1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Repainting of Epcot Central Plaza?

Discussion in 'WDW Parks News, Rumors and Current Events' started by Donald96, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Donald96

Donald96 Well-Known Member

image.jpg image.jpg Seems to me they're testing color schemes...

2. Prototype82

Prototype82 Well-Known Member

Please go with the black/white/silver.

bethymouse likes this.
  3. Figment2005

Figment2005 Well-Known Member

The area needed an update, now if they would only do the same to the TTC...

4. Bolt

Bolt Well-Known Member

This will be happening for the next three months. It will be a variety of colors not just one anymore.

5. CrazyDisneyFan

CrazyDisneyFan New Member

Atleast they are doing with the out-dated look.

bethymouse likes this.
  6. CDavid

CDavid Well-Known Member

Finished result obviously unseen, but a variety of colors sounds as if it would make the place look tacky rather than futuristic.

Paint store have a sale on one-off colors in the bargain bin or something?

7. The Empress Lilly

The Empress Lilly Well-Known Member

Please say you mean for testing purposes?

Tacky indeed. Innoventions and FW need to shed that ugly nineties overlay, instead of making it even worse yet.

8. Soarin' Over Pgh

Soarin' Over Pgh Well-Known Member

I guess the old "be careful what you ask for" needs to be shoved in our faces right about here, no? Apparently they heard our cries for updating Epcot.

We get new paint to ride and experience. I bet you can book your matching color scheme 60 days out on their website!

9. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos Well-Known Member

Well, some people do say Epcot is boring and watching paint dry is more exciting.. So TDO is giving them what they want, to watch paint dry... Problem is, you cannot watch the paint dry unless you book it 60 days in advance, and by then, the paint will already be dry...

wogwog, Crafty, sshindel and 5 others like this.
  10. Clamman73

Clamman73 Well-Known Member

Here's from my trip in October...look how blah the paint job looked.
    epcotpaint1.jpg
    epcotpain2.jpg

11. Soarin' Over Pgh

Soarin' Over Pgh Well-Known Member

The paint job reflects it's FW character: empty and abandoned. Dull, dry, ghost town.

eastvillage, Crafty, Gabe1 and 2 others like this.
  12. The Empress Lilly

The Empress Lilly Well-Known Member

Yes. The entire EPCOT parklike hub has been replaced the way they have and are now replacing the MK park-lke hub.

The CC/Innoventions buildings should be subdued colours, set in a park-like plaza, with water and fountains and trees. Then their subdued colours and repetitive facades become elegance. On their own, having to carry an otherwise empty plaza, the restraint and repetition of the architecture turns into boring. The plaza is too large, the architecture too restraint. So this then has to be remedied. But each subsequent attempt to remedy that boring look then only adds clutter and tackiness, from those trianges to cutting the Innoventions buildings in half to those swirly things to current (possible?) polychrome paintjobs.

[​IMG]

13. Seabasealpha1

Seabasealpha1 Well-Known Member

Last I was there, the tops of some of the buildings looked dirty and like they have years of paint buildup/decay on them...some fresh paint could be good. Though, I'd prefer to see the purple above NOT be put in the color scheme. I'd go with Silver/black/white...

Maybe they should think like "classic NASA" when they pick paint out...

ford91exploder likes this.
  14. dstrawn9889

dstrawn9889 Well-Known Member

the navy isnt so bad

15. Goofnut1980

Goofnut1980 Well-Known Member

Hey... I am for any paint color than what is there. The peach is just so drab and boring. I kinda like the look of multiple colors, but only if they change the neon to an LED that changes colors. That would make it look cool at night.

While I am on that subject, can anyone tell me why they don't do the color changing LEDs on SSE like Cindys house? That big ol ball changing colors would rock!

ford91exploder likes this.
  16. Disfan1971

Disfan1971 Member

The lights that light up the palm trees underneath spaceship earth can and do change colors.... It's a really easy thing to do it's just a matter of if they want to spend the money on buying new lights to light up the ball.... Which they don't

17. cspencer96

cspencer96 Active Member

Eh, it's an easy thing to just light up Spaceship Earth with bright color which would come from LEDs, maybe not so easy to keep the current beauty and grandeur. The current lighting package for SE involves high powered lights with colored gels that produce subtle, tasteful color. To replicate this, a lot of testing and experimenting would need to be done. LED light, while gorgeous, is much different from tungsten, halogen, and xenon. SE would look horrible lit up like the castle - it needs class and subtlety, not whimsy and vivid color. An LED lighting package is of course possible, the work just needs to be done in order to hone down the details of it. If Disney wants help, I'm open!

18. hpyhnt 1000

hpyhnt 1000 Well-Known Member

19. Cosmic Commando

Cosmic Commando Well-Known Member

The "FOUNTAIN VIEW" part looks way too Tomorrowland '94. I love Tomorrowland '94, but not in FW.

20. TP2000

TP2000 Well-Known Member

Agreed. That font is no good there. A shame they can't/don't apply the classic EPCOT Center font to big signage like this in Future World.
    [​IMG]