed..."

The only way Sunset Blvd. works is if we imagine that it is a Hollywood movie set that LOOKS like it was in the 1930s. Otherwise, it makes no sense. And it was built for Tower of Terror, a dilapidated ruin of a hotel that was struck by lightning over 75 years ago.
I just see it as us visiting this old area of a Hollywood that never was in the present day. Works fine for me.

stretchsje

There's a worrying trend materialising about "overlays" as opposed to new build.
Could this due to the reorganization of managers and executives so that they are now overseeing geographic areas rather than categories of product? That happened in January. I can think of many possible trickle-down effects of this shakeup and a trend of cheap refreshes (ie, competing for more of the budget) would be among them.

Last edited:

wdwgreek

I would much much much prefer this outcome. Rockin'g roller coaster has never been a perfect fit on the street, using Starlords soundtrack Si an easy overlay and does not change the fact the attraction is a sore thumb in the 40's era sunset boulevard, as it is now it is equally intrusive and equally contradicting to the time period, but as far as attraction over lays this is a pretty good one.

CaptainAmerica

Could this due to the reorganization of managers and executives so that they are now overseeing geographic areas rather than categories of product? That happened in January. I can think of many possible trickle-down effects of this shakeup and a trend of cheap overlays would be among them.
I doubt capital decisions like this fall under their purview.

stretchsje

I doubt capital decisions like this fall under their purview.
The decisions, no. Proposals, though? That should be in their purview which might be why @marni1971 has heard of so many proposed ideas. They're originating from more numerous sources than before, more bottom-up than top-down. I bet they compete for budget and resources, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The decisions, no. Proposals, though? That should be in their purview which might be why @marni1971 has heard of so many proposed ideas. They're originating from more numerous sources than before, more bottom-up than top-down. I bet they compete for budget and resources, which is not necessarily a bad thing.
What I've heard I believe to be from high up as a fast and cheap way to squeeze newer IPs into parks and attractions not designed for them.

Cesar R M

Or they could build a purpose built new attraction. Do it the right way.

Radical.
I wonder how long until Disney management brings the torches and crucify you for these radical and heretic ideas!
:hilarious:

View attachment 137397

I just see it as us visiting this old area of a Hollywood that never was in the present day. Works fine for me.
I just hope TDO doesn't pull a billy mays with a doze of James Doakes 's surprise mother....

but_wait_theres_more.jpg

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom