Port Orleans Advice

mavlax20

The first time I went, we stayed at POFQ...late 90's. I stayed with my then fiance now wife at PORS in 2013 and loved it. I am planning a trip back, and may go for PORS or POFQ for the majority of our stay before spending a few days at another resort afterwards.

FrostyNaples

Next month, my family and I are staying at Port Orleans French Quarter for the first time! I've heard great things. Those of you, who have stayed there, how was it? Any advice or must do's?

Having stayed at both Port Orleans resorts i would say just a few things.

First, they share Bus & Boat transportation, and they cater to Riverside. In this regards, if staying at French Quarter, be sure to allow extra traveling time during peak usage.

For the boats, they go to, and pick up from Riverside first. Then they hit up French Quarter, sometimes too full.

The buses, kind of the same deal depending on the time of day, and amount of guests. We rode from Down Town Disney back to French Quarter (it would have been faster to walk), as they went all around Riverside first, and French Quarter last.

With regards to the grounds, we loved French Quarter decor over Riverside. Much more colorful due to the scheme.

Both great and similar accommodations, pretty equal there.

Riverside is huge, French Quarter is the smallest.

Coin toss as long as you know what your getting into and plan accordingly! Try both!:D

Pan

Another bonus is you can also use the pool at POR which I personally enjoy more than the POFQ pool-better slide and theming. If you stay in building 6 or 7 as we did, it is an easy 10 min walk along the Sassagoula River.

mnagel55

Stayed at Riverside the last 4 times and going again in a month. Obviously we love it but I must admit the last 2 times buses were a crapshoot,

Dog Ate Mouse

One thing that no one had mentioned to you is to slow down, take everything in, relax, forget about life for awhile and just enjoy your time at WDW. You are going to be very happy at POFQ. Take a walk over to PORS and see what they have to do an offer too. Exploring is half the fun to a WDW vacation. Last and most importantly, have a Magical Day

ULPO46

Due to it's proximity to Downtown Disney and due to the massive traffic jams caused during the re developtment of the DTD area. I would recomend to take the boats and not the bus or renting a car unless you want to eat off site. Either resort is beautiful and for the money you are paying are probably the best valued at the WDW Resort. If you stay at the French Quarter it's an easy walk to river side, or you can ride the carriages over to Riverside. But honestly great choice on the resort. You and your family will enjoy it.

JIMINYCR

Our favorite place to spend our Disney nights. Theres just a small hot tub for guest use, space can be limited. The food court doesnt have as much of a selection as PORS so you may want to take a stroll down the path to check out the menu items at their dining area, you can take out meals if you want to bring it back to POFQ room. The evening entertainment in the scat cat club is changing but you must check out YeeHaa Bob at PORS. Beignets at POFQ are a must do. Check out the frog pool by building 4. The check in desk and gift shop both have pin trading boards to trade on. Theres mardi gras coins and beads passed out to the kids and coloring pages in the lobby. The boat ride to DTD is very pleasant and some of the boat pilots can be very informative.

Tinkerbella16

Our favorite place to spend our Disney nights. Theres just a small hot tub for guest use, space can be limited. The food court doesnt have as much of a selection as PORS so you may want to take a stroll down the path to check out the menu items at their dining area, you can take out meals if you want to bring it back to POFQ room. The evening entertainment in the scat cat club is changing but you must check out YeeHaa Bob at PORS. Beignets at POFQ are a must do. Check out the frog pool by building 4. The check in desk and gift shop both have pin trading boards to trade on. Theres mardi gras coins and beads passed out to the kids and coloring pages in the lobby. The boat ride to DTD is very pleasant and some of the boat pilots can be very informative.
What is the frog pool by building 4? I can only think of the fountain with the frogs around the edges.. I LOVE this fountain and sat there everyday, when I stayed in building 6!

stuart

With the boats...
They start at Riverside then FQ then Downtown. On the return they go to FQ first, then Riverside, not as said above. In addition, depending time of year FQ get their own boats, and they also only take so many on at Riverside, 24 i think.

Buses
FQ sometimes has its own, but typically when we go in June/July they share with RS most of the day.

MK goes straight to park from FQ. Epcot/MGM/ Ak&BB pick up and therefore drop off at FQ first then RS.

Downtown Disney starts by doing the loop stops at RS before the main depot then to FQ.

Coming back from Epcot at night, sometimes during day, there is often a separate bus to FQ and RS

JIMINYCR

What is the frog pool by building 4? I can only think of the fountain with the frogs around the edges.. I LOVE this fountain and sat there everyday, when I stayed in building 6!

Yes... guess I should have said frog fountain instead of frog pool. Sorry. My mistake.

100_1085-2-639x800.jpg

JIMINYCR

i
I figured that's what you meant! I just switched resorts AGAIN! Lol I'll be at Riverside in a royal room instead of the WL. Can't wait for this trip!!

Friends of ours stayed in a Royal room at PORS 2 years ago and they loved it. Now that youre back at Port Orleans, we could meet up some evening and enjoy the Yee Haa Bob antics... if you like him.

splashingatkali

We have stayed at both RS and FQ. They are both lovely resorts. Very clean and comfy. For convenience if thats what you want, FQ is smaller and its easier to get around faster. We stay in building 3, which makes everything accessible. Pool theme is very nice and there's always a spot to lounge or sit. Food is great at both, but FQ has beignets and the po'boy! Yum!!

Stellajack

Premium Member
After 12 visits to POR, our favorite, we are booked at French Quarter for our May trip. We are looking forward to this stay since we have read so many positive reviews. We are familiar with the resort property, water taxi schedules, etc. and we often use the POFQ buses from the parks at night and then walk to POR.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom