RnRC New Theme Discussion

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
So I received a rumor and have the go-ahead to share. I know most of us were quite disturbed by a plan to convert ToT over to a Guardians of the Galaxy theme.

I received word that for DHS anyway, one possible plan would be a much more logical retrofit of RnRC. With rumors of an Aerosmith farewell tour in 2017, the time is ideal for a remodel where guests hear some of Star-Lord's mixtape as they whiz through (static) scenes from the film.

To me, this is a much more reasonable idea that could easily be overlayed in 6 months or less.

Thoughts?

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
RnR and ToT are in no need of any changes - both are hugely popular and successful. For me the time and money would be far better spent elsewhere.
I think the problem with Aerosmith is that it's set in the present and based on nonfiction "characters." We know that Steven Tyler is a real person and he's 68 years old, not 50 (wow, that ride is almost 20 years old!?). It's the most obvious and literal way an attraction can "age" and become dated. Conversely, Starlord or Jack Sparrow never need to age, even if Chris Pratt and Johnny Depp do.

mikeh

RnR and ToT are in no need of any changes - both are hugely popular and successful. For me the time and money would be far better spent elsewhere.

The Star Wars musical overlay was fun on RnRC, the problem (if you want Star Wars there) is that RnRC is plenty fun as is.

MrHappy

This would be great. It felt a little awkward in the "Studio" with the dated lingo and styles. The ride is great, but needed a refresh anyway. My only question/concern is: will Disney now look to develop Hollywood Blvd into Marvel Blvd, which will keep ToT on the clock? Or will they develop a new area next to (opposite side of ToT) RnRC for a Marvel Land? Posts here suggest Disney wants to exploit their Marvel connection the most they possible can.

doctornick

I tend to agree with the general sentiment -- I'm always a huge proponent of "build new" not "replace" when it comes to allocating resources for WDW -- I do think that RnR shows its age and it kinda out of place. In an ideal makeover for the park, I'd like to see RnR changed and the area around it become a new land (and connected to Animation Courtyard) so I'd be fine with this idea if it is part of a grander plan, not just only a one off to get GotG in the part quickly.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
My only question/concern is: will Disney now look to develop Hollywood Blvd into Marvel Blvd, which will keep ToT on the clock? Or will they develop a new area next to (opposite side of ToT) RnRC for a Marvel Land? Posts here suggest Disney wants to exploit their Marvel connection the most they possible can.
Unlikely. Guardians is (pretty much) the only Marvel thing Disney can use in Florida, so the risk of a full-blown land is very small.

doctornick

Unlikely. Guardians is (pretty much) the only Marvel thing Disney can use in Florida, so the risk of a full-blown land is very small.

Well, they could use Big Hero 6 as well. But I agree with your point -- in fact, they couldn't use the name "Marvel" at all, so it would defeat the point of a land themed to Marvel stuff.

I think more realistically would be some sort of "action" or "adventure" or "hero" themed land that featured GotG among other potential options.

BrianLo

So I received a rumor and have the go-ahead to share. I know most of us were quite disturbed by a plan to convert ToT over to a Guardians of the Galaxy theme.

I received word that for DHS anyway, one possible plan would be a much more logical retrofit of RnRC. With rumors of an Aerosmith farewell tour in 2017, the time is ideal for a remodel where guests hear some of Star-Lord's mixtape as they whiz through (static) scenes from the film.

To me, this is a much more reasonable idea that could easily be overlayed in 6 months or less.

Thoughts?

On a scale of 0 to ToT for bad decisions, I think we can all agree this falls much closer to 0.

It might even make for a better attraction at the end of the day.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Or they could build a purpose built new attraction. Do it the right way.

Radical.
More to the substance of your point, I think it's obvious that RnRC needs an update. I don't think the either/or is as black and white as you paint it. I might even argue that spending money on something new while something old goes stale would be creatively negligent.

Note: I'm apply this to RnRC only, definitely not Tower.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom