Pixar Inside Out 2015

Sped2424

Every single review I have seen for this film have all said the same thing. This is not just a return to form for pixar, this is a film that elevates their high bar even higher for what they can accomplish. And that quip alone has me beyond excited for this film. I knew it would be special when they first announced it way back when.

Magenta Panther

Every single review I have seen for this film have all said the same thing. This is not just a return to form for pixar, this is a film that elevates their high bar even higher for what they can accomplish. And that quip alone has me beyond excited for this film. I knew it would be special when they first announced it way back when.

Me too! I was getting worried that Pixar had lost its mojo. The sequels they've been making were, well, understandable from a financial viewpoint, but still awful. But now it sounds like they've found their footing again. I couldn't be happier, and I too can't wait to see this movie!

RobUK

I saw the original today at the cinema for the first time and that is by a mile the most intelligent and creative thing Pixar has done in quite some time. So, so clever. If the whole film is like this, with interactions and scenes that we can all relate to then we're all going to love it.

The need a rule at Pixar: one original film for every sequel they make. I'm probably the only person in the world who didn't like Toy Story 3, mind you.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
So I have been seeing these State Farm Inside Out commercials recently. Is this the first time they have done this sort of promotion on a Pixar, or even Disney animated movie?

Sped2424

So I have been seeing these State Farm Inside Out commercials recently. Is this the first time they have done this sort of promotion on a Pixar, or even Disney animated movie?
Disney is promoting this one heavily. Me thinks they know it's a gem or Iger believes in pixar in ways he doesn't Disney animation (shocker).

englanddg

One Little Spark...

I just got home from a preview showing at my local theater. I was actually going to go see Ultron (no, I still haven't seen it yet), but I noted that they had a special showing of Inside Out, so I decided to jump on the chance!

And, wow.

Just...wow.

I'll summarize this review before delving into details. This may be the best Pixar film in nearly a decade. It has the heart of the beginning of Up and Finding Nemo, the interesting characters that make you care about them like the Incredibles, and the chracter and comedy of Ratatouille.

What a GREAT movie! You should go see it. Like, right now!

<I'll wait>

Ok, back yet? Lets dig into this beast!

I won't cover the basics in this review. Meaning, I will glance on common things reviewers normally cover, but I'm not going to divide them up strictly by character, plot, etc...

Also this review has NO SPOILERS.

As a side note, I will say, if you have avoided detailed teaser trailers up until now, don't go watch them. It helps with the film. Not that they give away that much (they don't), but they do reveal the basic plot, which is actually less fun than discovering it for yourself. I'm glad I gave them a wide berth, and after having seen the movie and going back on youtube and watching the teaser trailers, I am even happier I made that choice.

The main character, Riley, is an 11 year old girl who goes through something traumatic at any age, but especially around this time. She moved to a new city. Now, confession time...I gleaned a lot from this movie and it's emotional commentary. Why?

I've...been Riley. Well, no, not an 11 year old girl who loves Hockey...but, I was a military brat. In fact, it wasn't until the past seven years that I'd lived anywhere longer than 4 years in my life. And, I don't mean "we moved to a new house in the same town". We moved to new states, new countries.

I know EXACTLY what it feels like during those pivotal late childhood/early adolescence times to be ripped away from friends and a comfortable environment, into a scary one. I know what it is like, with first hand experience, to have the moving truck be "late" and have to stay in temporary housing or even camp out in an empty house.

These experiences resonated with me. And, it would have been so easy for the film to get the emotional reactions to them, and how especially the semi-aware and developed mind of an 11 year old realizes and deals with those emotions...so easily could the film get this wrong.

But, it didn't. With an emotional punch that will carry, even if you don't have first hand experience of this (everyone has had similar experiences one way or another, and the film does a fantastic job of bridging that specific story gap and using it symbolically as well as a plot point.) Memories came flooding back of our many moves, thoughts I hadn't dredged up in a very long time, and I found myself nodding...yes. This is exactly what it feels like at that age.

And, I do mean emotional punch. Be forewarned, this is Pixar bringing its "A" game.

Sure, there are lots of laughs (not just me, the whole theater) and a lot of jokes that are extremely well written double entandres (the "Bear" joke, to an adult quasi familiar with LBGT culture will understand the underlying joke, I mean, this IS set in San Francisco, while a kid will laugh at the funny mental image...and, the joke WORKS both ways...this is family script writing at it's BEST!)

But, back to Pixar. Pixar, at their peak, isn't just about making you laugh. They punch you in the gut and make you sniffle, only to pick you back up again, dust you off, and make you smile. All while presenting you a complex enough concept to chew upon and think about even after you've left the theater.

This is that sort of movie.

You will cry, or at least get a knot in your throat. People in the theater around you will cry (the lady next to me and the group behind me were sniffling up a storm), and you will laugh...a lot!

I was initially concerned that this would be some bastardization of the Smurfs (representing emotions) with a dash of Despicable Me Minions, and Osmosis Jones. I thought the character design looked kitch and predictable.

I was wrong. So, lets talk about design. The sets and surroundings are reminiscent of Wreck it Ralph. But, in a very good way. They are colorful and imaginative, and dark when they need to be. They work so well because they play such a perfect juxtaposition to the "real world" animation style used during the non...well, for lack of a better term, "outside the head" scenes.

Together, they bind into a thoroughly believable world that you can get lost in and enjoy the story. There are not a lot of side characters in this movie aside from the main emotions, but the ones they did add were well done, and serve for the more goofball comic relief that allows the main characters to continue their own journeys.

One thing I will note, it would have been easy to have the emotions conflict with each other in a completely different way than they did. The writers found a way to sell you on the traits of each emotion, yet showed perfectly how they work together well and respect each other. Again, the easy joke would have been a popcorn fare script with conflicts here (disgust and anger snipping at each other, anger yelling at everyone, list goes on). That is NOT how they related to each other, and that was a very pleasant surprise for me.

The soundtrack is extremely well done, as you would expect from Giacchino. The music is not the star of the film, but it does what a film's score should do, and accentuate the story. It's also very pleasant to listen to (I really enjoy the opening and ending credit songs.

The one thing I will say that was another nice touch is they not only "world built" inside the child's head, they also expanded that same "reality" to others. The mother and father both have their controlling emotions, and if you stay through the early credits scenes you'll discover that...so does everyone (and every living animal) in this universe. A VERY nice touch!

The Forgetting Process is really innovative, and has some nice dialogue.

Also, and this is meant in a good way, but it reminds me of playing the Sims.

Ok, now to get a bit more serious. This is not a film only for children. This is a film that tells a deep and emotional story. Yeah, you'd expect that for a movie about emotions, right? But, as I noted, it would have been so easy to take a slapstick or goofy angle with this. But, not Pixar. Oh no. This is a film about depression, learning to cope and growing up.

It does not gloss over things. It deals with them quite directly. I don't want to say too much here, because it's getting close to spoiler territory, but one of the scenes near the end is absolutely beautiful, and tragic. Probably the main scene that led to this getting a PG rating. And, not something you'd expect. It's a bittersweet moment that is classic storytelling, and yet has so many real world implications that, to me, that was the moment that brevity of the way they were discussing this topic (depression) really hit me, and all of their metaphors and references clicked in my mind.

This is a movie that can be enjoyed by all, but I think the target audience who will appreciate it the most are parents. Specifically mothers or fathers with daughters around that age or older. Not that the story doesn't reach beyond that group, but the relatability to it and the beautiful way the team at Pixar handled what is an extremely complex topic, lay more with that demographic. They'll get the nuances of the film at a level that others probably will not, at least outside of intellectually.

This film has heart, and a LOT of it!

In all, oh...wait, I wrote my summary in the first few lines. Go back up there...read it again!

Maybe I'll go see Ultron later this week! Lets see what MY emotions think about the Ultron trailer!?!

So, for making it this far, I'll reward you with an easter egg to look (or listen) for!

As this is a Disney forum, this will mean something...Keep an ear out for this!

I won't tell you the scene (you'll find out), but it IS there and prominent through one specific scene(and I suspect I was one of the few in the theater than knew it immediately, much less noticed it).

Last edited:

Zweiland

I won't tell you the scene (you'll find out), but it IS there and prominent through one specific scene(and I suspect I was one of the few in the theater than knew it immediately, much less noticed it).

Is it bad that out of everything you said, this is what I got excited for the most? :D

Can't wait to see it!

Mike S

I just got home from a preview showing at my local theater. I was actually going to go see Ultron (no, I still haven't seen it yet), but I noted that they had a special showing of Inside Out, so I decided to jump on the chance!

And, wow.

Just...wow.

I'll summarize this review before delving into details. This may be the best Pixar film in nearly a decade. It has the heart of the beginning of Up and Finding Nemo, the interesting characters that make you care about them like the Incredibles, and the chracter and comedy of Ratatouille.

What a GREAT movie! You should go see it. Like, right now!

<I'll wait>

Ok, back yet? Lets dig into this beast!

I won't cover the basics in this review. Meaning, I will glance on common things reviewers normally cover, but I'm not going to divide them up strictly by character, plot, etc...

Also this review has NO SPOILERS.

As a side note, I will say, if you have avoided detailed teaser trailers up until now, don't go watch them. It helps with the film. Not that they give away that much (they don't), but they do reveal the basic plot, which is actually less fun than discovering it for yourself. I'm glad I gave them a wide berth, and after having seen the movie and going back on youtube and watching the teaser trailers, I am even happier I made that choice.

The main character, Riley, is an 11 year old girl who goes through something traumatic at any age, but especially around this time. She moved to a new city. Now, confession time...I gleaned a lot from this movie and it's emotional commentary. Why?

I've...been Riley. Well, no, not an 11 year old girl who loves Hockey...but, I was a military brat. In fact, it wasn't until the past seven years that I'd lived anywhere longer than 4 years in my life. And, I don't mean "we moved to a new house in the same town". We moved to new states, new countries.

I know EXACTLY what it feels like during those pivotal late childhood/early adolescence times to be ripped away from friends and a comfortable environment, into a scary one. I know what it is like, with first hand experience, to have the moving truck be "late" and have to stay in temporary housing or even camp out in an empty house.

These experiences resonated with me. And, it would have been so easy for the film to get the emotional reactions to them, and how especially the semi-aware and developed mind of an 11 year old realizes and deals with those emotions...so easily could the film get this wrong.

But, it didn't. With an emotional punch that will carry, even if you don't have first hand experience of this (everyone has had similar experiences one way or another, and the film does a fantastic job of bridging that specific story gap and using the movie symbolically as well as a plot point.) Memories came flooding back of our many moves, thoughts I hadn't dredged up in a very long time, and I found myself nodding...yes. This is exactly what it feels like at that age.

And, I do mean emotional punch. Be forewarned, this is Pixar bringing its "A" game.

Sure, there are lots of laughs (not just me, the whole theater) and a lot of jokes that are extremely well written double entandres (the "Bear" joke, to an adult quasi familiar with LBGT culture will understand the underlying joke, while a kid will laugh at the funny mental image...and, the joke WORKS both ways...this is family script writing at it's BEST!)

But, back to Pixar. Pixar, at their peak, isn't just about making you laugh. They punch you in the gut and make you sniffle, only to pick you back up again and make you smile. All while giving you a complex enough concept to chew upon and think about even after you've left the theater.

That is this sort of movie.

You will cry. People in the theater around you will cry (the lady next to me and the group behind me were sniffling up a storm), and you will laugh...a lot!

I was initially concerned that this would be some bastardization of the Smurfs (representing emotions) with a dash of Despicable Me Minions, and Osmosis Jones. I thought the character design looked kitch and predictable.

I was wrong. So, lets talk about design. The sets and surroundings are reminiscent of Wreck it Ralph. But, in a very good way. They are colorful and imaginative, and dark when they need to be. They work so well because they play such a perfect juxtaposition to the "real world" animation style and scenes.

Together, they bind into a thoroughly believable world that you can get lost in and enjoy the story. There are not a lot of side characters in this movie aside from the main emotions, but the ones they did add were well done, and serve for the more goofball comic relief that allows the main characters to continue their own journeys.

One thing I will note, it would have been easy to have the emotions conflict with each other in a completely different way than they did. The writers found a way to sell you on the traits of each emotion, yet showed perfectly how they work together well and respect each other. Again, the easy joke would have been a popcorn fare script with conflicts here (jealousy and anger snipping at each other, anger yelling at everyone, list goes on). That is NOT how they related to each other, and that was a very pleasant surprise for me.

The soundtrack is extremely well done, as you would expect from Giacchino. The music is not the star of the film, but it does what a film's score should do, and accentuate the story. It's also very pleasant to listen to (I really enjoy the opening and ending credit songs.

The one thing I will say that was another nice touch is they not only "world built" inside the child's head, they also expanded that same "reality" to others. The mother and father both have their controlling emotions, and if you stay through the early credits scenes you'll discover that...so does everyone (and every living animal) in this universe. A VERY nice touch!

The Forgetting Process is really innovative, and has some nice dialogue.

Ok, now to get a bit more serious. This is not a film only for children. This is a film that tells a deep and emotional story. Yeah, you'd expect that for a movie about emotions, right? But, as I noted, it would have been so easy to take a slapstick or goofy angle with this. But, not Pixar. Oh no. This is a film about depression, learning to cope and growing up.

It does not gloss over things. It deals with them quite directly. I don't want to say too much here, because it's getting close to spoiler territory, but one of the scenes near the end is absolutely beautiful, and tragic. Probably the main scene that led to this getting a PG rating. And, not something you'd expect. It's a bittersweet moment that is classic storytelling, and yet has so many real world implications that, to me, that was the moment that brevity of the way they were discussing this topic (depression) really hit me, and all of their metaphors and references clicked in my mind.

This is a movie that can be enjoyed by all, but I think the target audience who will appreciate it the most are parents. Specifically mothers or fathers with daughters around that age or older. Not that the story doesn't reach beyond that group, but the relatability to it and the beautiful way the team at Pixar handled what is an extremely complex topic, lay more with that demographic. They'll get the nuances of the film at a level that others probably will not, at least outside of intellectually.

This film has heart, and a LOT of it!

In all, oh...wait, I wrote my summary in the first few lines. Go back up there...read it again!

Maybe I'll go see Ultron later this week! Lets see what MY emotions think about the Ultron trailer!?!

So, for making it this far, I'll reward you with an easter egg to look (or listen) for!

I recognized the music right away as well ;) Inside Out was great but it didn't make me cry and I'm someone who admits to crying every time at the beginning of Up. Don't get me wrong, certain parts were still very sad. The short Lava hit me hard though. I can't get that song out of my head, but in a good way. Never in my life did I think that I would relate to a singing Volcano. If it doesn't win Best Animated Short something is seriously wrong.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I recognized the music right away as well ;) Inside Out was great but it didn't make me cry and I'm someone who admits to crying every time at the beginning of Up. Don't get me wrong, certain parts were still very sad. The short Lava hit me hard though. I can't get that song out of my head, but in a good way. Never in my life did I think that I would relate to a singing Volcano. If it doesn't win Best Animated Short something is seriously wrong.
The mothers/ladies around me were sniffling a lot. I suspect it resonated with them quite well.

Myself, it got to me as the father of a child who is 10, nearly 11, and she is starting to exhibit some of these emotional traits (I see it in our interactions), where Joy is no longer the overriding / ruling emotion. Hence why I said I think it will resonate more with that demographic than others.

Also, as I noted, I directly and very personally related with her story (I won't go into much more detail than that...but...you can infer what that means).

It touched me in a way a film hasn't in a while (Saving Mr. Banks was probably the last film to hit me this deep emotionally, but for different reasons, none of them having to do with "disney", but rather the story being told as it was told).

Lava was pretty good. Not my cup of tea. Not enough of a blend of sappy and funny...too much sappy. I don't mind sappy, but you have to balance it out. I did enjoy the pun though, and the song was neat!

I agree, it's hard to beat the beginning of Up for an emotional gut punch, but this is the closest to that opening that Pixar has come...ever, at least to me. Brave, Monsters Inc and Cars 2 just didn't have it...at all...though Brave tried. Hard. (oddly, Wreck it Ralph had more emotional punch than Brave...and that wasn't Pixar!)

@magicdisneypass

I don't know if it was the intent for color palette, but I always associate Yellow, Red and Orange with sunshine and warmth. Those are "Happy and joyful" things. Blue does seem to be contradictory for a warm color. Maybe she's not a 'natural' blue...
It's part of the moral of the story as you will see if you watch it. You can't have Joy without a little bit of Sadness!

@magicdisneypass

Some other points:

-The Figment cameo is there, but it's very brief, and given the context actually pretty sad/symbolic depending on how you interpret it.
-The instrumental to Grim Grinning Ghosts appears in the film.
-There's at least one Finding Nemo easter egg in Imaginationland...
-And a "For the Birds" cameo in the opening titles.
Don't forget the Rockin Rollercoaster on family Island!

@magicdisneypass

Saw this last night at DTD in 3D at the AMC 24 and I have to say I loved it! I loved the script, the awesome use of vocabulary kept me interested. I wished that Pixar had pulled a little harder on my heart strings, they have a knack for bringing a tear to my eye, and it is absolutely worth seeing in the theater in 3D. The animation was amazing and the storyline was captivating. Yet another Pixar home run! I smell an Oscar!

Sped2424

I could rant about how clever this film is for days I really could this is the level of sophistication that felt missing from the last few Pixar ventures. There's a soul to this movie, and it's so viable that you remember all over again why Pixar is the powerhouse that is today. I laughed, I cried (not as much as I expected too, but that's not a bad thing), but most importantly I felt something for this movie that I hadn't felt for a Pixar movie since Toy Story 3. I am glad to see they are back. I'll probably post a full review on here soon, but if you are on the fence about seeing this film do yourself a favor and jump off. You won't regret it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom