One day Pirates of the Caribbean closure for refurbishment

MotherOfBirds

I also prefer the DLP version. But then again, I prefer most of DLP to my native MK.

I seem to remember that MK's Pirates is shorter because it wasn't originally planned for the park but was later added in the 'lil bitty space they had available in AL, hence its brevity.

Goofyernmost

I can imagine someone going to DL's version for ages, then coming to WDW for the first time and riding it...saying "why does it start in the middle?" or something like that
Having seen both in person, to me the largest part of the length is taken up by the ride through the bayou and past the restaurant and the old man at the cabin. Once it left the swamps, except for a couple of scenes it wasn't all that much different. I know that there was a structural reason for having two drops (railroad or something) I could do without even one, so that is not a big deal to me.

The title of the ride isn't the bayou and the pirates... it's just the Pirates of the Caribbean. With that we are getting most of the theme of the ride in WDW. And if we want to ride a boat by a restaurant all we need to do is go to the Mexico Pavilion.

Californian Elitist

Having seen both in person, to me the largest part of the length is taken up by the ride through the bayou and past the restaurant and the old man at the cabin. Once it left the swamps, except for a couple of scenes it wasn't all that much different. I know that there was a structural reason for having two drops (railroad or something) I could do without even one, so that is not a big deal to me.

The title of the ride isn't the bayou and the pirates... it's just the Pirates of the Caribbean. With that we are getting most of the theme of the ride in WDW. And if we want to ride a boat by a restaurant all we need to do is go to the Mexico Pavilion.

You do realize the bayou and the restaurant are incorporated into the overall plot of Disneyland's Pirates? Blue Bayou is supposed to serve as a Southern backyard picnic/dinner. It's not there simply just to be there. I'm sure I don't have to explain the significance of the bayou to you.

Everything in that attraction is there for a reason.

Goofyernmost

You do realize the bayou and the restaurant are incorporated into the overall plot of Disneyland's Pirates? Blue Bayou is supposed to serve as a Southern backyard picnic/dinner. It's not there simply just to be there. I'm sure I don't have to explain the significance of the bayou to you.

Everything in that attraction is there for a reason.
Yes, I know it was basically a preshow to the pirates, but, it really isn't all that interesting, at least to me. And it really never defines what it had to do with Pirates. All I'm saying is the same scene can be found in the Mexico Pavilion or a close proximity. At least that one has a volcano.

Don't get me wrong I think the ride in DL is great, it's just different then WDW. It's longer, but in my opinion, not necessarily better.

Californian Elitist

Yes, I know it was basically a preshow to the pirates, but, it really isn't all that interesting, at least to me. And it really never defines what it had to do with Pirates. All I'm saying is the same scene can be found in the Mexico Pavilion or a close proximity. At least that one has a volcano.

Don't get me wrong I think the ride in DL is great, it's just different then WDW. It's longer, but in my opinion, not necessarily better.

But is there a significance to the restaurant being there? Is there a specific purpose that connects with the overall point? If the answer is no, then there's no point in comparing the boat ride in the Mexico Pavilion to the Blue Bayou in Pirates.

Why do I have the feeling people wouldn't be saying these things if the DL and MK versions were switched?

Little Green Men

But is there a significance to the restaurant being there? Is there a specific purpose that connects with the overall point? If the answer is no, then there's no point in comparing the boat ride in the Mexico Pavilion to the Blue Bayou in Pirates.

Why do I have the feeling people wouldn't be saying these things if the DL and MK versions were switched?
All ears.net says "One of the most beautiful restaurants at Disney World is San Angel Inn which sits on the banks of El Rio del Tiempo (The River of Time). In the background, a pyramid towering above the jungle, a native village, and a smoldering volcano can be seen. San Angel Inn is run by Palmas Services LLC. Their founding began in Mexico City in 1963 when they converted a seventeenth century hacienda into an internationally acclaimed eatery, Restaurante San Angel Inn."

What do you mean if situations were reversed? People here are always saying how much DL is better and looks at WDW with negativity.

See more on Mexico here: land.allears.net/blogs/jackspence/2010/12/epcots_mexico_pavilion_in_worl.html

Californian Elitist

All ears.net says "One of the most beautiful restaurants at Disney World is San Angel Inn which sits on the banks of El Rio del Tiempo (The River of Time). In the background, a pyramid towering above the jungle, a native village, and a smoldering volcano can be seen. San Angel Inn is run by Palmas Services LLC. Their founding began in Mexico City in 1963 when they converted a seventeenth century hacienda into an internationally acclaimed eatery, Restaurante San Angel Inn."

What do you mean if situations were reversed? People here are always saying how much DL is better and looks at WDW with negativity.

See more on Mexico here: land.allears.net/blogs/jackspence/2010/12/epcots_mexico_pavilion_in_worl.html

I was specifically talking about the relationship between the boat ride and the restaurant, not the restaurant itself.

Speaking of specifics, in regards to the 'reversal' comment, I was specifically talking about posters in this thread, starting on page three, who were talking about the apparent insignificance of the extra scenes and details in DL's Pirates. I wasn't speaking generally. And I didn't say "situations", I said "versions". You misunderstood me.

Little Green Men

I was specifically talking about the relationship between the boat ride and the restaurant, not the restaurant itself.

Speaking of specifics, in regards to the 'reversal' comment, I was specifically talking about posters in this thread, starting on page three, who were talking about the apparent insignificance of the extra scenes and details in DL's Pirates. I wasn't speaking generally. And I didn't say "situations", I said "versions".
Ok. But Mexico is a full pavilion. A more appropriate comparison would be how Potc relates to NOS. Everything in the pavilion has a story, history, and significance. I see what you're saying, but the majority of the posters seem to prefer DL's Potc anyway. I know I do, but I also don't feel the scenes cut in the MK version make a huge difference. They're nice but it still makes sense without them, IMO.

doctornick

I do think the Disneyland version is a bit better but honestly, apart from a few added scenes and drops it's not all that different IMO. Everyone talks about how great it is but they're similar enough in my book. It comes out a tad ahead but it's not some spectacular version. I'd *prefer* the Disneyland version but I don't think there's anything wrong with WDW's (apart from things not working, the boats taking on water, etc.).

Completely agree and @Goofyernmost . DL's POTC is better than MK's, but the different is often significantly exaggerated. A lot the significant ride length difference if made up at the beginning of DL's version, which is just relatively boring scene setting through the Bayou -- it's important for setting up the ride, but MK's superior queue fills a similar role. And I totally agree with the extra drop being meaningless; I don't really care about the drops either way but having 2 certainly doesn't make the ride more interesting/exciting to me (yes, I know the drops are functional, but people often cite the second drop in Anaheim as being a superior feature compared to MK).

Aren't the town scenes -- the heart of the ride -- virtually the same?

Again, I would certainly that DL's ride version is superior, but it's not a massive difference despite the ride length. Put a different way, I would argue that IASW at DL is more better than MK's version than the difference between POTC's. The facade and outdoor portions of DL's IASW made for a far better experience.

Californian Elitist

Ok. But Mexico is a full pavilion. A more appropriate comparison would be how Potc relates to NOS. Everything in the pavilion has a story, history, and significance. I see what you're saying, but the majority of the posters seem to prefer DL's Potc anyway. I know I do, but I also don't feel the scenes cut in the MK version make a huge difference. They're nice but it still makes sense without them, IMO.

That was exactly my point (the pavilion).

Why do you prefer the DL version? Besides the extra scenes, is the ride not exactly like MK's version?

Little Green Men

That was exactly my point (the pavilion).

Why do you prefer the DL version? Besides the extra scenes, is the ride not exactly like MK's version?
That's pretty much the main reason. The scenes aren't necessary but they add to it. There is the gold scene at the beginning and the end has extra scenes. MK's scenes are probably larger with more room. Probably because it's better maintained, but there are lots of DL rides that could be said the same thing of. I still like the MK's it just needs some love.

Last edited:

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
After riding Pirates at Disneyland - Pirates at MK completely lost my interest last month. I only rode it at the end of the night when it was walk on.
Couldn't agree more. The DL original blows away the WDW version IMO. To me there is a huge difference in the two experiences. Not that I won't ever ride it again in WDW, but when I do it'll have to be a walk on.

Little Green Men

In terms of movie lingo, if Disneyland's is the original theatrical version and WDW's is the edited for TV cliffnotes version (perhaps in the vein of Star Wars Special Editions with the Jack Sparrow related stuff), then Paris i'd say is a lovingly crafted "Ultimate Extended Cut".

Or in TV terms, DL's is the original aired version in the 60s while WDW is the post 90s edited for syndication version.

Goofyernmost

You don't have to compare anything if you don't want too. I, however, do compare the two and that is my opinion of it and I am pretty sure that my opinion would be the same if the locations were switched. Remember, unless you are told what the significance of the restaurant ride by is at DL it means absolutely nothing and very few people know the reasons. Heck I knew and it still didn't impress me all that much.

Californian Elitist

You don't have to compare anything if you don't want too. I, however, do compare the two and that is my opinion of it and I am pretty sure that my opinion would be the same if the locations were switched. Remember, unless you are told what the significance of the restaurant ride by is at DL it means absolutely nothing and very few people know the reasons. Heck I knew and it still didn't impress me all that much.

What does it matter if people don't know why extra details are put in? Do you think Disney should just refrain from putting in extra details as a whole? I thought that was what put Disney ahead, details.

The title of the ride isn't the bayou and the pirates... it's just the Pirates of the Caribbean. With that we are getting most of the theme of the ride in WDW.

I wanted to comment on this specific part of your previous post. The bolded part just doesn't make sense to me. There are plenty of other elements of both versions that don't directly relate to pirates, but contribute to the overall quality of the ride. The title of the ride isn't "auction of wenches and the pirates", or "mermaids and pirates", or "dog with a jail key sitting outside a jail cell with inmates and pirates", yet each of these scenes enhance the ride as a whole and the overall experience, no?

Goofyernmost

What does it matter if people don't know why extra details are put in? Do you think Disney should just refrain from putting in extra details as a whole? I thought that was what put Disney ahead, details.
Details are very important as long as there is a recognized meaning to the detail. If the whole message is lost the details are just background and nothing more. As someone else mentioned, the details at WDW in the queue line are completely understood and folks know what it means so in that respect, WDW might even be better it's just that the ride itself is shorter.

I wanted to comment on this specific part of your previous post. The bolded part just doesn't make sense to me. There are plenty of other elements of both versions that don't directly relate to pirates, but contribute to the overall quality of the ride. The title of the ride isn't "auction of wenches and the pirates", or "mermaids and pirates", or "dog with a jail key sitting outside a jail cell with inmates and pirates", yet each of these scenes enhance the ride as a whole and the overall experience, no?
Yes and no! Yes, they do enhance the ride but they also are completely connected with the Pirates of the Caribbean in a basic way. Unless someone knows about the history of pirates within the area of New Orleans, it has no meaning, but it does create a longer boat ride. Without that knowledge the story is not going to come through, but, it is a nice addition and the reason that people feel that DL is better than WDW.

Californian Elitist

Details are very important as long as there is a recognized meaning to the detail. If the whole message is lost the details are just background and nothing more. As someone else mentioned, the details at WDW in the queue line are completely understood and folks know what it means so in that respect, WDW might even be better it's just that the ride itself is shorter.

Again, why do the details have to be understood and recognized to be relevant? There is a boot scraper around the facade of DL's haunted mansion to create the Southern plantation feel. California homes don't have boot scrapers, so I would assume most Californians don't know about boot scrapers on the porches of old Southern plantations. Should the boot scraper be removed since most Californians don't know about them?

Yes and no! Yes, they do enhance the ride but they also are completely connected with the Pirates of the Caribbean in a basic way. Unless someone knows about the history of pirates within the area of New Orleans, it has no meaning, but it does create a longer boat ride. Without that knowledge the story is not going to come through, but, it is a nice addition and the reason that people feel that DL is better than WDW.

The story does come through and everything is complete. Things like the bayou and the caves are all part of the overall storyline of DL's version of Pirates. It's a story. This very storyline does not exist for MK's version, which is probably why we're going back and forth.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom