Trip Report Relaxin' on the Rue D'Baga *COMPLETED*

Another school year is winding down and students are being tested on what they have learned. Have they mastered what was taught? A good teacher will ensure that most will pass with flying colors. Experience in itself can be a good teacher. We learn what works and what doesn't. We learn patience. We learn to adjust our expectations. And hopefully, we learn from our mistakes.

Those of you who read my last trip report ~
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/go-with-the-flow-its-spring-break-you-know-completed.912354/
know that I am a planner who doesn't always adapt well when my plans go awry. But I am learning to be more flexible (though will always be a work in progress!) And what better environment to learn in than Walt Disney World?! :happy:

So on with the show!
Cast: Tuvalu and Woody

image.jpeg
(Wait, no Em? She's one of the teachers doing the testing! :joyfull:)

Dates:
May 3-8, 2016

image.jpeg

Join us as we spend extended time at the Flower and Garden Festival (the main reason for this trip) and find pleasure in slowing down to stop and smell the roses (literally and figuratively :inlove:.)

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Friday, May 6
This was my favorite day of our trip. The weather was picture-perfect and we got to do a lot of leisurely strolling, soaking in the beauty and ambiance of our favorite vacation destination. We made it a point to notice details, which often go unnoticed in the rush to get to an attraction. It bears repeating that those little details are what sets Disney apart!

Is it just me, or does anyone else wake up famished after a big dinner the night before? It makes no sense to be hungry during a food hangover! But anticipating how we would feel the morning after our California Grill dinner, I made sure to book a breakfast reservation. :) Woody requested Captain's Grill at the Yacht Club. (From one C-Grill to another, hee hee hee!)

We discovered this hidden gem for breakfast a couple of years ago. In addition to regular menu offerings, there is an extensive buffet (which is very reasonably priced). Our plan was to take a bus to the Studios and then either boat or walk to Yacht Club.

We had a 25 minute wait for a Studios bus. I was beginning to stress that we would be late for our ADR (old habits die hard!) During our wait, I noticed a family of 3 that looked familiar...and realized it was @Doc Disney and her mom and dad! I left Woody on the bench and went to say hello. (Woody is used to my abandoning him and socializing with others :p.) Sadly, we did not get a picture together as their MK bus pulled up and they needed to board.

Our bus finally arrived and of course an ECV needed to be loaded. Since we were short on time when we arrived at the Studios, we opted to walk to Yacht Club.
image.jpeg

We're already beating the boat.
image.jpeg

Getting closer
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Made it!
image.jpeg

Per Woody's fitbit it is just under 1.5 miles from the DHS bus depot to Yacht Club.

Morning on Crescent Lake:
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

A cast member offered to take our picture.
image.jpeg

Time to eat!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
We didn't read the menu. Don't worry....we didn't need to. We were here for the buffet!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The buffet has its own room. How great is that??!!!
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The buffet does not have custom omelets or a carving station like other Disney buffets which keeps the cost down. However there are a variety of egg dishes (scrambled, hard boiled, frittata, quiche) and meats (Applewood bacon, sausage, turkey sausage); fruit and yogurt; cereals; pastries; biscuits and gravy; Bananas Foster French toast; and Mickey waffles with a choice of toppings. If you leave hungry, it's your own fault!

image.jpeg

Side note: The buffet has the best chocolate chip mini muffins I have ever tasted! Seriously addictive :hungry:.

ScarletBegonias

I love the walk from Hollywood Studios to Epcot. We have found that it is much faster to walk than to take the boat, even at a leisurely pace.

The breakfast buffet at Captain's Grill looks awesome. I will have to give it a try sometime. This summer we have breakfast reservations at Boma, a first for us as well.
Boma is amazing!!! Enjoy!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
@Tuvalu , this is another great report with excellent pictures! I'm just starting to catch up now, as I was in WDW, myself, from Sunday to Wednesday (got home Weds. night). I'll have some comments for you a bit later on today about your trip, and mine! :happy: (Hope you don't mind if I share just a few, brief, comments about my trip in your TR later on--I figure we're all "family" here right? ;) :D )

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
@Tuvalu , this is another great report with excellent pictures! I'm just starting to catch up now, as I was in WDW, myself, from Sunday to Wednesday (got home Weds. night). I'll have some comments for you a bit later on today about your trip, and mine! :happy: (Hope you don't mind if I share just a few, brief, comments about my trip in your TR later on--I figure we're all "family" here right? ;) :D )
I was thinking about you while you were at WDW and hoped you were having a wonderful time! And yes, please share details with us! :inlove:

Woodywrkr

There were some pretty wet (and tired looking) people at the AK stop. A man who sat across from Woody asked us, "How come you're so dry?" (Ummm, because we know when it's time to get out of the rain?) We had to excuse ourselves through the drowned rats when the bus arrived at Kidani.

I wanted to suggest that plastic-wrap ponchos from the bargain bin are not going to keep a person dry in a Central Florida storm. If you're going to wear a flimsy poncho, at least wear one with Mickey on it.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I really enjoyed all your pictures. Because you covered so many topics in your TR, I'll comment (on one topic) each day, and add a few of my experiences as well.

FOOD (we all love food!! :joyfull: )

Happy to see all the pix of TS and buffet meals that you enjoyed. (To keep my price point down, I tend to go to the QS for the most part.) But seeing the wonderful variety of meals you had, allowed me and others to vicariously chow down, too, at your table! :happy: It was especially fun to see places like the new Boathouse (I walked past that the other day). I'm always curious to see what the new restaurants serve. I like the laid-back, yet upscale atmosphere in the background of those pictures. (All I could see from walking by was the bar area--nicely themed as well.)

So here are my two top meals I had this past week:

1. The Mara (at AKL) -- Since I was at AK Monday morning, I decided to head over to AKL to The Mara for lunch. They've revamped their QS menu and I really liked it. Had a delicious, hand-carved turkey (no packaged stuff) sandwich, with a few slices of cheddar, and an interesting cranberry spread (sort of a very light mayo mix). They also gave you a choice of a side (not just a standard french fries either, thank goodness), and I chose the chilled, couscous salad. That was yummy, too!! :hungry: There was plenty of seating and the place was clean. I met a very nice CM--a gentleman who was semi-retired, just working part-time, and he was sweeping the floors and cleaning tables. Said he enjoyed being around people. We chatted for a few minutes, and that was pleasant.

2. Tune-In Lounge at 50's Prime Time -- Got a tip from a fellow member of the forums that the bar area also serves lunch, and it wasn't too expensive. So I went there early (a bit after 11 AM) one morning and sat at the bar. I had a delicious meal (it was the Sampler plate--meatloaf, pot roast, fried chicken, mashed potatoes and green beans), and I devoured the whole thing! :p (Note: I'm always up early around 4-4:30 AM, so I'm ready for lunch shortly after 11.) I also had a glass of Zinfandel (not something I generally do at 11:00 AM, but heck, this is Disney!! :D ) The bartender was a great guy, and there was a (wait staff) woman also at the other end of the bar, and she was hilarious. It's very relaxed in there and the people around me were friendly. :happy: Outside of Disney, I don't go to bars; but this place was family-friendly, and far from a "dive" if you get my drift!! ;)

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
I really enjoyed all your pictures. Because you covered so many topics in your TR, I'll comment (on one topic) each day, and add a few of my experiences as well.

FOOD (we all love food!! :joyfull: )

Happy to see all the pix of TS and buffet meals that you enjoyed. (To keep my price point down, I tend to go to the QS for the most part.) But seeing the wonderful variety of meals you had, allowed me and others to vicariously chow down, too, at your table! :happy: It was especially fun to see places like the new Boathouse (I walked past that the other day). I'm always curious to see what the new restaurants serve. I like the laid-back, yet upscale atmosphere in the background of those pictures. (All I could see from walking by was the bar area--nicely themed as well.)

So here are my two top meals I had this past week:

1. The Mara (at AKL) -- Since I was at AK Monday morning, I decided to head over to AKL to The Mara for lunch. They've revamped their QS menu and I really liked it. Had a delicious, hand-carved turkey (no packaged stuff) sandwich, with a few slices of cheddar, and an interesting cranberry spread (sort of a very light mayo mix). They also gave you a choice of a side (not just a standard french fries either, thank goodness), and I chose the chilled, couscous salad. That was yummy, too!! :hungry: There was plenty of seating and the place was clean. I met a very nice CM--a gentleman who was semi-retired, just working part-time, and he was sweeping the floors and cleaning tables. Said he enjoyed being around people. We chatted for a few minutes, and that was pleasant.

2. Tune-In Lounge at 50's Prime Time -- Got a tip from a fellow member of the forums that the bar area also serves lunch, and it wasn't too expensive. So I went there early (a bit after 11 AM) one morning and sat at the bar. I had a delicious meal (it was the Sampler plate--meatloaf, pot roast, fried chicken, mashed potatoes and green beans), and I devoured the whole thing! :p (Note: I'm always up early around 4-4:30 AM, so I'm ready for lunch shortly after 11.) I also had a glass of Zinfandel (not something I generally do at 11:00 AM, but heck, this is Disney!! :D ) The bartender was a great guy, and there was a (wait staff) woman also at the other end of the bar, and she was hilarious. It's very relaxed in there and the people around me were friendly. :happy: Outside of Disney, I don't go to bars; but this place was family-friendly, and far from a "dive" if you get my drift!! ;)
That sandwich at the Mara sounds right up my alley! And with the couscous on the side, even better! :hungry:

And as many times as we've eaten at 50s Prime Time, we have never tried the Tune In Lounge...it is always packed when we are there, so it must be good! Sounds like the bar staff is as fun as the wait staff :)

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
A brief TR interruption before I continue ~
Yesterday morning was the 5k fundraiser for Wyatt. He led the runners while riding in a vehicle with Javy Lopez, 1995 World Series Champion Atlanta Braves.

image.png

After the run, Em and her friend got their picture taken with Javy.

image.png

Please keep Wyatt and his family in your prayers. :)

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Friday (con't)
After our yummy breakfast, it was time for some Flower and Garden fun in the sun!!! We entered Epcot via the International Gateway.

image.jpeg

We love this entrance...so nice to be away from the crowds! As we passed the World Traveler gift shop, something in the window caught Woody's eye. (Picture is a bit washed out, the shirt is actually bright blue.)

image.jpeg

We both agreed it would be a perfect shirt for Em, to thank her for taking care of Poly. :cat: We went inside, found the shirt, and brought it to the counter where CM Abel was standing.

Abel just might win the Most Unfriendly Cast Member Award.

He didn't respond to my greeting and he never looked me in the eyes. When I mentioned wanting to send my purchase to my resort, he fumbled around for the form and then thrust it at me. (I had to look around for a pen.) I don't think he even spoke my charge amount aloud. When he handed me my receipt I chirped, "Thank You!"

Silence. No reply at all.

Woody and I decided Abel was not able :hilarious:.

Since it was not yet 11 a.m. and World Showcase was closed, we walked towards Future World. Looks like Hook is yelling, "Keep moving, people! Move along!"

image.jpeg

When we saw this school group in Canada, I had to text Em. Their tee shirts said "3rd Grade Field Trip" and she teaches 3rd grade. Let's just say that Em was not the least bit envious of the teachers/chaperones. ;)

image.jpeg

We continued our walk.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom