Refillable Mugs

col

ive got a round mug from sports with a flip top but i got a PC one and its awkward with the top and the shape. next time its a flip top for me!!:)

Upvote 0
The marketing concept behind these mugs is very smart.<br>
It's 'feel good" marketing at its best. The consumer gets a good value and is a willing and happy customer when spending their money.<br>
So why would Disney do this?<br>
They recover the cost of the mug up front so they only lose would be from the sale of each soda, coffee or tea.<br>
Now remember that there is only one or two loacations where you can refill those mugs. They do not care if you refill that mug 10 times a day because every time you take that mug to get a refill you are exposed to the food court.<br>
That mug keeps you coming back to the food court and that is what Disney wants. Disney hopes that every now and then you will make a food purchase. They are counting on it and I dare say that often people do go down for a refill and end up making a food purchase that they had not planned on making.<br>
This is great marketing because the consumer gets good value, feels happy with the purchase and is exposed to addition products for sale.

Upvote 0

WDWRLD

Actually I read somewhere that the sodas are given to WDW in return for the free advertisment of coke products on menus, rides (Just look around AK) and paper products that are in the food court. That is why when back last summer they lowered the price of bottled cokes at AK from 2.50 to 2 bucks, They did a study and figured out that they would actually sell more by selling for .50 cent less per unit. No matter how you look at it its clear profit of at least 2 dollars everytime you see a bottled drink in someones hand. Not sure if all this is true but just something I read a few years ago.

Upvote 0

Bill Smugs

col said:
bottles of soda in the parks cost $1.89 then add tax and its $2.00.

get a 24oz. bottle of water from the resort food court and they cost $2.00 -thats all you pay.

your still paying the tax, on it though. It's just added to the price. The same as when you buy tickets away from the parks and at the parks. They just take off the tax and tell you a lower price, only to add the tax on to get the "regular" price.

Upvote 0

col

i know but im just stating what happens.

when i watched the candlelight processional in 2005 a bottle of sprite cost me $1.89 thats all nothing else.:)

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

We used the mugs in August and let me tell you we definitely got our value out of it. First, let me say there is no way on gods green earth that you'd get by on one mug between two kids, is that a battle you want to have every time you hit the food court, on who is going to get to drink out of the mug and who has to drink from the paper cup. If you spend any time by the pool or just two visits a day to the food court you've paid for the mugs. At Pop they have coke and blue slushies on the drink bar and the kids loved them. My niece had a blue tongue every night.

Upvote 0

Bill Smugs

I am going to be staying at both Port Orleans Resorts with a trip on the Disney Wonder in between can i buy a mug during the first part of my trip and use it again after the cruise?

Upvote 0

mhead

For a couple of years we would not buy them because we thought, like many of you, that it is not worth it if you are not at the resort very much - but in the last two or so years we have started buying one no matter what and then we use them at home - they are great conversation starters as people will almost always say "oh we stayed there..." or " how many of those mugs do you have?"

Upvote 0

hansel1

We think the mugs are a little on the small side as well. However, if you want hot chocolate or coffee, its probably a good deal.

We found ourselves using the mugs every morning for Hot Chocolate (january trip) seven mornings and two night refills made it a better deal.

I agree with the others in saying that if you are only staying a couple of days, don't buy a mug unless you just really want it to take home.

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

hansel1 said:
I agree with the others in saying that if you are only staying a couple of days, don't buy a mug unless you just really want it to take home.

It really depends upon how much coffee/soda you drink and if you are going to have any days that are pool days in the afternoon at which time you will probably find yourself buying soda. For me, even 4 days it is worth buying a mug since I drink soda for breakfast, and in the evening on the way back to my room I usually stop at the food court for a mug or two of soda. Just think that $2 in the morning and evening is $4 a day multiplied by 3 days it's $12, so for 3 plus days it is definitely worth it.

Upvote 0

WDWFanatic

We have bought mugs and used them alot. I even saw someone using mugs from years ago with the old logos on them. We are going to bring ours back next time and use them again. they are worth it

Upvote 0

Coastercameron

Back in 2000, they offered a stamp you could buy on your key card for unlimited soft drinks (at the bar etc) on the cruise ship, not sure about now. Also, the mugs are impractically small for taking back to the room... I'm sure this is done on purpose.

Upvote 0

WDWRLD

Could you see everybody walking around with this mug. Its a whopping 64 oz and made by whirley, the same company that makes the mugs for Disney and many other parks, coliseums and sporting venues across the country.

Attachments

• mug.JPE
    mug.JPE
    14.9 KB · Views: 28
Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom