No more steam trains? (rumor)

peachykeen

Well, one thing is for sure, if this should come to pass, there would be absolutely no point to the Magic Behind Our Steam Trains Tour. I mean, who would want to do the Magic Behind Our Simulated Steam Train Tour?

A few of the guides for that tour have actually gotten together to write a letter to John Lasseter, asking that he talk to "higher-ups" and make sure they understand the importance of keeping live steam in the parks. They figure he's one of the few people who has the "pull" and also loves trains. Hopefully something comes of it.

Last edited:

DisneyGentleman

A few of the guides for that tour have actually gotten together to write a letter to John Lasseter, asking that he talk to "higher-ups" and make sure they understand the importance of keeping live steam in the parks. They figure he's one of the few people who has the "pull" and also loves trains. Hopefully something comes of it.
Is the train in DAK live steam?

ReggieA

In case anyone is wondering, as of 4/13/2014, there have been no trains running on the EBT, nor is any engine there for test runs.

As for the future of Steam, a few points: Thomas the (steam) Tank Engine is still popular. Coors (beer) uses a caricature of a steam locomotive for their "Silver Bullet" logo. And General Electric has a CGI-heavy TV ad running - "My Mom... works for GE". Toward the end, they show a modern Diesel train running through landscapes... but close your eyes, and listen:
that's a steam whistle you're hearing, isn't it? GE no doubt had their choice of sounds to Foley behind their computer generated Diesel, and I'm dead sure they used steam sounds for a very good reason. Somewhere, in the back of our minds, there's just something attractive about Steam.
The Powers That Be at the Disney attractions might take note.

MonorailLover

I was at d23's animation announcement show last year, and was disappointed that they confessed that cars/planes was originally supposed to be trains..... If they had done that, this discussion wouldn't be here.

WildcatDen

I think King's Island still operates Steam Engines. The General. Of course, that 'attraction' has been reduced to no more than a shuttle to the waterpark and back. Sad really. I think they used to actually use live actors as well as animatronics as part of the ride.

Crystal J

This had been one of the more interesting threads to read - I have always loved steam engines (But I am by no means an expert). I try to make it up to the Illinois Railway Museum once or twice a year but they only run the steam engine on certain dates so I try to coordinate my trips up with those dates.

Steam is a thing of the past and is now mainly at museums and tourist attractions. I do hope WDW keeps the steam engines, but with all the alternatives who knows. I do think that steam engines attracts tourist since it is more of a novelty then a diesel engine.

As for pollution from diesel engine that several posters mentioned - there are actually some cities where the emissions coming out of a modern diesel engine is actually lower than the emissions coming in due to the EGR and aftertreatment systems that are used. These areas are classified as “non-attainment” and create a challenge for engineers because of the high emissions levels in the ambient air. (I work at Caterpillar - I am not that knowledgeable on steam - but I know diesel). I would agree with other posters - Steam and Diesel sound very different.

Unplugged

This had been one of the more interesting threads to read - I have always loved steam engines (But I am by no means an expert). I try to make it up to the Illinois Railway Museum once or twice a year but they only run the steam engine on certain dates so I try to coordinate my trips up with those dates.

FYI...something you may want to look into as you visit the IRM. While this is over in Indiana, they have a great little steam show that makes for a great day visit.

http://www.hesston.org/

prberk

We had steam engines awhile ago at Opryland USA. They converted one of the engines to run on diesel instead of steam. No one could tell the difference when either of them chugged by..... And they both were able to use their air powered whistles. :)

Did you work at Opryland, USA? I love Nashville. (Listening to WSM now on www.wsmonline.com.) Wish Gaylord had never torn down Opryland. Worst mistake ever. And now you have a glorious mall!

lazyboy97o

I just feel like based on how popular cars and planes are, disney would want to have as much trains in the parks as they could have if it was trains instead of car or planes.
The rumor is not about the Walt Disney World Railroad being closed, just the actual steam power being removed.

raymusiccity

Did you work at Opryland, USA? I love Nashville. (Listening to WSM now on www.wsmonline.com.) Wish Gaylord had never torn down Opryland. Worst mistake ever. And now you have a glorious mall!
A co-worker was an engineer and was really heartbroken when the bean counters at Gaylord decided to trash a beautiful theme park in favor of Opry Mills. I think 'Rachel' is now hauling tourists in the Carolina's. :-(

ReggieA

The East Broad Top won't be running again this year.
Yes, I know that. I didn't expect it to. We volunteers are still active, though.

But enough folks were wondering about "Lilli Belle" being test run by the mechanics over at the (standard gauge) Strasburg RR on the (narrow gauge) EBT's rails, that I thought I'd report a non-sighting. They're 2-3 hours apart, btw.

And my sympathies on Opryland. Glad the engine is still running, somewhere.
Every year, about this time, there's a catalog of tourist railroads released. Or at least, there was; it's been a while since I looked for it. (Check your local hobby shop, they'd know.) That book is worth your trouble, if you're interested in railroads.

prberk

A co-worker was an engineer and was really heartbroken when the bean counters at Gaylord decided to trash a beautiful theme park in favor of Opry Mills. I think 'Rachel' is now hauling tourists in the Carolina's. :-(

Did you frequent Opryland before it closed? I remember the Wabash Cannonball rollercoaster. It was twisty and a lot of fun. I do not remember seeing "Rachel" there, but I was young and just enjoying whatever I saw.

I think a lot of people have fond memories of Opryland. Wish it were still open. I was hoping that after the flood, they would tear doen the mall and bring it back. I wondered about Dolly Parton's new proposed water park near the old Opryland complex that Gaylord was going to build with her, but now it looks like back to square one, as the Dolly's people backing it decided to drop it (since Gaylord had sold the "Opryland" name to Marriott...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom