Trip Report Relaxin' on the Rue D'Baga *COMPLETED*

Another school year is winding down and students are being tested on what they have learned. Have they mastered what was taught? A good teacher will ensure that most will pass with flying colors. Experience in itself can be a good teacher. We learn what works and what doesn't. We learn patience. We learn to adjust our expectations. And hopefully, we learn from our mistakes.

Those of you who read my last trip report ~
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/go-with-the-flow-its-spring-break-you-know-completed.912354/
know that I am a planner who doesn't always adapt well when my plans go awry. But I am learning to be more flexible (though will always be a work in progress!) And what better environment to learn in than Walt Disney World?! :happy:

So on with the show!
Cast: Tuvalu and Woody

image.jpeg
(Wait, no Em? She's one of the teachers doing the testing! :joyfull:)

Dates:
May 3-8, 2016

image.jpeg

Join us as we spend extended time at the Flower and Garden Festival (the main reason for this trip) and find pleasure in slowing down to stop and smell the roses (literally and figuratively :inlove:.)

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Thursday, May 5
Prayers answered!! We awoke to glorious sunshine. I went to get us some breakfast while Woody got ready.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Every resort has its own background music and, no surprise, French Quarter's is jazz. The soundtrack switches on at 7 am...how do I know? The resort was quiet when I left the room and the sultry sound of the saxophone began as I reached the door of Sassagoula Floatworks.

I picked up muffins, yogurt and coffee and for the second morning in a row, my Tables in Wonderland card would not scan and a manager needed to be summoned. I hate holding up others in line behind me so I made a mental note to go to Guest Relations and get a replacement card.

Look who's waiting for me:
image.jpeg

Following a quick breakfast we made our way to the bus stop. I was DETERMINED to see the MK Welcome Show! We arrived at the MK in time for me to get a new TiW card before "making our way to the center of the Mickey floral" and witnessing this:

image.jpeg

Mayor Christopher George Weaver welcomes us to the Magic Kingdom!!!!!!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

One happy lady!
image.jpeg

Honestly, if Disney does away with this Welcome Show (as rumors seem to indicate) I will be one Weepy Wanda (and Em will be weeping right along with me!)

Like @Doc Disney, we were surprised to see a crane beside the castle.
image.jpeg

Seemed to be painting a turret.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Ugh so jealous I am dying to go to Sanaa but no one else in my family seems to want to! Looks amazing!
I was hesitant at first but boy, was I wrong! The food really isn't as exotic as it sounds...it's flavorful but not overly spicy.

Ooh Mrhappyplace and I ae hoping to enjoy a lunch at Sanaa next trip, and I know we will probably have the same strategy-lots of bread service and a split entree. Looks delish!
If only 2 are sharing the bread service, splitting an entree is definitely prudent!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
We had a FP for Space Mountain, but decided to hop on Peter Pan first. After flying over Neverland we used our feet to get to Tomorrowland :hilarious:.

There were two cast members in front of the entrance. One was holding this sign:
image.jpeg

Yep, Space Mountain was down. We could visit any of the listed attractions using our FP. Usually I receive a notification on my phone when my FP choice is unavailable but I did not get one today.

We agreed to swap out our Space Mountain FP for Big Thunder. But before heading to Frontierland, I had an experiment to try. I had read on another thread that fastpasses were not tied to park entry. I was skeptical, since under the paper fastpass system a ticket had to have been "activated" at the turnstile in order to receive a fastpass.
So I made two fastpass selections under Em's name and brought her MagicBand with me. I told Woody that if the Mickey head did not turn green, I would feign ignorance and walk away.

However, if Mickey turned green, then I was goin' for a ride :D.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Success!
image.jpeg

Fear not...I am not planning to abuse the system. I was merely doing research in hopes of debunking what I had read. And since I had made two fastpasses, it would have been wrong not to use the other one, right? So I went to bounce with Tigger while Woody waited at the exit for me.

cgersic

Thursday, May 5
Prayers answered!! We awoke to glorious sunshine. I went to get us some breakfast while Woody got ready.

View attachment 142361
View attachment 142362

Every resort has its own background music and, no surprise, French Quarter's is jazz. The soundtrack switches on at 7 am...how do I know? The resort was quiet when I left the room and the sultry sound of the saxophone began as I reached the door of Sassagoula Floatworks.

I picked up muffins, yogurt and coffee and for the second morning in a row, my Tables in Wonderland card would not scan and a manager needed to be summoned. I hate holding up others in line behind me so I made a mental note to go to Guest Relations and get a replacement card.

View attachment 142367
WHAT?? This is the first I've heard about the Welcome Show?? UGH! Is nothing sacred?!?!?!

Following a quick breakfast we made our way to the bus stop. I was DETERMINED to see the MK Welcome Show! We arrived at the MK in time for me to get a new TiW card before "making our way to the center of the Mickey floral" and witnessing this:

View attachment 142363

View attachment 142368
View attachment 142365
View attachment 142366

One happy lady!
View attachment 142364

Honestly, if Disney does away with this Welcome Show (as rumors seem to indicate) I will be one Weepy Wanda (and Em will be weeping right along with me!)

View attachment 142369
WHAT??? I have certainly not heard that about the Welcome Show?? UGH
Thursday, May 5

View attachment 142361
View attachment 142362

View attachment 142367

View attachment 142363

View attachment 142368
View attachment 142365
View attachment 142366

One happy lady!
View attachment 142364

View attachment 142369

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
While we were in Fantasyland, I received a message from @lostpro9het asking a favor. One of his former wrestling students, an 8-year-old boy named Wyatt, is battling a rare form of cancer. The community is encouraging Wyatt and his family by sending him pictures of people (some famous, some not) making a "W" with their hands. @lostpro9het thought it would be fun to send Wyatt a picture of a Disney character making the "W" and I readily agreed to help.

We were near Ariel's Grotto so Woody and I got in line. Woody warned me that Disney might have a policy forbidding characters from making any sort of hand gestures, but I was willing to take a chance. When it was my turn to meet Ariel, I explained to her about Wyatt and I could see genuine concern and a desire to help on her face ~ but I could also see the handler shaking her head no. Ariel asked the handler if she could make a heart and the handler nodded in agreement. So I made the "W" for Wyatt.

image.jpeg

Now here is where "It's a Small World After All" is proven true. @lostpro9het and I do not know each other except through WDWMagic. We both live outside Atlanta, but the metropolitan area is huge and covers many counties. I knew nothing of Wyatt until @lostpro9het's message. When I texted Em later about my "W" experience, she replied that Wyatt attends school in the same county where she teaches, and she is signed up to run in a 5k fundraiser for him on May 21st! #wywystrong

Mission accomplished, Woody and I jumped on the MPB ("moving park bench" aka the train) to Frontierland for our FP ride on Big Thunder Mountain. Then we took the MPB back to Fantasyland because it was time for lunch!

While searching for dinner options yesterday, I managed to also score an ADR for BOG lunch (see, there's always a chance, BOG seekers!) We pre-ordered our food so we could bypass the line, and today there was no line! We sat in our favorite Rose Gallery and both had carved turkey sandwiches and Master's cupcakes.

image.jpeg

We used FP #2 on Pirates (row 5, no water, perfect!) and #3 on Haunted Mansion. As soon as we exited HM, I used my phone for the first time for a 4th FP. Little Mermaid was currently available, so we trekked back to Fantasyland again :). Then it was another ride on the MPB where we disembarked at the Main Street station and headed for the bus.

Upon our return to POFQ we stopped at the pool bar for a drink. We enjoyed relaxing at a table in the warm sunshine, sipping a Pina Colada and Kona Longboard. We took a walk around the pool when we finished our libations.

Though the pool is fenced, a MagicBand is not required for entry.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

This new kids splash area replaces the kiddie pool. It's pretty neat!
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Up next, dinner at the California Grill!

epcotisbest

Woody napped upon our return to the room while I journaled and tried to come up with an evening plan. I did not feel like going to a park for dinner if it was going to continue raining, and I didn't feel like eating in Sassagoula Floatworks again.

For fun I searched for availability at Boma. There was a 9 pm ~ too late for my liking. How about Sanaa? A 6:45 pm ~ yes, please!! I had a quick moment of panic when the website timed out...thankfully the ADR was still there when the site began working again.

We were at the bus stop at 5:50 pm. AK closed at 6 pm, so when the AK bus pulled up and emptied, we anticipated a snarky comment from the driver when we boarded. Instead he politely asked, "Are you going to the lodge for dinner?" We -- and the three others who had boarded -- said yes. The driver continued, "Let me radio in and get permission to drive you folks straight to the lodge after I pick up at Animal Kingdom." SWEET!!

There were some pretty wet (and tired looking) people at the AK stop. A man who sat across from Woody asked us, "How come you're so dry?" (Ummm, because we know when it's time to get out of the rain?) We had to excuse ourselves through the drowned rats when the bus arrived at Kidani.

We checked in at Sanaa and had to wait a few minutes before our pager buzzed.

View attachment 142356
View attachment 142357

When we were seated, Woody looked over the wine list while I perused the drink menu. I honestly don't know why I even bothered, because I already knew what I wanted: :D

View attachment 142349

I don't need the glow cube as the drink is delicious by itself...but it is cool to watch the colors change.

View attachment 142350

Woody selected a Malbec which he enjoyed. And no visit to Sanaa would be complete without < drumroll, please >

BREAD SERVICE!! :hungry:
View attachment 142351
Our accompaniments were Red Pepper Hummus, Mango Chuntney and Tomato-Date Jam. Highly recommend them all!

We knew we'd pig out on the bread, so we decided to share an entree. We ordered a potjie with Butter Chicken, Braised Beef and Rice Pilaf.

(Full disclosure...I forgot to photograph our potjie. Please enjoy the following picture of Em's potjie from last summer: Butter Chicken, Basatmi Rice and Paneer Tikka)
View attachment 142358

(Astute readers will notice a glowing Magical Star Cocktail in the background ;).)

We enjoyed watching the animals on the savanna as we ate. The zebras and giraffes were not bothered by the rain! We were too full for dessert and left Sanaa as happy campers. We caught the Epcot bus and then transferred to the Port Orleans bus.

We went to sleep praying we'd seen the last of the rain.
Sanaa is just about our favorite. We always get the bread service, but we get all nine accompaniments. Now, when the server points out they go from hot to mild, he or she does not really emphasize just how hot the first few are, so we usually start out with the milder ones first or there are no taste buds left to enjoy them all.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Sanaa is just about our favorite. We always get the bread service, but we get all nine accompaniments. Now, when the server points out they go from hot to mild, he or she does not really emphasize just how hot the first few are, so we usually start out with the milder ones first or there are no taste buds left to enjoy them all.
We learned that lesson on our first visit to Sanaa...our tongues prefer the milder accompaniments :joyfull:.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
California Grill is a restaurant we save for a special occasion ~ anniversary, college graduation and birthday. Tonight we were going "just because." It threw me when the hostess asked what we were celebrating. The last time we had eaten at CG was for Woody's birthday, so I answered, "My belated birthday, I guess."

image.jpeg

We have eaten in both the main dining room and the smaller Monterey Room. We prefer the intimacy and quietness of the Monterey room, but tonight we were satisfied with our booth across from the kitchen as it enabled us to have both dinner and a show! :D

image.jpeg

Once again I didn't need to look at the menu because I knew exactly what I wanted ~ the oak grilled filet with risotto. I dream about this meal. And I had warned Woody in advance that I would not be having an appetizer since I was saving room for the amazing banana fritters that I was too full to eat the last time.

It would have been in my best interest to read the menu like Woody did.
image.jpeg

Doesn't he look like he belongs in this yellow booth?!

There isn't a picture of the bread basket because I had scarfed down both pieces of lavender focaccia before I realized it! Thankfully Woody is not a fan of the focaccia or he would have had to fight me for it. He did order an appetizer.

Rotisserie chicken flatbread (it was too spicy for me...which was a good thing!)
image.jpeg

Our server highly recommended the chicken tamale with salsa verde and fire roasted tomato sauce. Woody agreed it sounded interesting and said he would like to try it.

image.jpeg

Woody said this was very good.

And here is my filet:
image.jpeg

That's odd looking risotto, you may be thinking. Yeah, this is where reading the menu would have prepared me for the MASHED POTATOES that came with the filet. I can get plain mashed potatoes anywhere...not so much Zellwood corn or heirloom tomato risotto!! Our server said "guests were asking for meat and potatoes" when I inquired about the change from risotto. Boo! :(

Fortunately, the filet was amazing and I love asparagus so all was not lost. And I had my fritters to look forward to!

When we have celebrated our special occasions at CG, they were noted on our reservation and our tables were decorated with Mickey confetti and little streamers. That was all the "fuss" we received. So imagine my surprise when our server brought me this:

image.jpeg

"Peaches and Cream Creme Brûlée for your birthday!" he announced. Stunned, yet still not wanting to miss out on my fritters, I meekly said "We'd like some fritters too."

The Creme Brûlée was to die for. Rich. Sweet. Decadent. I let Woody eat most of it because my fritters were coming!!

And then they came. And I really wished I had asked to see the dessert menu before ordering.

What I was craving ~ banana fritters with caramel, dark chocolate and peanut butter dipping sauces
What I got ~ berry fritters with mint :depressed:, raspberry caramel :hungover: and vanilla dipping sauces

Lesson learned? Always read the menu!!

When our server came with the bill he asked if I wanted to charge it with my MagicBand. I accidentally entered an incorrect PIN and quickly said, "I think I have to start over."

"No need," he replied. "The charge went through." And he walked away.

WHAT???

I thought, surely not...the PIN is supposed to provide security with charged transactions. It wasn't until I received our folio on check out day that I saw our server was right...the charge did go through! (It didn't occur to me to try a "wrong" PIN on another transaction to see if CG was an anamoly or if the PIN really doesn't matter. But I plan to on our next trip!)

Before leaving we went outside on the observation deck. It was an incredibly windy evening and we did not stay out long, because frankly it was a bit scary!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Wishes was still over an hour away and we decided just to head back to POFQ. Night #3 and this fireworks junkie still hadn't seen any. Could I go an entire vacation without fireworks? You'll have to wait and see.

Last edited:

lostpro9het

Now here is where "It's a Small World After All" is proven true. @lostpro9het and I do not know each other except through WDWMagic. We both live outside Atlanta, but the metropolitan area is huge and covers many counties. I knew nothing of Wyatt until @lostpro9het's message. When I texted Em later about my "W" experience, she replied that Wyatt attends school in the same county where she teaches, and she is signed up to run in a 5k fundraiser for him on May 21st! #wywystrong
It is an amazingly small world indeed! Thank you for your picture.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Now here is where "It's a Small World After All" is proven true. @lostpro9het and I do not know each other except through WDWMagic.

And what a really nice community we have here, right? I've met a number of fellow "WDWMagic-ers" at the parks, and every one of them is a person I'm glad to have for a friend.

California Grill is a restaurant we save for a special occasion ~ anniversary, college graduation and birthday. Tonight we were going "just because." It threw me when the hostess asked what we were celebrating. The last time we had eaten at CG was for Woody's birthday, so I answered, "My belated birthday, I guess."

View attachment 142520

We have eaten in both the main dining room and the smaller Monterey Room. We prefer the intimacy and quietness of the Monterey room, but tonight we were satisfied with our booth across from the kitchen as it enabled us to have both dinner and a show! :D

View attachment 142522

Once again I didn't need to look at the menu because I knew exactly what I wanted ~ the oak grilled filet with risotto. I dream about this meal. And I had warned Woody in advance that I would not be having an appetizer since I was saving room for the amazing banana fritters that I was too full to eat the last time.

It would have been in my best interest to read the menu like Woody did.
View attachment 142521
Doesn't he look like he belongs in this yellow booth?!

There isn't a picture of the bread basket because I had scarfed down both pieces of lavender focaccia before I realized it! Thankfully Woody is not a fan of the focaccia or he would have had to fight me for it. He did order an appetizer.

Rotisserie chicken flatbread (it was too spicy for me...which was a good thing!)
View attachment 142523

Our server highly recommended the chicken tamale with salsa verde and fire roasted tomato sauce. Woody agreed it sounded interesting and said he would like to try it.

View attachment 142525
Woody said this was very good.

And here is my filet:
View attachment 142524

That's odd looking risotto, you may be thinking. Yeah, this is where reading the menu would have prepared me for the MASHED POTATOES that came with the filet. I can get plain mashed potatoes anywhere...not so much Zellwood corn or heirloom tomato risotto!! Our server said "guests were asking for meat and potatoes" when I inquired about the change from risotto. Boo! :(

Fortunately, the filet was amazing and I love asparagus so all was not lost. And I had my fritters to look forward to!

When we have celebrated our special occasions at CG, they were noted on our reservation and our tables were decorated with Mickey confetti and little streamers. That was all the "fuss" we received. So imagine my surprise when our server brought me this:

View attachment 142526

"Peaches and Cream Creme Brûlée for your birthday!" he announced. Stunned, yet still not wanting to miss out on my fritters, I meekly said "We'd like some fritters too."

The Creme Brûlée was to die for. Rich. Sweet. Decadent. I let Woody eat most of it because my fritters were coming!!

And then they came. And I really wished I had asked to see the dessert menu before ordering.

What I was craving ~ banana fritters with caramel, dark chocolate and peanut butter dipping sauces
What I got ~ berry fritters with mint :depressed:, raspberry caramel :hungover: and vanilla dipping sauces

When our server came with the bill he asked if I wanted to charge it with my MagicBand. I accidentally entered an incorrect PIN and quickly said, "I think I have to start over."

WHAT???

I thought, surely not...the PIN is supposed to provide security with charged transactions. It wasn't until I received our folio on check out day that I saw our server was right...the charge did go through! (It didn't occur to me to try a "wrong" PIN on another transaction to see if CG was an anamoly or if the PIN really doesn't matter. But I plan to on our next trip!)

Before leaving we went outside on the observation deck. It was an incredibly windy evening and we did not stay out long, because frankly it was a bit scary!

View attachment 142527
View attachment 142528
View attachment 142529

Wishes was still over an hour away and we decided just to head back to POFQ. Night #3 and this fireworks junkie still hadn't seen any. Could I go an entire vacation without fireworks? You'll have to wait and see.

Oh. My. Goodness. What an experience at Cali Grill!! :jawdrop: I'm equally shocked that the wrong PIN didn't stop a transaction, especially at an expensive location like CG. And the risotto is gone because of "popular demand"?? :jawdrop: I'll treasure the memory of my perfect filet with tomato risotto. Sorry about your fritters.

Last time I ate there was last month, and I think they've changed the menu since then, as our flatbread had bacon & tomato. The rotisserie chicken version that you photographed looks really good. :hungry: I didn't even notice the filet on the menu, because I was distracted by the halibut (which was delicious). I'm torn by menu changes. On the one hand, it's a chance to try new and wonderful dishes. On the other, when you get something wonderful, you want to be able to have it over and over again. :)

bee

^^^THIS^^^

Learned that lesson last February at San Angel Inn when we were expecting a plate of vegetarian enchiladas and got...a salad with some tortillas. I do like that Disney changes menus from time to time, especially at places with only one or two vegetarian options so I don't get stuck with the same damn pasta dish eight times in a row. But now I ALWAYS READ THE MENU!

Umm. What. In July we had a PIN issue and couldn't even pay for a quick service meal. But at a signature restaurant??? Ummmmm.

Loving the report!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom