Pokemon Go at Disneyland

disney4life2008

Not during the freaking show I hope~!

The last time I saw Philharmagic, the lady cast member who was telling the audience to turn off their phones got a little tough on some stupid girl who was still texting. The CM told her, "Ma'am, the show lasts about eleven minutes. You can live without your phone for that long." Man, I wish I'd gotten that lady's name. I'd love to commend her to TDO. Not that I'd tell TDO exactly what she'd done; they might think her rude, horrors! But I think she did exactly the right thing. WDW needs more CMs like her.

Unfortunntely, it was during the show.

Rich T

I've been to Disneyland hundreds of times. Here is another way to have fun in the park and enjoy it. Its no different from playing those official Disney games. Besides I would rather do this than constantly text someone every minute of the time there.
I'd rather see something like this than have something like "Sorcerers of the MK" or Kim Possible at Epcot where screens and props are physically installed all over the parks.

NiarrNDisney

Because of the nature of the game; the fun is in seeing the creatures come to life in the real world around you. This is a chance to get a photo of Pikachu meeting the Mad Hatter. I'm sure--at least I hope--most players at DL are frequent visitors just having fun seeing the park in a different way. Don't worry; the game should be exiting its "big new craze" phase soon and usage will drop.

Yes I am sure it is just a fad and like all fads will eventually come to an end.

yookeroo

During shows is just wrong. I mean... Even if you had a chance to take a picture of Charizard on the stairs with Elsa singing "Let It Go"... Man, that sounds tempting... No, no I'm sticking to courtesy. It's not really any worse than taking normal photos or video during shows, but I don't like seeing *any* kind of phone use during performances.

But if a Mew shows up in the Hyperion, all bets are off.

Variable

I
My vacation starts in just 43 days. I guess the fad will still be going strong when I arrive in Orlando. I'm not playing, but I'll watch out for those that are.

I wonder if these people are going to hold up the lines while they stand there trying catch these things. Get moving buddy, or were rolling over you.

Rich T

I love how clever merchants are taking full advantage of the increased foot traffic. One of the very best elements of Pokemon Go is the way it points out works of art and small historic landmarks in familiar areas that most people would otherwise walk right past. In my town the game's introduced me to about a dozen little murals, statues and fountains I'd never visited before. I don't have a chance right now to see which DL points of interest are marked as Pokestops, but it would be great if the Imagineers could work with the developers on that and turn it into a true Disneyland history scavenger hunt-- But Nintendo's signed with Universal in the theme park dept., so...won't happen. Disney, however, really should look into their own AR adventure...

As Mr. Goat posted earlier, Disney picked a really bad time to lay off all their game development staff.

D

Deleted member 107043

As Mr. Goat posted earlier, Disney picked a really bad time to lay off all their game development staff.

I kind of disagree with this. I live in SF, and here in the world's tech hub game development and lasting careers in the field are extremely hit or miss. Imagineering could easily contract some designers to create an app like this one (or better) and leverage it with MyMagic+ for use in its parks. Disney has more than enough resources to create a Pokemon Go without running an entire gaming company.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rich T

I kind of disagree with this. I live in SF, and here in the world's tech hub game development and lasting careers in the field are extremely hit or miss. Imagineering could easily contract some designers to create an app like this one (or better) leverage MyMagic+ for use in its parks. Disney has more than enough resources to create a Pokemon Go without running an entire gaming company.
I see your point. I guess I'm still bitter about Disney pulling the plug on Infinity-- a brilliant experiment that might have kept evolving into the most impressive virtual world ever. Realistically, it's probably a smart move for Disney to just make money off their IPs and let other companies shoulder the risks of developing the games-- Especially when the business model for the gaming industry is in such a state of flux right now.

But, however they accomplish it, let's hope Disney gets financially inspired by Pokemon Go. A well-done AR game using all the Disney characters would be a blast.
(EDIT) Oh, cripes...Kingdom Hearts AR would be amazing....

disneyKaiju

Ive been wondering if anyone has been playing at DLR. What are the most common pokemon that pop up there?

Ive been running into a lot of water types here(WDW). Psyduck, Magikarp, Slobro, Golbats, and ofcourse Rattatas and Pidgeys galore. And then then ocasional uncommon-rare ones will pop up at super random times.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom