Peace....

rushtest4echo

Not 100% sure but possibly Forbidden Forrest related according to some of the info from insiders.

So we don't know specifics on theme, story, ride system or timeline but we know it'll be screenless? If others are hearing that too I'd be fascinated to know why screens came up before any other details.

My money is on something like Verbolten at Busch Williamsburg. It's already themed to the black forest, and involves a run away car with a mind of its own. The big gag of the coaster is a hidden drop track which would be something new for Universal that I'd really like to see.

Okay, my money isn't on it. I have no idea what they're up to but that's what I want to see there! :)

Last edited:

rushtest4echo

No matter what excuse they come up with to justify their screen rides, my counter argument will always be "don't design a ride or story concept that is impossible without screens."

Screens are fine, so are simulators - in moderation. Right now they just seem to be binging on them. But if guests continue to approve, and if they can keep delivering impressive rides quickly and (relatively) cheaply, I don't see why they'd be worried about it. Universals ability to get stuff built quickly and with a reasonable budget has a lot to do with screens and motion bases. Still, beyond Potter and Flight if Passage, I personally haven't been all that interested in anything involving screens since Soarin back in 2000!

I'm pleased to see most other parks doing more than that. God help us if Universal ever realizes rides can be developed even faster with even fewer traditional sets by using VR on everything! They can even blow wind and squirt water on you so it'll still have that Universal hallmark! :)

imperius

I understand the too many screens debate when it comes to Fallon, Minions, and Shrek. Spiderman, Forbidden Journey, Kong, and Gringotts are top attractions IMO and easily blow away most Disney rides for me.

I am also happy they will be moving away from them after FF because I would like to see what else they can do.

imperius

I don't picture that since Nintendo is all screens, mostly TV screens. What they do in a game would be hard to do in real life.

I don't see how Nintendo could move away from screens???
Very easily.... All Disney movies are on screens yet they have physical sets for those. DK will be a mine cart coaster, Yoshi a boat ride, and Mario Kart an interactive ride through physical set pieces. Watch the announcement video and see some examples.

raven

I understand the too many screens debate when it comes to Fallon, Minions, and Shrek. Spiderman, Forbidden Journey, Kong, and Gringotts are top attractions IMO and easily blow away most Disney rides for me.

You forgot Simpsons, Transformers, Terminator as well as the new F&F. That is a lot of screen-based attractions between the two parks, 11 in total. Too many for someone like me who gets vertigo very easily on them.

Mike S

Very easily.... All Disney movies are on screens yet they have physical sets for those. DK will be a mine cart coaster, Yoshi a boat ride, and Mario Kart an interactive ride through physical set pieces. Watch the announcement video and see some examples.
First time I've seen anyone say that Yoshi is a boat ride!!! :D

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Well, don't forget practical effects and sets aren't sure winners, they have to be done well. The Dementors and spiders in FJ are awful and laughable. I'd gladly trade them in for a screen.

Jrn14

Well, don't forget practical effects and sets aren't sure winners, they have to be done well. The Dementors and spiders in FJ are awful and laughable. I'd gladly trade them in for a screen.

No way! The physical pieces are the best part of FJ ... I mean I think the ride is a masterpiece but I love the dementors and spiders more than the screens. You only see them for a hot second so they just need to be good enough to startle you... They don't have to be like Hopper or Abraham Lincoln.

Casper Gutman

No matter what excuse they come up with to justify their screen rides, my counter argument will always be "don't design a ride or story concept that is impossible without screens."

Man, you must be really mad that 3 of the 5 major attractions Disney is building or planning to build (FoP, Millenium Falcon, Rat) are entirely screen based - and 2 are simulators! Even worse, one of those, the cornerstone of a land promised at AK since opening, is just a modified version of Simpsons! And I'll bet those churlish imagineers are even going to use a bunch of screens in Alcatraz and River Journey (they even have the audacity to keep featuring screens in the promotional material!).

And Epcot alone already has 8 screen-based attractions!

Look, I think Uni needs to let up on screens and emphasize practical effects. I REALLY want them to do so. That said, the screen thing is an industry-wide issue that gets used as a bludgeon by Disney fans to try and attack Uni without seeming overly partisan. It's so noticeable at Uni because of the rate at which they are building rides, which is a very good thing. I'd also point out that none of their screen-based rides have replaced superior attractions - they're all notable improvements over what came before.

Tom Morrow

I'm not a Disney fanboy or a Universal fanboy, I like both resorts, and I call the shots as I see them. I'm not - as - annoyed with Disney's new attractions being screen based because they already have a very varied collection of vastly different styles of rides throughout the resort.

You also used literal films in your list as if they are simulators to support your argument. Outside of legitimate simulators, Disney's use of screens on rides tends to be to enhance a show scene rather than being the show scene.

barkerbird

Does this mean The View is getting a ride in Disney World? I love me some Whoopi and Joy :D

I sincerely hope the heavy use of screens is just a fad. However, some of my favorite rides are FJ, Spider-Man, and the late, great BTTF. With that being said, It's nice when done correctly, and complimented with AAs. On the flip side, I would say the most enjoyable attractions are completely physical with AAs. Kongfrontation, Jaws, Dinosaur, Jurassic Park and even the Hall of Presidents are impressive. With today's technology, there's no reason to rely so heavily on screens. Universal really dropped the ball with Skull Island, and missed a great opportunity to design something incredible. The Kong AA is the most detailed that i've ever seen, with the most boring and bland personality. He might as well be off with a strobe light on him.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom