Repainting of Epcot Central Plaza?

tirian

Now that I've seen pictures showing larger sections painted I'm starting to like the look. It brings some pop to an otherwise boring facade devoid of any color. I'm curious to see what the final product looks like.
Not to beat a dead horse, but how does a 1970s-era rug pattern look better than the original Communicore design?

I understand that you're comparing this to the faded red 90s mess. The funny thing is how the 2014 scheme still isn't better than the original from 1982.

Communicore.1.jpg

PREMiERdrum

Not to beat a dead horse, but how does a 1970s-era rug pattern look better than the original Communicore design?

I understand that you're comparing this to the faded red 90s mess. The funny thing is how the 2014 scheme still isn't better than the original from 1982.

Communicore.1.jpg

Completely agree. The buildings are designed with a dominant horizontal theme in a plaza situated in a horizontal arrangement. I 100% agree it was time for a freshening, but this? Yeesh.

Now, I think the whole "random line" barcode treatment could have worked had they used a horizontal pattern on the vertical pylons and left the header element a single color.

Kman101

They can call it whatever they want but it still just doesn't make sense at all. Hopefully we can get some clarification of other changes and why they went with this.

Omnispace

You're right and the facts are depressing. If you get a chance, have a conversation with some of the current Imagineers. Look at their portfolios. They're hardly the best anymore. Most got lucky with an internship or attended the "right school" when Disney was hiring. Few are true visionaries and even fewer know much about the company's history or full library of possibilities.

Many of today's Imagineers just repeat "Disneyland is not a museum" to justify bad decisions.

HOWEVER...

WDI still turns out some great stuff when experienced designers are involved. Carsland and FLE exteriors prove that. But there's no denying that other creative groups are turning out better attractions and more original concepts than WDI. Maybe one day the department will be less bloated and return to its former innovation.

To address the comments on WDI..... There is always going to be the case of young, inexperienced designers getting their feet wet on projects. One has the ambition to create and feel like you are going to be the one to make a profound difference in the projects you work on. But the reality is that starting out you just don't have all the tools and experience to bring projects to a level of sophistication they need to be.

I feel that Mentors are the key to the success of a design studio. Good mentors will be able to recognize the talents of their new designers and help them to be their best -- and most important, make them feel included in the creative process. Too many times I have seen people move on because they feel under-appreciated. When it become a battle of wills, the project deteriorates. A successful effort is collaborative as it brings out the best talents of everyone.

But it works both ways as well -- being a young arrogant designer is not going to get you anywhere because the keys to success is expanding your abilities and experience. Many of the people I have seen move on do so because they allowed their egos to get in the way. Even if you are working for someone you don't like, they may have the knowledge you need to improve yourself. Thus as a young designer it's important to have an open mind so that you can uncover the important things that will make you a success later on.

Not sure if this exactly applies to WDI, (my experience is in architecture), though design realities seem to be pretty similar everywhere. It may help those who encounter Imagineering to understand the dynamics better, and offer some advise to those pursuing a design career.

note2001

To address the comments on WDI..... There is always going to be the case of young, inexperienced designers getting their feet wet on projects. One has the ambition to create and feel like you are going to be the one to make a profound difference in the projects you work on. But the reality is that starting out you just don't have all the tools and experience to bring projects to a level of sophistication they need to be.

I feel that Mentors are the key to the success of a design studio. Good mentors will be able to recognize the talents of their new designers and help them to be their best -- and most important, make them feel included in the creative process. Too many times I have seen people move on because they feel under-appreciated. When it become a battle of wills, the project deteriorates. A successful effort is collaborative as it brings out the best talents of everyone.

But it works both ways as well -- being a young arrogant designer is not going to get you anywhere because the keys to success is expanding your abilities and experience. Many of the people I have seen move on do so because they allowed their egos to get in the way. Even if you are working for someone you don't like, they may have the knowledge you need to improve yourself. Thus as a young designer it's important to have an open mind so that you can uncover the important things that will make you a success later on.

Not sure if this exactly applies to WDI, (my experience is in architecture), though design realities seem to be pretty similar everywhere. It may help those who encounter Imagineering to understand the dynamics better, and offer some advise to those pursuing a design career.

I agree wholeheartedly.

If I may add, this new generation of designers has grown up entirely differently than the prior generation with the web and video games and screens dictating daily life all the way back to when they can recall. I'm not saying the Radio show, Leave it to Beaver or Brady Bunch generations were better with designing, but technology is embedded in the personalities of this new generation and they need to look beyond textbooks, twitter and smartphone screens to experience first hand how their designs sit with society and reflect nature.

Prior generations had similar issues, but not the the extent that is going on now. A few will eventually learn on their own, but most of the time, they will learn to do so through reviews with mentors.

Last edited:

Omnispace

Communicore.1.jpg

Beautiful photo! I've discussed the 1982 Communicore at length with friends who's family made pretty regular visits to EPCOT Center. Their take on it is that although they loved it, it basically didn't change for an entire 10 years. They thought Innoventions was pretty exciting when it came around but that was mostly because it was actually a fresh change after seeing the same thing for so long.

The point is that a better model needs to be developed for keeping Future World fresh while maintaining the best aspects of what made the park so intriguing to begin with. Innoventions seemed to be a good solution -- bring together a group of fresh exhibits in a flexible space that can be updated on a more regular basis -- but the reality of that doesn't seem to be working out.

I honestly think it's a matter of finding the right balance -- Communicore relied too much on long-term contracts for fairly static exhibits; Innoventions relies too much on outside exhibitors. A balanced plan would be to have some anchor exhibits that are more or less timeless with new items than can be easily updated. I would love to see the Progress City model restored to it's original size and exhibited at Epcot along with Walt's ambitious views on city planning -- could be balanced with the latest examples of forward-thinking urban projects, (like the tower being built with foliage all over it). That may be too nerdy for some but there are plenty of ideas that would fit that model. Having a dedicated design oversight committee could ensure that Future World gets the right exhibits and stays on track with a cohesive vision.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

I honestly think it's a matter of finding the right balance -- Communicore relied too much on long-term contracts for fairly static exhibits; Innoventions relies too much on outside exhibitors. A balanced plan would be to have some anchor exhibits that are more or less timeless with new items than can be easily updated. I would love to see the Progress City model restored to it's original size and exhibited at Epcot along with Walt's ambitious views on city planning -- could be balanced with the latest examples of forward-thinking urban projects, (like the tower being built with foliage all over it). That may be too nerdy for some but there are plenty of ideas that would fit that model. Having a dedicated design oversight committee could ensure that Future World gets the right exhibits stays on track with a cohesive vision.
I think the bigger problem is that Disney is no longer respected as a whole. There is no trust that Disney will deliver a great exhibit that works for the sponsor and Future World. There is no trust in Disney as a place to discover. So instead each exhibit is designed in isolation, sometimes more by the sponsor. Disney needs to rebuild a trust and idealism so that sponsors want to be associated with and not just another place to fight for eyeballs.

Omnispace

I agree wholeheartedly.

If I may add, this new generation of designers has grown up entirely differently than the prior generation with the web and video games and screens dictating daily life all the way back to when they can recall. I'm not saying the Radio show, Leave it to Beaver or Brady Bunch generations were better with designing, but technology is embedded in the personalities of this new generation and they need to look beyond textbooks, twitter and smartphone screens to experience first hand how their designs sit with society and reflect nature.

Prior generations had similar issues, but not the the extent that is going on now. A few will eventually learn on their own, but most of the time, they will learn to do so through reviews with mentors.

Definitely. There's no better example of that than all those flat screens installed on Spaceship Earth. The concept of those being a finale to a show to the exclusion of all else says a lot about the mindset involved. (At least when George McGinnis developed the traveling screens for Horizons he was thinking on a more encompassing scale.) Look beyond your screens!

I have also noticed, (for a while now), a growing reliance on being "clever" as if adding puns everywhere is a new level of sophistication, (case in point, the original DCA and it's pun-tabulous signs everywhere). I'm not sure if that is a generational mindset or the direction of a few misguided directors at WDI, (hopefully long gone now).

ABQ

Definitely. There's no better example of that than all those flat screens installed on Spaceship Earth. The concept of those being a finale to a show to the exclusion of all else says a lot about the mindset involved. (At least when George McGinnis developed the traveling screens for Horizons he was thinking on a more encompassing scale.) Look beyond your screens!

I have also noticed, (for a while now), a growing reliance on being "clever" as if adding puns everywhere is a new level of sophistication, (case in point, the original DCA and it's pun-tabulous signs everywhere). I'm not sure if that is a generational mindset or the direction of a few misguided directors at WDI, (hopefully long gone now).
"Papyrus in turn creates better record keeping of plans, designs and unfortunately taxes." <-- dumb pun heard on my favourite attraction.

Omnispace

I think the bigger problem is that Disney is no longer respected as a whole. There is no trust that Disney will deliver a great exhibit that works for the sponsor and Future World. There is no trust in Disney as a place to discover. So instead each exhibit is designed in isolation, sometimes more by the sponsor. Disney needs to rebuild a trust and idealism so that sponsors want to be associated with and not just another place to fight for eyeballs.

I absolutely agree. You have to be on top of your game if you want sponsors with more prestige than Waste Management.

Communicore

"Papyrus in turn creates better record keeping of plans, designs and unfortunately taxes." <-- dumb pun heard on my favourite attraction.
Hahahahaha...or the world wide web reference or the first backup system reference ahahahahaha....BOOF!

FerretAfros

I've also noticed the increase in puns and in-jokes, and in a broader sense, text as part of the theming. When MK opened, Exposition Hall was a lovely building with a small-ish sign; now it has giant banners proclaiming what's inside. This philosophy can be seen at the Innoventions entrances, countless posters in Storybook Circus, and even Tower of Terror's façade, and throughout the parks. Instead of letting the theming tell us where we are and what the backstory is, we're supposed to read it.

While most of the theming is still quite good, the reliance on text signage or 'clever' names to make things themed seems like a cop-out. It excludes non-English speakers and young children (!) from being able to fully understand what's going on. It's not necessarily a huge shift in the reality of what the guest sees, but it's certainly a big departure of the design philosophy. Knowing that guests turn off their brains when they're in the park, do they really expect people to read all the text in the Haunted Mansion or Big Thunder interactive queues?

tirian

I'm in a related field (not design or architecture) and understand completely. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom