Pokemon Go at Disneyland

Rich T

Yeah, why on earth would people hate things like pet rocks, swallowing goldfish and Pokemon Go? Just to be contrary, I guess. :rolleyes:
The key difference here is that Pokemon Go is a clever, fun game based on one of the most popular IPs on the planet. If you don't like Pokemon, that's fine, but don't hate it just because a lot of people are enjoying taking funny photos in an ingenious game. And, again, phones should not be used for any reason inside attractions.

Curious Constance

From Mouseplanet:

Pokémon Go at Disneyland
For those playing the new Pokémon Go augmented reality game, be sure to bring your device (and a few spare batteries) during your next trip to Disneyland. It seems that the Disneyland Resort is a hot spot for the game, with several "gyms" scattered all around both parks, Downtown Disney, and the three Disneyland Resort hotels. The parks are also full of PokeStops and Lures, with cast members reporting there are even some PokeStops in backstage areas available only to Disney employees.

The Pokémon Go augmented reality app makes it seem that Pidgeotto is flying down Main Street, U.S.A. Photo by Katie Metzger.

If you have no idea what any of the above means, check back later this week when MousePlanet contributor Katie Metzger shares a Pokémon Go primer. The game is free to play (so long as you avoid the in-app purchases and have a decent data plan for your cell phone), and it may make passing time in line more enjoyable.

Rich T

From Mouseplanet:...The game is free to play (so long as you avoid the in-app purchases and have a decent data plan for your cell phone), and it may make passing time in line more enjoyable.
I will never publicly admit how much I've spent on Pokeballs, incense and Lucky Eggs over the last couple of weeks. Oh well, Nintendo's like Disney to me; I don't mind giving them my cash when they're giving me more than my money's worth of fun in return. :)

Curious Constance

I will never publicly admit how much I've spent on Pokeballs, incense and Lucky Eggs over the last couple of weeks. Oh well, Nintendo's like Disney to me; I don't mind giving them my cash when they're giving me more than my money's worth of fun in return. :)
You can tell me. We're not in public.

Magenta Panther

The key difference here is that Pokemon Go is a clever, fun game based on one of the most popular IPs on the planet. If you don't like Pokemon, that's fine, but don't hate it just because a lot of people are enjoying taking funny photos in an ingenious game. And, again, phones should not be used for any reason inside attractions.

Fair enough. But I still can't imagine walking around a place like Disneyland while staring at a cellphone trying to catch cute little monsters so they can be made to try to kill other cute little monsters. Kawaii pitbull fighting. Just not my thing, I guess.

Rich T

Fair enough. But I still can't imagine walking around a place like Disneyland while staring at a cellphone trying to catch cute little monsters so they can be made to try to kill other cute little monsters. Kawaii pitbull fighting. Just not my thing, I guess.
Seriously, I love this game but I would only consider searching for my Kawaii pitbulls at DL if it was my 10,000th visit to the park (which it would be). I'd spend one hour taking cute photos of Pokemon stomping around in my favorite park, and that it would be it--Because the game would completely drain my phone's battery in that time. :D
(UPDATE) Pokemon don't kill each other. They make each other "faint..." by beating each other to a pulp. While looking adorable: D

Last edited:

Phroobar

Original Poster
Thanks goodness you don't. However the majority of people ARE walking around Disneyland staring at their phones and texting people or playing other games. They could be walking through a unfinished warehouse and never know it. It's pretty sad.

Phroobar

Original Poster
From Mouseplanet:

Pokémon Go at Disneyland
For those playing the new Pokémon Go augmented reality game, be sure to bring your device (and a few spare batteries) during your next trip to Disneyland. It seems that the Disneyland Resort is a hot spot for the game, with several "gyms" scattered all around both parks, Downtown Disney, and the three Disneyland Resort hotels. The parks are also full of PokeStops and Lures, with cast members reporting there are even some PokeStops in backstage areas available only to Disney employees.

The Pokémon Go augmented reality app makes it seem that Pidgeotto is flying down Main Street, U.S.A. Photo by Katie Metzger.

If you have no idea what any of the above means, check back later this week when MousePlanet contributor Katie Metzger shares a Pokémon Go primer. The game is free to play (so long as you avoid the in-app purchases and have a decent data plan for your cell phone), and it may make passing time in line more enjoyable.

That must drive certain people around here nuts!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom