PHOTOS - New bag check areas greatly enhance Magic Kingdom arrival experience

nickys

Premium Member
The Contemp setup is messy. There is a security point for guests using the escalator, and a second one for guests using the elevator. There is a gap in between the two that allows access to the restroom.

Off topic, but have you spent the entire morning so far touring round the security screening points this morning? I have visions of one person doing nothing but riding the monorail, boats, ferries to and from MK in order to test all these out!! Or do you have pixies reporting in?

JDL30

Exactly my point as to why all of this is just smoke and mirrors to make guest feel safe. Having just the metal detectors alone should be sufficient enough to detect any small scale threat. Rummaging through bags is pretty pointless.

Exactly my reply above, if Disney really wanted to provide actual security they would use airport style screening.

I would assume Disney have to be showing due diligence - as much as checks like this do little to tackle a severe attack (don't forget there are larger safeguards in place to prevent things like that happening - i.e. National security services who will monitoring people who have access to explosives and chemical weapons). These security measures are meant to stop smaller range attacks - Guns, knifes and small scale explosives. They will be a part of a security chain - this is just the above surface stuff meant as a deterrent

rushtest4echo

Wow, what an original and well thought out argument. Kudos!! Seriously, can you contribute something to the conversation that hasn't been tirelessly beaten to death in other discussions about WDW security? None of this has ever been anything less than a 'smoke and mirrors' set up and I don't think this re-configuration was touted as an upgrade to anything except the arrival experience.

While that's true, and he's just bringing up stuff that others (including me) have mentioned- it's still worth repeating in another thread relating to security. It's not an improvement, it doesn't make things safer, and it's not going to prevent the majority of threats anyway. Many of us know this as guests, all of the managers are aware of it, the top security minds at Disney certainly know that it's a bunch of theatre and have said so. Anyone involved in risk management (yours truly) knows that this is largely to satisfy a bunch of asinine directives from DHS (no, not Disney's Hollywood Studios) anyway.

But yes, it does vastly improve the arrival experience at the Magic Kingdom gates. No doubt about that. I just hope their idea of "permanent" bag checks is closer to the existing ones at the other parks and not trash like this that's been an eyesore and terrible crowd management at DLR for the past 15+ years:

WWYCGates-012909-AVP.jpg

For all of the "they get it right at Disneyland" talk that pervades these forums, it's awful stuff like this, the horrid crowd control and their parking situation that makes me wonder if people truly understand the different issues that Disneyland grapples with. That stuff makes the DLR forums say "they get it right at Walt Disney World". ;)

Either way, happy to see the change. Hope some nicer facilities show up soon, but I'm not going to hold my breath. If the current setup is any nicer this time next year at this time, I'd be surprised.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Off topic, but have you spent the entire morning so far touring round the security screening points this morning? I have visions of one person doing nothing but riding the monorail, boats, ferries to and from MK in order to test all these out!! Or do you have pixies reporting in?
Yep we had someone pretty much do that to bring you fine folks the info. :)

Tebo

Any word on how traveling to Epcot via monorail works? Does one have to go through 2 security checks
Each time entering a park you have to go through a security check. Only time that changes is if you have the express bus.

????. Yeah ok, pretty obvious on that part, thanks. Question was if i am getting on the Epcot monorail at the TTC, one has to go through security there and then does one have to go through security again at the entrance at Epcot or once getting off the monorail at epcot can one proceed directly to the ticket gate and not have to go through the security line again.

MCast

The Magic Kingdom's entrance used to be wall-to-wall people, and it was disorderly, chaotic and most importantly, took away the "magic" of arriving to the park. Your first impression upon arrival was tainted.

Now, there is so much breathing room and efficiency. I used to generally mentally prepare myself for the mess of arriving to MK, but now, perhaps, the whole experience can be enjoyable upon entry to the park! Well done!

Rteetz

Any word on how traveling to Epcot via monorail works? Does one have to go through 2 security checks

????. Yeah ok, pretty obvious on that part, thanks. Question was if i am getting on the Epcot monorail at the TTC, one has to go through security there and then does one have to go through security again at the entrance at Epcot or once getting off the monorail at epcot can one proceed directly to the ticket gate and not have to go through the security line again.
Yes you would have to go through security twice. I am just unsure as to why one would park at the TTC to go to Epcot.

JDL30

My worry is more about insane CMs causing harm and all of the third party companies with access to backstage areas of the parks and resorts that make deliveries throughout the day. More needs to be done to address those possible threats than anything.

I can only talk about what I see in the guest facing portions - as I am not an employee. I would suspect that they would also have screening procedures for cast members too (in the same way that employees are screened in airports, just like passengers), assuming these are in areas we don't have access to.

Whatever their faults - Disney aren't stupid. A terrorist attack at one of their parks would be a financial and PR disaster - you only have to see how seriously they take security at Disneyland Paris resort. I would imagine that access on site both onstage and backstage has been thought about thoroughly by someone - in the meantime they've done something positive to stop the congestion at the front of their most popular park - while still screening guests to deter a small scale attack.

Tebo

Yes you would have to go through security twice. I am just unsure as to why one would park at the TTC to go to Epcot.

Do you know this for a fact? Have you actually seen this or heard from someone who had to? Well you are assuming one is parking at the TCC. Maybe one is walking from the Polynesian or is switching monorails to the Epcot monorail after they boarded from a monorail resort.

Jon81uk

You wouldn't park at the TTC for Epcot. You stay at the Grand Floridian, go through security to board the monorail and then go through it again to enter Epcot.
Someone needs to check to see if they have added an express lane from the monorail exit at Epcot to the turnstiles, cutting out the security tables.

lostpro9het

The other major advantage of screening at the resorts and TTC instead is that it eliminates any risk of an idiot with a gun or a knife in a monorail cabin.
Assuming there is no additional screening at MK, one potential disadvantage, or advantage depending who you are, is getting alcohol into MK may be easier. If I'm at the Poly with a bottle of rum I just purchased making my way to my room at the CR whats to stop me from exiting at MK for a round or two rather than going on to CR?

Scuttle

Well they did a good job, and should be duly rewarded with dole whips (with rum). Thanks guys!
Speaking of alcohol.... Say if one were to have a couple airplane alcohol shots in their pocket and wanted to take a monorail ride to the Poly to the GF? This is the small stuff that seems to be such an issue with having these at the resorts.

COProgressFan

Assuming there is no additional screening at MK, one potential disadvantage, or advantage depending who you are, is getting alcohol into MK may be easier. If I'm at the Poly with a bottle of rum I just purchased making my way to my room at the CR whats to stop me from exiting at MK for a round or two rather than going on to CR?

Good point that I hadn't thought of. Alcohol, food, glass bottles, and other "contraband" that wouldn't be permitted at the MK would be permitted while going from resort to resort on the monorail. This seems to be a glaring weak point, though they probably determined this wasn't a significant enough issue.

COProgressFan

The other major advantage of screening at the resorts and TTC instead is that it eliminates any risk of an idiot with a gun or a knife in a monorail cabin.

I wouldn't say it "eliminates" it ... I never trust those absolutes. Where there's a will there's a way (unfortunately). But I will say this does improve monorail safety, and while idiots with guns and knives are a concern, I would imagine the bigger concern would be incendiary devices, which could be much more devastating.

Boy, I miss the world we used to live in ....

Jon81uk

I wouldn't say it "eliminates" it ... I never trust those absolutes. Where there's a will there's a way (unfortunately). But I will say this does improve monorail safety, and while idiots with guns and knives are a concern, I would imagine the bigger concern would be incendiary devices, which could be much more devastating.

Boy, I miss the world we used to live in ....

I have edited my post as I had a similar thought on reading it back!

and yes incendiary devices are a concern, but I would expect someone trying to get one into the park would become a CM and bring it in backstage. It might be because I'm a Brit but gun-related crime seems like a bigger risk in the USA.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom