Peace....

rushtest4echo

Man, you must be really mad that 3 of the 5 major attractions Disney is building or planning to build (FoP, Millenium Falcon, Rat) are entirely screen based - and 2 are simulators! Even worse, one of those, the cornerstone of a land promised at AK since opening, is just a modified version of Simpsons! And I'll bet those churlish imagineers are even going to use a bunch of screens in Alcatraz and River Journey (they even have the audacity to keep featuring screens in the promotional material!).

And Epcot alone already has 8 screen-based attractions!

Look, I think Uni needs to let up on screens and emphasize practical effects. I REALLY want them to do so. That said, the screen thing is an industry-wide issue that gets used as a bludgeon by Disney fans to try and attack Uni without seeming overly partisan. It's so noticeable at Uni because of the rate at which they are building rides, which is a very good thing. I'd also point out that none of their screen-based rides have replaced superior attractions - they're all notable improvements over what came before.

The last 15 years (and next few) of Universal v Disney new rides and retreads - heavily screen based is bolded, retreads are italics:

Jimmy Neutron: Refit of screen based simulator
Revenge of the Mummy: Traditional dark ride/coaster
Seuss Trolley: Refit of never-opened ride, light theming
Rip Ride Suckit: Unthemed coaster
Hippogriff: Refit of exiting coaster, light theming
Dragons Challenge: Refit/massacre of amazing queue, exiting unthemed coaster

Forbidden Journey: Half screens/half traditional new ride platform
Disaster: Refit of exisiting traditional effects ride
Simpsons: Refit of screen based simulator
Minion Mayhem: Refit of screen based simulator

Kang and Kodos: Flat ride
Transformers: Clone of screen based dark ride
Hogwarts Express: Screen based transport ride
Gringotts: Screen based/new ride platform
Kong: Screen based ride on simuator motion platform with some traditional elements at beginning

Hulk 2.0: Refit/new decently themed queue, existing unthemed coaster
Fallon: Screen based simulator
Fast and the Furious: Screen based dark ride
Nintendo Land: Lets assume at least one of the two rides will be screen based

vs

Imagination: Refit of traditional dark ride
Philharmagic: Screen based theater show
Mission: Space: Screen based simulator
Turtle Talk: Screen based theater show

Stitches Great Escape: Refit of traditional effects show, some screens
Expedition Everest: Coaster with some theming, broken traditional effects
Soarin: Clone of screen based simulator
Seas w/ Nemo: Refit of traditional dark ride, using some screens

Gran FIesta Tour: Refit of traditional dark ride with some screens
Monsters Inc Laugh Floor: Refit of screen based theater show
Midway Mania: Screen based dark shooter ride
"New" Spaceship Earth: Refit of traditional dark ride, added screens for 2nd half of ride

Tron Track: Refit of dark ride with added projections and traditional effects
Star Tours 2: Refit of screen based simulator
Little Mermaid: Traditional dark ride
Deuling Dumbos: Refit flat ride
Storytime w/ Belle: Meet & Greet attraction w/ traditional effects
SDMT: Coaster with traditional dark ride portion, some screens
Frozen Ever After: Refit of traditional dark ride, some screens
Soarin over the World: Refit of screen based simulator

Flight of Passage: Screen based new ride platform
River Journey: Traditional dark ride
Toy Story Coaster: Poorly themed traditional coaster
Buzz Ride: Themed flat ride
Ratatouille: Clone of screen based dark ride
Star Wars First Order Ride: Traditional dark ride with some screens
Millennium Falcon Ride: Screen based new ride platform
Mickey Dark ride: Lets assume screens will be used

Both have plenty of screens, and both have plenty of traditional effects. Half and half for both properties. Lots of refits too. I'm not going to fault Unviersal over Disney when comparing the recent use of screens. However, it's a fact that currently half of Universal Orlando's rides spend much of their time in front of a screen, and there are only a couple of "traditional" dark rides and then largely unthemed coasters and flat rides. Disney's worst offender is DHS, where currently 2 of 5 rides are screen based, and by 2021 there will be likely 4 of 9 rides that heavily use screens. EPCOT is a weird case since many of the "screen" attractions aren't rides so I don't know if people would count those.

I think Universal's sticking point is that most of the time you're parked in front of a stationary screen and not progressing along a path. Even Kong, Transformers and Gringott's suffer from "we're stopped in front of another screen". Compared with their predecessors, Kong replaced a traditional effects version of itself with a ride that mostly happens in front of stationary screens. Transformers mostly stops in front of screens as opposed to Spiderman which mostly moves toward, away from, and past screens without much "down time" and has lots of traditional effects. Gringotts is an amazing ride, but again spends much of its time parked in front of screens without many traditional effects/scenes compared to Forbidden Journey (even if there are motion bases and track switches scattered around).

I hope the reliance on screens goes away very soon. Unfortunately, Orlando has lots of SCREENZ on the docket everywhere. 3 of 5 of Universals planned future rides are screen based. 4 of 8 of Disney's are too. Even at Sea World, Kraken is being ruined with screens and Antartica uses terrible screens so half of their newer attractions involve screens. Screens are great in moderation, but the recent industry wide binge on this tech is really getting pathetic. VR drop towers and kiddie coasters... ugh.

Last edited:

Tom Morrow

I actually don't mind the addition of VR on Kraken. They did say it will be optional. The only downside will be the reduced capacity in a park with already very slow operations. It's a cheaper way for SeaWorld to promote a new experience and they need all the attendance boosts they can get right now. Kraken is also pretty tame for a B&M, it's a good coaster but mostly smooth and forceless so it's pretty much ideal for VR.
The Kong AA is the most detailed that i've ever seen, with the most boring and bland personality. He might as well be off with a strobe light on him.
I think the tone of the scene confuses a lot of riders. Kong is not the enemy in the ride. When you see the animatronic, he just saved you and you are sharing a symbiotic moment - "but don't get too comfortable." I don't love the ride but I love the scene because for once, Universal understood that sometimes its okay to have a scene that isn't chaotic and bombastic.

Mike S

Nintendo Land: Lets assume at least one of the two rides will be screen based
There's three and no they won't.
I think the tone of the scene confuses a lot of riders. Kong is not the enemy in the ride. When you see the animatronic, he just saved you and you are sharing a symbiotic moment - "but don't get too comfortable." I don't love the ride but I love the scene because for once, Universal understood that sometimes its okay to have a scene that isn't chaotic and bombastic.
THANK YOU!!!

You just got out of a great action scene. You can't slow down a bit?!?! Lol.

rushtest4echo

There's three and no they won't.

Sure...

Universal's going to build three rides devoid of screens. In a row. At the same time. From a franchise BASED around content that's always been on a screen. Gotcha.

Not counting refits that didn't have screens in the first place (Hulk/Disaster/Dragons/Hippogriph) you have to count back almost 15 years worth of rides to get 3 that don't heavily rely on screens. Sorry, Universal has lost the benefit of the doubt when it comes to that. They lost it with me when I was personally assured that screens were going away back in early 2015. In fact, I was told that the pipeline had been flushed of screens at that point. Fool me once....

Casper Gutman

Sure...

Universal's going to build three rides devoid of screens. In a row. At the same time. From a franchise BASED around content that's always been on a screen. Gotcha.

Not counting refits that didn't have screens in the first place (Hulk/Disaster/Dragons/Hippogriph) you have to count back almost 15 years worth of rides to get 3 that don't heavily rely on screens. Sorry, Universal has lost the benefit of the doubt when it comes to that. They lost it with me when I was personally assured that screens were going away back in early 2015. In fact, I was told that the pipeline had been flushed of screens at that point. Fool me once....

I mean... almost all the content at both Uni and WDW is derived from material that's usually on screen. What IP-derived attractions don't come from film or television - Seuss Lagoon? Marvel Landing?

And for better or worse, screens are going to be part of most theme park rides going forward - does WDW have a single attraction in the pipeline that won't use screens? The key is how they're integrated with other props and AAs.

As for being told the Uni pipeline was flushed of screens in 2015 - at that time, both Fallon and F&F were just about to start construction and plans were almost certainly solidified. Perhaps whoever told you that was referring to plans that hadn't already been fully greenlit?

rushtest4echo

I mean... almost all the content at both Uni and WDW is derived from material that's usually on screen. What IP-derived attractions don't come from film or television - Seuss Lagoon? Marvel Landing?

And for better or worse, screens are going to be part of most theme park rides going forward - does WDW have a single attraction in the pipeline that won't use screens? The key is how they're integrated with other props and AAs.

As for being told the Uni pipeline was flushed of screens in 2015 - at that time, both Fallon and F&F were just about to start construction and plans were almost certainly solidified. Perhaps whoever told you that was referring to plans that hadn't already been fully greenlit?

I'm not saying that just because Nintendo is derived from a screen that it's the direction they're going. I was just saying that, combined with Universals predisposition to use screens, combined with the recent comments that are completely opposite of what I heard a few years ago all combine to make me less than convinced AT LEAST ONE of the attractions won't be pretty much entirely screen based. That's not even a problem (in a vacuum). I think Nintendoland would almost be a disservice to not have something with screens. The issue is the park it's being built at. Universal Japan doesn't have that same issue, as much of their lineup is still based around traditional effects: (heavy screen use in bold again)

Forbidden Journey
Hippogriph
Minions
Shrek
Sesame Street 4D
Spiderman

Hollywood Dream
Space Fantasy
The Flying Dinosaur
Jurassic Park: The Ride
Jaws
T2:3D
Waterworld
Backdraft
Universal Wonderland
Hello Kitty Avenue
Snoopy Studios
Sesame Steet

Ugh, such a much better rounded park than the two in Orlando or Hollywoods or Singapore's. Their ride lineup (and layout, and team members) crush out parks into dust and our parks are some of the best on earth, lol. Less than 30% of the park is screen based unlike our Studio parks. Nintendoland could have all screen based rides there and the park would still have more traditional effects than our Studios park has. Can't wait to get back to Universal Japan other than the insane crowds.

Either way, whether there are lots of screens or not: you're right that they should be well integrated with physical effects if they're used. I definitely expect that. The whole basis of this discussion related to me "guessing" that at least one of Nintendoland's attractions was going to be screen based. I'm not convinced otherwise simply because the same thing being said now was being said years ago, and the OP's video certainly seems to demonstrate that Creative/typical guests doesn't feel there's an issue with the screens.

Mike S

Sure...

That's what everyone who knows what they're talking about and has proven that they're trustworthy is saying. All three rides won't be heavily screen based and will be plenty physical. The only one that seems it'll make any kind of use of them is Mario Kart during transitions based on this patent.
https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando...-universal-patent-adds-more-evidence.amp.html
Is anyone really going to complain about "screenz" inside Warp Pipes?
I'm not saying that just because Nintendo is derived from a screen that it's the direction they're going. I was just saying that, combined with Universals predisposition to use screens, combined with the recent comments that are completely opposite of what I heard a few years ago all combine to make me less than convinced AT LEAST ONE of the attractions won't be pretty much entirely screen based. That's not even a problem (in a vacuum). I think Nintendoland would almost be a disservice to not have something with screens. The issue is the park it's being built at. Universal Japan doesn't have that same issue, as much of their lineup is still based around traditional effects: (heavy screen use in bold again)

Forbidden Journey
Hippogriph
Minions
Shrek
Sesame Street 4D
Spiderman

Hollywood Dream
Space Fantasy
The Flying Dinosaur
Jurassic Park: The Ride
Jaws
T2:3D
Waterworld
Backdraft
Universal Wonderland
Hello Kitty Avenue
Snoopy Studios
Sesame Steet

Ugh, such a much better rounded park than the two in Orlando or Hollywoods or Singapore's. Their ride lineup (and layout, and team members) crush out parks into dust and our parks are some of the best on earth, lol. Less than 30% of the park is screen based unlike our Studio parks. Nintendoland could have all screen based rides there and the park would still have more traditional effects than our Studios park has. Can't wait to get back to Universal Japan other than the insane crowds.

Either way, whether there are lots of screens or not: you're right that they should be well integrated with physical effects if they're used. I definitely expect that. The whole basis of this discussion related to me "guessing" that at least one of Nintendoland's attractions was going to be screen based. I'm not convinced otherwise simply because the same thing being said now was being said years ago, and the OP's video certainly seems to demonstrate that Creative/typical guests doesn't feel there's an issue with the screens.
A Nintendo ride without screens is a disservice now?

Wow. They can't win with you can they?

Last edited:

rushtest4echo

That's what everyone who knows what they're talking about and has proven that they're trustworthy is saying. All three rides won't be heavily screen based and will be plenty physical. The only one that seems it'll make any kind of use of them is Mario Kart during transitions based on this patent.
https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando...-universal-patent-adds-more-evidence.amp.html
Is anyone really going to complain about "screenz" inside Warp Pipes?

A Nintendo ride without screens is a disservice now?

Wow. They can't win with you can they?

What I said is that those rides obviously lend themselves to using screens and it would be a disservice to have so many Nintendo rides without using any screens. Unfortunately the park here in Orlando that they'll be located in already has plenty of those already. I also said that this won't be an issue at Universal Osaka due to their much lower screen based ride count. I ended the post by stating that it seems as if Creative and typical guests aren't bothered by the prevalence of screens so it's not a big deal anyway.

Try reading the post you're quoting next time, and keep in in context. You clearly didn't do either.

Disneyhead'71

Sure...

Technically, Universal is opening 19 new attractions this year. One of which is screen based.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom