RFID Cup question

yedliW

It will be good for your whole stay. When you collect it, let them know you are staying for 3 weeks. It should then be good for the whole time. Keep the receipt and if you have any problems into week 3, the cms will be able to extend it for you.

I've read this several times, but have never stayed longer than a week.. but you'd think if they could extend it beyond the default 14 days. they could re-activate one a year later for your next trip.. It's not like there is a battery that dies in there.. it was probably a deliberate business decision to not employ this in an attempt to make you buy another one next year too..

It would be interesting to know what percentage of people get them only because they are on a dining plan vs paying cash for one..For me it doesn't seem worth it to pay that much for a mug that is limited to use at the resorts.. but we don't spend a ton of time at the resorts anyway.. If they were bigger (16-24 oz) or had a place at the parks (maybe only one or 2 places per park), it might be a better value.. but I don't see us every getting one we don't go on the dining plan..

Goofyernmost

I've read this several times, but have never stayed longer than a week.. but you'd think if they could extend it beyond the default 14 days. they could re-activate one a year later for your next trip.. It's not like there is a battery that dies in there.. it was probably a deliberate business decision to not employ this in an attempt to make you buy another one next year too..

It would be interesting to know what percentage of people get them only because they are on a dining plan vs paying cash for one..For me it doesn't seem worth it to pay that much for a mug that is limited to use at the resorts.. but we don't spend a ton of time at the resorts anyway.. If they were bigger (16-24 oz) or had a place at the parks (maybe only one or 2 places per park), it might be a better value.. but I don't see us every getting one we don't go on the dining plan..
Of course, it's a deliberate business decision to make you buy another one next year. They are in business for that purpose. There isn't a single sign on property that tries to convince anyone that they are a charity. Why do people always seem to expect Disney to give things away forever. Would you go to a clothing store and expect them to give you clothes because you brought a belt with you? Would McDonalds give you a burger because you brought a old wrapper in with you? Your purchase of a cup is for a one time trip. If you want to keep them and use them at home, fine, they belong to you, however, The money that they charge is basically for the cup. Bringing an old one would eliminate that income or they would charge you the same thing even if you brought your old cup with you.

yedliW

Of course, it's a deliberate business decision to make you buy another one next year. They are in business for that purpose. There isn't a single sign on property that tries to convince anyone that they are a charity. Why do people always seem to expect Disney to give things away forever. Would you go to a clothing store and expect them to give you clothes because you brought a belt with you? Would McDonalds give you a burger because you brought a old wrapper in with you? Your purchase of a cup is for a one time trip. If you want to keep them and use them at home, fine, they belong to you, however, The money that they charge is basically for the cup. Bringing an old one would eliminate that income or they would charge you the same thing even if you brought your old cup with you.

I'm not saying you should be able to use it for free next year.. but if there was an option to buy a new 'licence' for the new year. It is a win-win.. Disney makes more money for basically nothing (the cup and ice often cost more than the actual soda that goes in it) and the rest of us don't end up with a cupboard full of mugs.

The Mighty Tim

I'd be happy with bringing a mug from a previous trip and paying the same amount as a new cup to get it reactivated.

Disney get my money, I don't end up with a cupboard full of mugs, everyone's a winner!

Goofyernmost

I'd be happy with bringing a mug from a previous trip and paying the same amount as a new cup to get it reactivated.

Disney get my money, I don't end up with a cupboard full of mugs, everyone's a winner!
Most of us would think that to be a rip-off. But, if you want to go throw the trouble of hauling your cups from home, pay the same as if you got a new cup, then I'm sure if you talk to the right person they will let you. (Maybe not, but, it's because they would think that you were crazy. It isn't that much of a great deal the way it currently is.) If you have two many cups you can always, oh, I don't know... Throw them away or maybe give them away?

nickys

Premium Member

Re: your first point... when you collect your cup you scan your band. The band will read your reservations and therefore know your last day and program cup accordingly. The " keep your receipt" bit is the advice they give you, just in case it doesn't work. Never seen it not work though, so maybe they don't actually reprogram it, maybe they just give you a new cup...?

Re: 2nd point. As we come from uk, we do buy the cups. At a little more than a dollar a day for a 2 week stay, it's definitely worth it! It's a no-brainer for us , even we only get one drink a day.

DMDJ232

It will be good for your whole stay. When you collect it, let them know you are staying for 3 weeks. It should then be good for the whole time. Keep the receipt and if you have any problems into week 3, the cms will be able to extend it for you.
OK, Great! Thanks!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom