'Once Upon A Time' projection show to replace Celebrate the Magic

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
They should make the Castle like the Tree of Life: Several vignettes that play throughout the night. They could then get in a lot more commercially synergistic IPs... erm... fan favorites. They could do little things like characters walk out on to the balconies for a moment as well as shows in the one to five minute range. They could even keep in CtM in the rotation (just not with its own fireworks... the main show, OUAT, gets that), or break up its segments into some of the smaller vignettes.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
That sounds lovely in theory but its impractical, especially with the Christmas lights as they'd have to continually be turned on and off

Really? I don't think dimming the lights for vignette (or a section for a smaller vignette) would be an issue. They turn off the lights for the projection show already, and to repeat the Frozen Wish show on Holiday Nights, and for the fireworks.

tl77

Here's a good comparison between the Tokyo and WDW versions.

(Original Tokyo version with longer Alice segment)

(Walt Disney World)

I think the Original Tokyo show is the better show start to finish, the sequences flow from one to the other better and has better visuals. It's a little slower but I like that it features the attractions for Tokyo's Fantasyland, they have have a lot of Alice stuff there, and are about to get more, plus there's Peter Pan, Cinderella, Pooh's Honey Hunt, and Snow White, and they are getting ready to add a Beast Castle Restaurant and a Tangled area... but over all the Tokyo show feels like something someone really thought out and custom made for that park

The WDW show feels like a thrown together "highlights reel" of Tokyo's show with the Frozen stuff crammed into the middle, but a lot of the best imagery is left out to make room for the 2 frozen songs, and the seem to have more Misses Potts and Chip to glue it all together. I think they should go back to the original Tokyo show at WDW, cut the Alice segment after the "I'm Late" White Rabbit song, and add "Let it Go" after Rapunzel's lanterns... I think that'd make a pretty good show

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
I love that a bunch of you are complaining about the Frozen sequence being too long, yet the BatB sequence is twice as long.

I would say the difference is that BatB is the framing device for the show. It is a BatB show that features sequences fron other movies. So BatB having the most focus makes sense.

And again, I like the Frozen segments and thing they're great, it just seems strange to myself and others that they didn't take out one of the Frozen songs to add in another movie. I was wondering if double frozen was for the holidays or a usual thing, not complaining.

Twilight_Roxas

Maybe the middle part of OUAT could be different like on a Monday it shows Aladdin, Tuesday Little Mermaid, Wednesday Princess and the Frog, Thursday The Jungle Book.

Notes from Neverland

In my opinion, the only part which seems to be a bit long or out of place is the Heffalump song. Really like the part with Pooh, but once it transitions to the Heffalumps, a part which I'd wager most people will be unfamiliar with outside of going on the ride, it kind of loses me. That seems like an opportunity to feature something else. Keep Pooh and his little song, but transition to something else.

MagicHappens1971

I haven't seen it in person yet, but I just did watch it on Youtube, personally I preferred CTM's soundtrack, but I think Once Upon a Time blows it out of the park with it's projections and pyro effects. I also love the search lights around the castle. I'll give a full opinion after I see it in person this weekend

FigmentJedi

I think the Original Tokyo show is the better show start to finish, the sequences flow from one to the other better and has better visuals. It's a little slower but I like that it features the attractions for Tokyo's Fantasyland, they have have a lot of Alice stuff there, and are about to get more, plus there's Peter Pan, Cinderella, Pooh's Honey Hunt, and Snow White, and they are getting ready to add a Beast Castle Restaurant and a Tangled area... but over all the Tokyo show feels like something someone really thought out and custom made for that park

The WDW show feels like a thrown together "highlights reel" of Tokyo's show with the Frozen stuff crammed into the middle, but a lot of the best imagery is left out to make room for the 2 frozen songs, and the seem to have more Misses Potts and Chip to glue it all together. I think they should go back to the original Tokyo show at WDW, cut the Alice segment after the "I'm Late" White Rabbit song, and add "Let it Go" after Rapunzel's lanterns... I think that'd make a pretty good show
Lose the Rapunzel segment seeing as it was part of Castle Projection shows for years at the Magic Kingdom.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Projection mapping wise, I think it's some of their best work yet, but like a lot of other recent Disney shows, it just feels like more of a compilation of Disney Greatest hits (like Disneyland Forever) and has no cohesive flow or eb-and flow of emotions that shows like Fantasmic, Wishes, or Illuminations have...

Was it just me, or was Ms. Pots & Chip's speaking not lined up at all with the audio? Looked really poor, though maybe that's just an artifact of the video...

Last edited:

MrPromey

But little Susie's vacation will be RUINED if she doesn't get to see her absolute FAVORITE Ariel on her family's visit Thursday!

That, my friend, is why they don't do that.

Well, that and because getting captive guest to come into the Magic Kingdom during the evening for even more of their trip is the last thing Disney wants to do.

There's a reason they've been working to make AK an evening park, to produce a regular evening show for the currently broken HS and are apparently starting work on an update to the show at Epcot and it isn't because they want a larger percentage of their resort guests in the MK every evening. ;)

VJ

As much as I love Walt, I think having him in the show would have been unnecessary and would have detracted from the overall story with Chip and Mrs. Potts. Shoehorning Walt in (which is exactly what that would have been) should not be applauded.

wdwgreek

I actually liked it a lot. I think its a huge improvement over the previous show, yes the framing device is obtuse at times, bu chip is adorable. I like the selections they chose, the songs are great, and the mapping of the projections are spot on. Of course its a best of Disney compilation, why wouldn't it be? Wasn't the previous show literally just random songs thrown together?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom