'Once Upon A Time' projection show to replace Celebrate the Magic

The Empress Lilly

Lose the Rapunzel segment
Them thar's fightin' words!
viking.gif

VJ

I agree. Not everything has to have a Walt Disney reference
*ducks for cover*
It should be tasteful and it should fit. World of Color having Walt references is perfect because it fits (and because he hosted the show it's based on). Disneyland Forever/WOC Celebrate having Walt references fits because he created Disneyland (and WOC Celebrate is a celebration of Walt Disney). I don't believe Disney should throw Walt into absolutely everything just because they can. That takes it from a tasteful tribute to money-grabbing in one fell swoop (in my opinion).

Disneysea05

In the Parks
Yes
So far, the only park that I feel has featured Walt in a show and it felt natural is Disneyland. Hearing Walt's opening dedication speech with full orchestra playing while Tinker Bell flies over Sleeping Beauty Castle was one of the most amazing moments in any Disney show I've seen worldwide.

Any other uses, like at Magic Kingdom or DCA, has alway felt a bit forced, to me.

Last edited:

MTBaymax

Was it just me, or was Ms. Pots & Chips speaking not lined up at all with the audio? Looked really poor, though maybe that's just an artifact of the video...

I said we were getting Tokyo projections; I didn't realize we'd get them lock stock and barrel, down to the Japanese dialogue. I suppose if they had more time to prepare, they would've talked to feature animation, fix that up.

tl77

Lose the Rapunzel segment seeing as it was part of Castle Projection shows for years at the Magic Kingdom.
The bit with the lanterns floating up the castle is one of the best effects in the whole show, nothing "visually" is very interesting about the 2 Frozen segments though... it should be something that "looks and sounds" impressive, not just be hit songs or popular movies

Goofnut1980

Dang people around here are haters. It is something new to the domestic parks. It is a change and change isn't always bad.

Folks don't have to be so negative all the time on these boards when Disney changes something. Is it a new nighttime parade? No?! But it's something. And honestly it flows a heck of a lot better than Celebrate the Magic. That show was so choppy and 2-4 second pauses between sequences.

Enjoy something new and fresh instead of always bashing it. We know this isn't the Disney World of 1989 and it will never be. They are a corporation and it is all up to the shareholders. If you want change, spend a few million and buy into the company where your voice can be heard if you want change. Sitting and trolling boards will not change anything. You only ruin the magic for the folks who really do like seeing change.

On top of that, if you don't like how they are doing things, stop going, so the rest of us that go can enjoy the parks. <end rant>

mickeyfan5534

In my opinion it's my favorite projection show still. Im glad they separate that from the fireworks show. I love the music score. Theres only one issue... bell, the beast Ms Potts and chip are at the wrong castle.
By that logic, so are Anna and Elsa. I don't think that it really matters as long as a good story is being told in a thematically appropriate area (a series of fairytales on a fairytale castle in this case)

WDWBryan

meh. I was kind of bored. I liked the old show it was more interesting with the mappings done on the castle.

This is just projecting movie scenes on the castle with only some mapping. The lights are cool. But this is like the star wars show but without fireworks.

AndrewsJ

As much as I love Walt, I think having him in the show would have been unnecessary and would have detracted from the overall story with Chip and Mrs. Potts. Shoehorning Walt in (which is exactly what that would have been) should not be applauded.
After watching it again I think I have to agree with you. Shoehorning him in could be somewhat disrespectful.

VJ

So far, the only park that I feel has featured Walt in a show and it felt natural is Disneyland. Hearing Walt's opening dedication speech with full orchestra playing while Tinker Bell flies over Sleeping Beauty Castle was one of the most amazing moments in any Disney show I've seen worldwide.

Any other uses, like at Magic Kingdom or DCA, has alway felt a bit forced, to me.

Remember... Dreams Come True still stands out to me as the greatest and grandest fireworks show (in a castle park) Disney has ever put on. You can tell they went all-in on it and it shows. You can also tell it was made by people who love Disneyland (and Walt) as much as we do.

JohnD

I agree. Not everything has to have a Walt Disney reference
*ducks for cover*

True. As we all know, the only constant is change. Anything that is changed creates nostalgia and missing what was there before. That doesn't mean the new show isn't good nor does it mean that Walt has to be in the new show. I'm just glad I recorded CTM (which includes Walt) before it retired.

JohnD

Here is our video from a less wet night 2.

Actually, Walt is throughout the entire show and Mickey for that matter, as long as you stand behind the Partners statue. Also each vignette is tied to something in MK (Cinderella's Castle, Peter Pan, Winnie, BATB), with the exception of Anna and Elsa whose new home is Epcot.

Sped2424

I said we were getting Tokyo projections; I didn't realize we'd get them lock stock and barrel, down to the Japanese dialogue. I suppose if they had more time to prepare, they would've talked to feature animation, fix that up.
Even in Japan the dialogue and characters talking are not 1 to 1 it's very much the same as our show. This is more of a taking footage and making it seem like they are talking their lines vs having them actually animate their dialogue.

Sped2424

Anyone seriously thinking Ctm was the better show which in case you forgot was a literal clip show as well has to get the pixie dust out of their eyes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom