RFID Cup question

Cmdr_Crimson

Interestingly Universal has an RFID Cup used within their parks for the Coke Freestyle machines...Now the convenient thing is the mug can be reused at the parks...All they do is put on the charger and re-activate it for $6 per day...Shame they haven't utilized that..

andrelaplume

Original Poster
I REALLY missed the handles this past trip....just assumed it cost less to manufacture without them...WDW has figured out every way to make a buck!
BTW...my old one w/handle fits in my car cup holder fine.

somewhere out there is a young hacker yet to hack this RFID thing!

(then again, if I stay at OKW again I might as well forgo the cups there...not worth a 5 minute drive or 20 minute walk to fill the sucker!)

thomas998

You can't don't even bother. Lol
Actually you could.... you would only have to remove or reprogram the existing RFID chip with one containing a valid number... of course to do that you would be spending a lot of money and then have to walk around looking for someone with an active mug that you could scan to get their number to use on your mug... But really you could do it... but it would cost you more than your family will spend on a single days ticket so the only question is whether you think it is worth it?

andrelaplume

Original Poster
It's very difficult to carry 6 cups to the food court and back without handles.
I am sure that had nothing to do with their removal....less trips to the sofa machine...Ha! I hear 2018 cups will only hold 2 ounces to help with splills...Ha! Look...If they can squeeze a buck they will....And attendance is good so if we want to go I guess we suck it up. I had the opportunity to stay at OKW for $100 a night. We usually stay at the mods. Initially I did not like it because bus service was bad and the food choices were horrible compared to mods. But soon we found the freedom of using a car and dining cheaper or bringing stuff back to room. If I can past that stuff I can forgo the mug and bring a case of soda to my room... in fact I am no.longer sure an on-site stay is worth the extra $$$. Much less he might!

thomas998

I am sure that had nothing to do with their removal....less trips to the sofa machine...Ha! I hear 2018 cups will only hold 2 ounces to help with splills...Ha! Look...If they can squeeze a buck they will....And attendance is good so if we want to go I guess we suck it up. I had the opportunity to stay at OKW for $100 a night. We usually stay at the mods. Initially I did not like it because bus service was bad and the food choices were horrible compared to mods. But soon we found the freedom of using a car and dining cheaper or bringing stuff back to room. If I can past that stuff I can forgo the mug and bring a case of soda to my room... in fact I am no.longer sure an on-site stay is worth the extra $$$. Much less he might!

Unless you put a huge value on being able to select fastpasses sooner or getting the random extra magic hour, it is really difficult to justify the rate they charge at any of their resorts... Higher prices, worse service and a more crowded park... Why exactly do people do it?

Polydweller

Actually you could.... you would only have to remove or reprogram the existing RFID chip with one containing a valid number... of course to do that you would be spending a lot of money and then have to walk around looking for someone with an active mug that you could scan to get their number to use on your mug... But really you could do it... but it would cost you more than your family will spend on a single days ticket so the only question is whether you think it is worth it?
Not really. RFID chips are 1 of 3 types, read only, read/write, or write once read many. Read only is exactly that, it can't be rewritten/reprogrammed. Read/write has a unique serial number that cannot be overwritten so if that number isn't in the company's database it can't be used. And write once cannot only be written to once and a unique serial number that can't be overwritten. So, no there is no way to reprogram the rfid chip in these cups.

thomas998

Not really. RFID chips are 1 of 3 types, read only, read/write, or write once read many. Read only is exactly that, it can't be rewritten/reprogrammed. Read/write has a unique serial number that cannot be overwritten so if that number isn't in the company's database it can't be used. And write once cannot only be written to once and a unique serial number that can't be overwritten. So, no there is no way to reprogram the rfid chip in these cups.

You missed my point... I'm not saying you need to reprogram the Disney chip, just get the number of an active chip from someone else's Disney mug and then program that number into a chip you would place on your mug. So the only read write chip you need to have is the one you are going to stick on your mug. First step would be removing the chip on your mug or just killing it...then sticking on a new one you could program. So I'm not sure why you think it matters whether the Disney chip is read or write because your goal would be to get rid of it completely.

Goofyernmost

You missed my point... I'm not saying you need to reprogram the Disney chip, just get the number of an active chip from someone else's Disney mug and then program that number into a chip you would place on your mug. So the only read write chip you need to have is the one you are going to stick on your mug. First step would be removing the chip on your mug or just killing it...then sticking on a new one you could program. So I'm not sure why you think it matters whether the Disney chip is read or write because your goal would be to get rid of it completely.
All that for a free freaking soda. Some people have way to much free time and, from what I see here, cannot afford to go to Disney. Stay home and get soda from Walmart... You'll save a lot that way.;)

disney4life2008

All that for a free freaking soda. Some people have way to much free time and, from what I see here, cannot afford to go to Disney. Stay home and get soda from Walmart... You'll save a lot that way.;)

Have you seen the lengths people will go to? Before they introduced the new MBs, people were pulling them apart to make watches. I do not see anything wrong with the OP question. I agree, it is ridiculous that you cannot reuse the cup.

thomas998

Clearly you aren't actually following the thread very closely if you had then you would have picked up on the caveat that while you could do it it would cost your more than a one day ticket for the whole family... I'm all for snide comments, but when you make them at least make sure they don't show that you weren't even paying attention to begin with.

Goofyernmost

All that for a free freaking soda. Some people have way to much free time and, from what I see here, cannot afford to go to Disney. Stay home and get soda from Walmart... You'll save a lot that way.;)<<<<<
I think you are
taking this a bit too seriously...lol
Clearly you aren't actually following the thread very closely if you had then you would have picked up on the caveat that while you could do it it would cost your more than a one day ticket for the whole family... I'm all for snide comments, but when you make them at least make sure they don't show that you weren't even paying attention to begin with.
So I'm clearly not actually following the thread very closely, yet, I post a snarky, clearly sarcastic response followed by an Emo. with a wink and I'm the one taking this discussion too seriously. OK, I'll try to be more careful. That said, you are correct that there is absolutely no reason why I would have followed this discussion to closely, so sue me!

Goofyernmost

Have you seen the lengths people will go to? Before they introduced the new MBs, people were pulling them apart to make watches. I do not see anything wrong with the OP question. I agree, it is ridiculous that you cannot reuse the cup.
That would be because they only do it to sell the cups. They really don't care how much soda you drink, but, they will give you a break if you buy a cup. Otherwise, just buy a soda, it's probably cheaper anyway.

disney4life2008

That would be because they only do it to sell the cups. They really don't care how much soda you drink, but, they will give you a break if you buy a cup. Otherwise, just buy a soda, it's probably cheaper anyway.

That is impossible though. If they did not care how much you drink, it would not be a 3 minute time limit.

Goofyernmost

That is impossible though. If they did not care how much you drink, it would not be a 3 minute time limit.
Two fold... sell cups and that part to prevent mass pilferage of product by those with a gallon jugs to fill. That I have personally seen happen. If people were honest it would never have been a problem, but, entitlement and dishonesty has negatively affected all of us.

DMDJ232

We will be doing a 3 week split stay,first week at Beach Club and the last 2 weeks at Animal Kingdom Lodge. My question is, once I purchase my length of stay mug at Beach Club, will it be good for 14 days (1st week at BC AND the 2nd week at AK)? If that is true, how do I keep it active for the 3rd week at AK? Thanks!!

nickys

Premium Member
We will be doing a 3 week split stay,first week at Beach Club and the last 2 weeks at Animal Kingdom Lodge. My question is, once I purchase my length of stay mug at Beach Club, will it be good for 14 days (1st week at BC AND the 2nd week at AK)? If that is true, how do I keep it active for the 3rd week at AK? Thanks!!

It will be good for your whole stay. When you collect it, let them know you are staying for 3 weeks. It should then be good for the whole time. Keep the receipt and if you have any problems into week 3, the cms will be able to extend it for you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom