Trip Report Relaxin' on the Rue D'Baga *COMPLETED*

Another school year is winding down and students are being tested on what they have learned. Have they mastered what was taught? A good teacher will ensure that most will pass with flying colors. Experience in itself can be a good teacher. We learn what works and what doesn't. We learn patience. We learn to adjust our expectations. And hopefully, we learn from our mistakes.

Those of you who read my last trip report ~
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/go-with-the-flow-its-spring-break-you-know-completed.912354/
know that I am a planner who doesn't always adapt well when my plans go awry. But I am learning to be more flexible (though will always be a work in progress!) And what better environment to learn in than Walt Disney World?! :happy:

So on with the show!
Cast: Tuvalu and Woody

image.jpeg
(Wait, no Em? She's one of the teachers doing the testing! :joyfull:)

Dates:
May 3-8, 2016

image.jpeg

Join us as we spend extended time at the Flower and Garden Festival (the main reason for this trip) and find pleasure in slowing down to stop and smell the roses (literally and figuratively :inlove:.)

docdebbi

finally just caught up. love the trip report. sorry for the abundance of rain......looks like it didn't stop you at all! glad you had fun

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
California Grill is a restaurant we save for a special occasion ~ anniversary, college graduation and birthday. Tonight we were going "just because." It threw me when the hostess asked what we were celebrating. The last time we had eaten at CG was for Woody's birthday, so I answered, "My belated birthday, I guess."

View attachment 142520

We have eaten in both the main dining room and the smaller Monterey Room. We prefer the intimacy and quietness of the Monterey room, but tonight we were satisfied with our booth across from the kitchen as it enabled us to have both dinner and a show! :D

View attachment 142522

Once again I didn't need to look at the menu because I knew exactly what I wanted ~ the oak grilled filet with risotto. I dream about this meal. And I had warned Woody in advance that I would not be having an appetizer since I was saving room for the amazing banana fritters that I was too full to eat the last time.

It would have been in my best interest to read the menu like Woody did.
View attachment 142521
Doesn't he look like he belongs in this yellow booth?!

There isn't a picture of the bread basket because I had scarfed down both pieces of lavender focaccia before I realized it! Thankfully Woody is not a fan of the focaccia or he would have had to fight me for it. He did order an appetizer.

Rotisserie chicken flatbread (it was too spicy for me...which was a good thing!)
View attachment 142523

Our server highly recommended the chicken tamale with salsa verde and fire roasted tomato sauce. Woody agreed it sounded interesting and said he would like to try it.

View attachment 142525
Woody said this was very good.

And here is my filet:
View attachment 142524

That's odd looking risotto, you may be thinking. Yeah, this is where reading the menu would have prepared me for the MASHED POTATOES that came with the filet. I can get plain mashed potatoes anywhere...not so much Zellwood corn or heirloom tomato risotto!! Our server said "guests were asking for meat and potatoes" when I inquired about the change from risotto. Boo! :(

Fortunately, the filet was amazing and I love asparagus so all was not lost. And I had my fritters to look forward to!

When we have celebrated our special occasions at CG, they were noted on our reservation and our tables were decorated with Mickey confetti and little streamers. That was all the "fuss" we received. So imagine my surprise when our server brought me this:

View attachment 142526

"Peaches and Cream Creme Brûlée for your birthday!" he announced. Stunned, yet still not wanting to miss out on my fritters, I meekly said "We'd like some fritters too."

The Creme Brûlée was to die for. Rich. Sweet. Decadent. I let Woody eat most of it because my fritters were coming!!

And then they came. And I really wished I had asked to see the dessert menu before ordering.

What I was craving ~ banana fritters with caramel, dark chocolate and peanut butter dipping sauces
What I got ~ berry fritters with mint :depressed:, raspberry caramel :hungover: and vanilla dipping sauces

Lesson learned? Always read the menu!!

When our server came with the bill he asked if I wanted to charge it with my MagicBand. I accidentally entered an incorrect PIN and quickly said, "I think I have to start over."

"No need," he replied. "The charge went through." And he walked away.

WHAT???

I thought, surely not...the PIN is supposed to provide security with charged transactions. It wasn't until I received our folio on check out day that I saw our server was right...the charge did go through! (It didn't occur to me to try a "wrong" PIN on another transaction to see if CG was an anamoly or if the PIN really doesn't matter. But I plan to on our next trip!)

Before leaving we went outside on the observation deck. It was an incredibly windy evening and we did not stay out long, because frankly it was a bit scary!

View attachment 142527
View attachment 142528
View attachment 142529

Wishes was still over an hour away and we decided just to head back to POFQ. Night #3 and this fireworks junkie still hadn't seen any. Could I go an entire vacation without fireworks? You'll have to wait and see.

Don't know if you heard all this while at the World again. It appears the wonderful risotto from the Cali is by Chef Brian Piasecki and was replaced by Mashed Potato Chef Dennis Thompson, guess sometime back in February.

They are playing the Move the Chef game again.
Hunnel after 20 years moved out of Victoria and Albert's, no new Chef named yet
Chef Phillip Ponticelli moved out of Citricos
When they closed Flying Fish Chef Tim Keating left Disney altogether

So beware and read those menus.

http://www.scottjosephorlando.com/

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Don't know if you heard all this while at the World again. It appears the wonderful risotto from the Cali is by Chef Brian Piasecki and was replaced by Mashed Potato Chef Dennis Thompson, guess sometime back in February.

They are playing the Move the Chef game again.
Hunnel after 20 years moved out of Victoria and Albert's, no new Chef named yet
Chef Phillip Ponticelli moved out of Citricos
When they closed Flying Fish Chef Tim Keating left Disney altogether

So beware and read those menus.

http://www.scottjosephorlando.com/
I did not know this. Thanks for the info.

MississippiBelle

I've been reading trip reports to help make the waiting period easier (October can't get here fast enough!!) You and Woody are my new Disney couple inspiration! I hope that my future DH and I will be fortunate enough to be AP members that get to go "home" so often! I just have to convince him to love Disney as much as I do first!! ;):rolleyes: Congratulations on the future grandbaby!!! I can't wait for your first grandparent's trip report!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
I've been reading trip reports to help make the waiting period easier (October can't get here fast enough!!) You and Woody are my new Disney couple inspiration! I hope that my future DH and I will be fortunate enough to be AP members that get to go "home" so often! I just have to convince him to love Disney as much as I do first!! ;):rolleyes: Congratulations on the future grandbaby!!! I can't wait for your first grandparent's trip report!
Awwww, you are very sweet! :inlove: I, too, CANNOT WAIT to write my first grandparents trip report!!!!!! :happy:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Wow what a shirt!! Was in bought in WDW or somewhere else? I have to have this shirt for my wife :)
Time for me to catch up with a lot TR's! A more than great one! Love to see all your pics! We stayed in POFQ last year, next October and in 2017! We love the resort! Thanks for sharing your trip!
My daughter found our Wishes shirts online through an independent seller who only makes a few at a time. We wore them on our June visit and plan to wear them tomorrow on our way back to the world! :happy:

FQ is my favorite moderate. Love it too! Thanks for reading along!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom