Reader’s Corner

k8einwdw

Original Poster
My latest read was “The Seven Year Slip” by Ashley Poston.

IMG_8968.jpeg

It is about Clementine, a woman in her late twenties who is a book publicist. She lives in Manhattan in an apartment that was left to her by her beloved aunt who has passed away. The apartment has the ability to send its residents back in time, exactly seven years, usually when they are at a crossroads in life.

Clementine’s aunt only had two rules for the apartment - take your shoes off by the door, and never fall in love with someone you meet from the past in the apartment. Unfortunately for Clementine, that second rule becomes hard to follow when the apartment brings her Iwan, a charming aspiring chef. They quickly develop feelings for each other, but Clementine is living seven years in his future - can they make a relationship work, or is their love bound to the confines of the apartment?

This was such a sweet read - it’s a love story, but it’s also a story about grief, and the way people and their dreams can change.

BuddyThomas

I just got done reading the new Danielle Steel novel "Never Too Late". Danielle Steel is my guilty pleasure read, I call her books my reading candy because I can cruise through in a couple hours. It was good but it does deal with a pretty heavy subject which I will put in a spoiler.
The book deals with a current day (fictional of course) terrorist attack in New York City and references 9/11 a lot which can be sensitive for many people.
View attachment 773866
I can’t believe she is still putting out books. She was a best selling writer all the way back in the 1980’s when I worked a part time job while in high school at Waldenbooks, which no longer exists.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I can’t believe she is still putting out books. She was a best selling writer all the way back in the 1980’s when I worked a part time job while in high school at Waldenbooks, which no longer exists.

Yep she just keeps cranking out the books. The heroines have gotten older in her books though. I suppose that matches her aging as well.

Oh and I loved Waldenbooks at my mall when it was still around, my sister would go to all the clothes stores in the mall and I would spend my time in the book store.

StarWarsGirl

I just finished reading Say You'll Be Mine by Naina Kumar. It's her debut and was released earlier this year, and it's very, very good. It's about two people who are first generation Indian Americans who are set up in an arranged marriage by their parents. The guy doesn't want to get married, and the girl needs a date to her ex's wedding, so they agree to get fake engaged. It was super cute. There were parts I was like "Hmm, this may have been better if it were this way" but overall, it was a very good book.

I've started using the word runner feature on the Kindle app. I was using it to read a textbook because my eyes were getting fatigued. For those who aren't familiar, it basically flashes words across the middle of the screen so you don't have to move your eyes when reading. It's supposed to let you read faster; I don't really set it up too much higher than my normal reading speed. For me, because I do have issues with eye focus and tracking which causes me to strain, it does help. Also because the words are nice and big on the screen. I also could actually read in the car, which was amazing. I held the phone against the window, and because I could still see out and didn't have to move my eyes, I didn't get carsick while reading. Usually I have to stick to audiobooks when riding in a car.

Songbird76

I just started Iron Widow by Xiran Jay Zhoa. It's not something I would have picked for myself. It's a book club selection. I've only read the first chapter and it seems good so far, but it's a science fiction distopian and I'm not a fan of sci-fi, so we'll see. It's about a girl who decides to avenge her sister's death. There's an alien population that has tried to take over this world, and the humans have figured out a way to use their "husks" to fight them, but it requires both a male and a female pilot, and the female usually ends up dying. When the sister is killed without ever even being in a battle, the woman decides to kill the male pilot who murdered her sister, so she signs up to be his female pilot "concubine".

I was EXHAUSTED when I started it, because we were evacuated from our house when the neighbor's shed caught fire in the middle of the night, so I kept falling asleep while trying to read. I missed a LOT, and went back and read the beginning again and I think I understand what's going on now, but I found it confusing in the beginning, and I don't know how much of that is due to my exhaustion, and how much it's due to just a confusing plotline. But this is one of the reasons I generally don't like Sci-fi. I have issues with understanding the world-building in books. It takes me a while to get into it and to figure out what everything means. But I like the premise so far.

Songbird76

I just finished Pride and Prejudice for about the 15th time, and now I'm reading a YA book about a girl who loves musicals, but has to work at her dad's gamer store because she took her mom's car to drive to see a musical. I'm only a couple of chapters in...it's cute, but definitely for younger audiences. I think I would have loved it when I was about 13. Dungeons and Drama by Kristy Boyce

k8einwdw

Original Poster
IMG_9017.jpeg

I’m a few years late to the game on this one, but I finished “The Nightingale” by Kristin Hannah yesterday. It is a historical fiction about two sisters living in German-occupied France during World War Two. I love Kristin Hannah’s books, but she has a real knack for absolutely ripping your heart out. I LOVED this book, but I’m going to have to read something light and fluffy next. 😅

Songbird76

View attachment 781797

I’m a few years late to the game on this one, but I finished “The Nightingale” by Kristin Hannah yesterday. It is a historical fiction about two sisters living in German-occupied France during World War Two. I love Kristin Hannah’s books, but she has a real knack for absolutely ripping your heart out. I LOVED this book, but I’m going to have to read something light and fluffy next. 😅
I love Kristin Hannah and I am also really interested in WWII history.... Do you recommend this one? I haven't read it.

erstwo

IMG_8894.jpeg
Great novel. Especially impressive for a new author. Lots of buzz around this one among my friends- the library waiting list was 70+ people long for each copy 😱 so I bought it.
It reminds me a lot of Midnight Library.

StarWarsGirl

Not yet but its on my list. I loved Book Lovers, Beach Road and People We Meet on Vacation. I didn't think Happy Place was as good but I've high hopes for this one, the reviews are promising.
I loved Happy Place. I think I read it in a day.
I saw this book at the airport and wondered if anyone has read it yet?

View attachment 782522
I ordered it on Amazon. Haven't read it yet because it was only just released a couple of weeks ago and I had a couple of library books that I had to finish first before their due dates.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom