News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

SSG

No offense, but I've disagreed with almost every opinion I've seen you post here, so this doesn't surprise me.

giphy.gif

dweezil78

It is the worst disney ride. Even the Orlando one. Paramount parks (Kings Island and Kings Dominion, now under Cedar Fair leadership) got some premier rides enclosed and themed launched coasters in the 90s, about the same time Disney ordered these vekomas. They are indistinguishable. Super rough, not even good coasters as the focus of their design was on making that spaghetti bowl of track rather than on ride pacing, forces, etc. Over the shoulder restraints , speed, the shape of the cars severely limits visibility and dark ride show. Was built when launched coasters was a new technology and that innovation offset all the other downsides. Now that novelty has worn off and they can't hide how crap it all is IMO.

I think you're being way too harsh on it (at least the DHS version). It's a bit dated now which can be (and should have been) easily fixed by swapping with a different band and updated pre-show video. The ride itself has pretty cool theming for a rollercoaster and the launch is still thrilling. It's a plussed up Space Mountain with a different theme, I think it should be held to similar standards. It's not aiming to be an amazing dark ride.

D

Deleted member 107043

I think you're being way too harsh on it (at least the DHS version). It's a bit dated now which can be (and should have been) easily fixed by swapping with a different band and updated pre-show video. The ride itself has pretty cool theming for a rollercoaster and the launch is still thrilling. It's a plussed up Space Mountain with a different theme, I think it should be held to similar standards. It's not aiming to be an amazing dark ride.

FWIW I think WDW's Space Mountain is pretty lame.

PiratesMansion

It is the worst disney ride. Even the Orlando one. Paramount parks (Kings Island and Kings Dominion, now under Cedar Fair leadership) got some premier rides enclosed and themed launched coasters in the 90s, about the same time Disney ordered these vekomas. They are indistinguishable. Super rough, not even good coasters as the focus of their design was on making that spaghetti bowl of track rather than on ride pacing, forces, etc. Over the shoulder restraints , speed, the shape of the cars severely limits visibility and dark ride show. Was built when launched coasters was a new technology and that innovation offset all the other downsides. Now that novelty has worn off and they can't hide how crap it all is IMO.

While I agree with most this, and Paris' version especially looks horrendous on the outside (and the outdoor queue is EXACTLY like the outdoor queues for the rides you've mentioned), I think the actual ride experience is a little better in Paris. But regardless of iteration, Rock n' Roller Coaster is pretty amazing compared to the horrendous Studio Tour in Paris. Let's put a few props on display from movies nobody's heard of and then end with Catastrophe Canyon! At least DHS was a working studio for a bit while it was open!

GiveMeTheMusic

Hopefully, after TRON opens and the 50th Anniversary festivities end, then we can get gigantic refurbishment like Disneyland did in 2003. We can get a new track, new cars, ability to have projections for overlays, and more.

I think that would be great, but I'm not holding my breath. By 2021 Space Mountain will be 46 years old and in dire need of a rebuild. It's in dire need of one now.

c-one

Don't forget about Tough to Be a Bug, probably the best 4D theme park attraction we've seen AND it's not just a rehash of the movie.

No single thing in the Disney universe perplexes me the way the popularity of this garbage 5-minute movie does.

The rides could go into other lands, but the worlds these stories exist in are so unique that they don't generally flow with existing lands. Like Up takes place in the jungles, but it would still feel odd in Adventureland due to the time period and cartoony nature. A Sheriff Woody's Roundup Ride might be fun, but I'm not sure if it would feel right in the realistic environment of Frontierland.

I think this is right on, but I'd also add that the parts of Up that people really loved -- the heartstring-tugging opening up through the actual flight -- don't really align with the jungle parts. Personally I find the pacing of that movie all off mostly because I went from massively invested to bored out of my skull once he landed in the jungle.

Maybe @TP2000 is starting to rub off on me, but when I think of a total redo of the bar, I think of something classy and adult to escape the kids and characters everywhere. Not Buzz and Woody's drinking contest

I would probably go for beer pong vs. Buzz Lightyear, to be honest, but I think this part of the park 100% needs an adult escape, and any steps away from that would be a major letdown for me.

It is, I guess, but the execution production-wise is extremely poor. I mean anyone can build a twisting turning roller coaster, encase it in a gigantic warehouse, throw up some painted black lit flats, crank up some corny Aerosmith songs, and turn the lights off right? It's literally that basic.

Here's the Disneyland Paris exterior, which should set your expectations for what's inside.

2b1a9ac209b54ab4cb455d1a1d2d1a9d--disneyland-paris-roller-coasters.jpg

In fairness, the Orlando facade is miles better than that corniness, as imperfect as it is. I've always found it interesting that Orlando and Paris versions were built close to simultaneously, and the preshow with the band was clearly filmed at the same time. Always wondered what the rationale was. Did WDI always plan to have two versions, one a plussed-up Superstar Limo and one just a coaster in disco lights, and told the band that when filming preshows? Were they just unsure which direction the ride would go until the last minute? It's really weird because I've never been able to figure out what reason there is to have two different versions.

I think that would be great, but I'm not holding my breath. By 2021 Space Mountain will be 46 years old and in dire need of a rebuild. It's in dire need of one now.
Really curious what the long term plan is with TRON going in just in time for WDW Space to celebrate 50 years. I still think the Orlando Space is far and away the best, at least the 90s version. After years of shoddy maintenance and a pointless queue refurb, who knows, and it'll be fully redundant with tomorrowland Tron next door. But that's another forum!

D

Deleted member 107043

In fairness, the Orlando facade is miles better than that corniness, as imperfect as it is.

Miles better?

os-cfb-tourism-column-07252016-20160722

Besides the higher end pavement and landscaping it's about the same level of theming as Paris. Remove the giant guitar and you'd have the backside of a Southern California strip mall.

Last edited by a moderator:

Antaundra

Jeez, catching up on the news, quoting so many posts to add my useless two cents, and I forgot to mention how mad I am about this Incredibles-to-Screamin news. It won't make any sense! Totally awkward and actively harmful addition to the best part of DCA! Come on!

The best part of DCA?
Come On?!?!?!!!!!
Even on opening day Paradise Pier wasn't the best part of DCA.

Jones14

I do have to say that the DHS facade works much better in person, and the upside-down coaster car that turns into the neck of the guitar provides an interesting visual draw.

It's certainly not their strongest work, but it looks better than a good deal of the park it resides in does, and it's a strong improvement over the Paris version. As to the ride itself, I couldn't say, as I haven't been on the Parisian counterpart.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom