No more steam trains? (rumor)

jt04

This web site popped up recently.

http://www.savedisneysteam.com/

And the petition:

https://www.change.org/petitions/the-walt-disney-company-save-disney-steam

Since WDW is run as a business, and not as a museum it is my opinion this rumor of replacing the steam engines is not far from from the mark. It makes little business sense to continue pouring money into something that is not necessary considering the alternatives. Now don't get me wrong. I have moved a few tons of black rock into a hole(never had to chase the shovel!) and I am a firm believer that steam should stay on the rails in WDW forever. There is no business case for keeping steam alive in the park, but there is a certain bit of magic that would be lost if it were to happen. The steam train somewhere on the berm as you enter the park area by boat, or monorail has always been a welcoming sight for me that I cherish. Knowing that my nephews have learned about steam and enjoy riding this RR because it is steam drives home the point for me that this bit of education is important.

The petition to save Toad didn't go very far with the company apparently. It's gone. They wanted to put in a new experience for their guests. Conversely removing steam from the rails and replacing it with a steam outline does not add to the guest experience. In fact I would say it detracts from the guest experience.

Of course removing the trains altogether is not off the table so I understand. Remember the Skyway? (yep, blatant plagiarism)

Removing the train would have advantages for sure. Of course to do so at DL would be near heresy.

Personally I think there is a way the mouse could negotiate this. I understand there are compelling reasons such as lower operational costs (always important) and enhancing guest safety.

Suppose Disney upgraded the trains per the rumor and then found worthy caretakers of steam engines around the country (there are many) and gave the most worthy ones some sort of grant money. They almost always struggle for cash and they likely will be maintaining and preserving original trains in a manner Disney can't for as long as it is possible.

Problem Solved. :cool:

asianway

I am a member of the Carolwood Pacific Historical Society and just received an e-mail from Michael Broggie the Pesident (he is Roger Broggie's son). He stated that he was informed that the stream trains will not be converted and will continue operate on stream power.
Good news. Question do we know for certain what the hold up is on the Lilly Belle then? Thanks

COProgressFan

I am a member of the Carolwood Pacific Historical Society and just received an e-mail from Michael Broggie the Pesident (he is Roger Broggie's son). He stated that he was informed that the stream trains will not be converted and will continue operate on stream power.

I sat near Michael Broggie at the 2004 Shareholders meeting in Philadelphia with Eisner's substantial no confidence vote. During the Q&A, he introduced himself to the audience, and made an impassioned plea to Michael Eisner to step down from his position.

I'm suspect he could never have guessed that Eisner's successor could be actually be worse, especially in regards to the steam trains. But I think a lot of folks (myself included) had a similar line of thinking.

I hope his information is correct. :) Whether this was ever a serious plan or not remains to be seen, but the fact that it could even be discussed or considered is shameful.

epcot2004

I guess we will have to move the behind the scenes tour to the top of our priority list for the next trip. Hopefully this is a rumor that just fades away...

lazyboy97o

Unfortunately this is not a big reassurance to me given how Disney is willing to twist information. The original rumor posted by Steve DeGaetano stated that the trains would be replaced, not converted. That is the very sort of minute detail to which Disney would latch onto in their spin.

'keep moving forward'
Huh?

Just a fan

I too am a CPHS member and since he said it was okay to share this information, here's the message:

To: Members of the Carolwood Pacific Historical Society
While our Society doesn't engage in rumors, lately there's been a flurry of
misinformation and assumptions surrounding the possible conversion to
Diesel-hydraulic, or the replacement, of the vintage Baldwin steam engines at
Walt Disney World. This message is to inform our members that this is
not going to happen, now or for the foreseeable future. Please share this
information with anyone who values Walt's legacy of preserving America's steam
railroad history.
Thank you.
Michael Broggie
Carolwood Pacific Historical Society

ReggieA

Pardon me for paying attention, but...
In those B-roll clips of a steam train going by (right to left in front of the Castle) which are aired as part of the story about the measles "epidemic", I've looked closely at that engine. There's no steam visible, nor smoke; not even a heat "shimmer" above the smokestack as the engine goes by. The engine looks dead "cold".

Is this really a Steam Engine, or just an amazingly lifelike artists concept of what a steam engine might look like, if they had one in use? (grrrrrr)

lazyboy97o

Pardon me for paying attention, but...
In those B-roll clips of a steam train going by (right to left in front of the Castle) which are aired as part of the story about the measles "epidemic", I've looked closely at that engine. There's no steam visible, nor smoke; not even a heat "shimmer" above the smokestack as the engine goes by. The engine looks dead "cold".

Is this really a Steam Engine, or just an amazingly lifelike artists concept of what a steam engine might look like, if they had one in use? (grrrrrr)
At Disneyland? They're live steam.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom