No more steam trains? (rumor)

KYWDW

The longer it takes the Lilly Belle to return from refurbishment the more legs this rumor gets. I'd be devastated if it happened but wouldn't surprise me. Flue time and a aging boiler could be other factors.

jdmdisney99

Stop Disney. Just stop.
triple_facepalm_by_spottedheart98464-d3kuyp3.png

gonnichi

I have been fearing this for years. my local six flags has a diesel train. If this actually happens I am through with Disney. Not just the parks but the whole company. It just sickens me to think they may even consider this let alone do it. Universal you are my last hope, save me. lol. I'm not kidding, at least I still have Universal and Potter that are willing to give me high quality for my Money. I have truly been dreading the thought of this for years, and knowing how TDO works I'm not surprised if it does happen. This could be the end of me vacationing at WDW it truly could. To much has been lost already for me, this is the last straw.

Sorry if I got to emotional I hope others are not as upset as I am about this.

CDavid

The tunnel of the railroad in Walt's backyard was 120 feet long on a long "S" curve, so you couldn't see the other end when you were inside. Walt liked the mystery. The foreman on the job suggested it was cheaper to built it straight and Walt said, "It's cheaper not to build it at all. - Walt Disney

Diesel locomotives would indeed be cheaper. :banghead:

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I have been fearing this for years. my local six flags has a diesel train. If this actually happens I am through with Disney. Not just the parks but the whole company. It just sickens me to think they may even consider this let alone do it. Universal you are my last hope, save me. lol. I'm not kidding, at least I still have Universal and Potter that are willing to give me high quality for my Money. I have truly been dreading the thought of this for years, and knowing how TDO works I'm not surprised if it does happen. This could be the end of me vacationing at WDW it truly could. To much has been lost already for me, this is the last straw.

No need to throw in the towel over a rumor.

KYWDW

New Potter train is pulled by a cable.

gonnichi

I'm just thinking about how this will effect Main street USA, Frontierland and the new Fantasyland stations. Steam trains are so amazing and they were Walt Disney's passion. The atmosphere will suffer so much if they are not steam. They just can't take them out now they can't, I'm hoping it is a big rumor. I don't want the MK to be more like my local Six Flags park, I want it to be the best park.

omurice

This would indeed be a shame. I do WDRR grand circle tour a lot. It's at the top of my list when first getting to MK on each trip, if I get into town before 7PM (or when they do the last run). Not sure it could be the same experience without the steam power, those sights and sounds are part of the whole charm.

kylewr86

Im not sure they could do this as the layout currently is. I doubt this would get past the legal issues from the diesel and going through the tunnel behind splash. Does anyone else think this would not happen because of the emissions from the diesel becoming too high of a concentration and giving someone carbon monoxide posioning or something?

articos

Im not sure they could do this as the layout currently is. I doubt this would get past the legal issues from the diesel and going through the tunnel behind splash. Does anyone else think this would not happen because of the emissions from the diesel becoming too high of a concentration and giving someone carbon monoxide posioning or something?
Not an issue.

Absimilliard

The steam trains already run on Diesel as it is. The diesel engine replaced the old coal firebox that those trains came with and it heats up the water to create the steam to make the trains go around. Removing the whole Steam Engines from those priceless locos would be a crime!

If you want to ride a steam train the way it used to be, Dollywood is the place. That theme park in the Smoky mountains of Tennessee has two beautiful narrow gauged (3ft like Disney) locos. One is a 2-8-2 Baldwin locomotive from 1938 and the other is a lighter Baldwin 2-8-2 from 1943. They run one train at a time on a 2.5 miles loop up to the top of the northern mountain of the park. The most beautiful thing? They still run on coal! You got the authentic large black cloud of smoke when it powers up the mountain.

At an American Coaster Enthusiasts event in 2012, I got the chance to go on a steam train shop tour and even got to go check out the cab... WOW.

articos

The steam trains already run on Diesel as it is. The diesel engine replaced the old coal firebox that those trains came with and it heats up the water to create the steam to make the trains go around. Removing the whole Steam Engines from those priceless locos would be a crime!

Correct. The MK locomotives currently run bio-diesel to create steam to drive the engine. The Animal Kingdom locomotives are diesel-hydraulic steam outline built by Severn Lamb, also running bio-diesel.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom